Multi-Time Frame Trend Trading

hi guys

been following Tymen`s thread and now i have descovered this one
i must say that Graviton is doing a great job.

keep up the good work

NB, I think you’re confused about how it works.

You arn’t closing a trade then re-entering, you are overlapping trades.

That’s why my lot = 2 has a risk of -10 (at least if I understand your table rules correctly).

You enter a new trade when the previous lot is half way towards it’s take profit, so in the case of LOT = 2, then the first lot is showing a profit of 10 pips, so you enter a new lot. This makes two lots currently being traded, the 1st which has a risk of 0 as it is set at BE, and the 2nd with a risk of -10 because that is the stoploss.

Then as LOT 1 makes it’s TP of +20, so the 2nd LOT gets set to BE, and a third LOT is entered (because LOT 2 is now in +10 profit). And so on, and son on…

So to recap, these are overlap trades, not back to back trades. if they were back to back you would be quite correct in your statement that the cost of the spread makes it an ineffective system. By being overlap, the spreads are covered and it is more efficient.

I hope I’ve explained it correctly.

Yes, It’s called PCI stoploss. Power, computer, internet. That and quick reversals are really the only reason I run a stoploss. I try to exit trades before sl as soon as I see it’s not going to work. But I always have one.

I can’t say this will work for you. If it does, great! I prefer to take my profits off in chunks of 20, 30, 40 pips at a time. It works for me. I took off 220 pips in small chunks today, Would I have stayed with those trades when I was already 100 pips ahead and the market was tanking? Once stopped out would I have gone back in for another 120 pips?

When I make 220 pips in a day, I’m not worried about spread cost. I’m worried about not losing it back. If that costs me a bit more in spread, I’m happy to pay it.

Graviton, Any chance of a quick wrap-up on how your trades worked today?

Sure. Today was one of those wild days. I was trading in the chat room with several other people from this and Tymen’s thread. I think just about everyone was winning, so we were having fun. I had been short GPBUSD, EURUSD AUDUSD and long USDJPY. I entered at the open of the NY session and was up about 200 pips by the close of the London session. I then lost 50 pips back in a quick market reversal. My open positions all stopped out. Fortunately I was running very tight stops at the time. Then the bottom dropped out of the EURUSD right after the NY close and I made 70 pips back. Apart from the quick nasty retracement after the London close, everything went according to the pretty picture in our collective heads.

I won’t post on this again… but if you close 20 pips of profit and enter another position with 10 pips of risk, you could have just moved your original order’s stop up by 10 and achieved the same thing minus the extra spread. Surely we can agree on that.

If you just entered a 2nd lot at +10 and kept moving the stops up you’d do just as well.

I’m not suggesting this as a strategy. Just that it would have similar expectancy to cordite’s example.

I like the idea of getting 5 lots on while only risking 1 stop. That’s genius Graviton and I’m grateful for your inspiration.

I had 4 lots on GBP/USD short last night. Incredible pips. Compare that with my previous strategy which was to put on 1 lot, take 1/2 off the table at first target and let the rest run. The risk/reward difference is not just out of sight, it’s off the planet!

I didn’t think I was saying that “you could have just moved your original order’s stop up by 10 and achieved the same thing minus the extra spread” was incorrect, as mathamatically it is right. I said it isn’t as efficient as the 5 lot approach.

You can keep moving up your BE, but saving the spread doesn’t equal any gains in this case. Overlapping the trade effectively means you get double the value per pip, whilst keeping the same value = 1 initial risk.

Plus there is the option of keeping the individual lots open and micro trading them, meaning you can have 2,3 4 or 5 lots open at once (in theory) and gain 5x per pip whilst looking for a suitable exit, but where all but the last entry has at least made BE.

I can’t really explain it any other way than I did in my intial reply, where I showed how your target price can be reduced significantly to achieve the same result. The image doesn’t factor in spreads, but at 2 pips a spread you would just add an additional 10 pips total, meaning a TP of 170 pips final.

So yes, I 100% agree that moving up the BE on a single lot as you go along would mean saving the spread and effectivley having the same risk. I disagree though that it is as efficient, nor do I think that making that 100 pips profit is as likely as making 60 pips profit (or 70 pips if you factor in the spreads, but then you could leave the 2nd, 3rd or fouth lot running for another 10 pips to cancel that spread out).

This is my last post on this also, I hope it’s been helpful. If not, it’s 1am here, so maybe I’ve misread…

Moving on though, how did everyone get on trading today?

EDIT - I’ve enjoyed discussing this. Just noticed in your post where you mention using 2 lots, and moving up BE would effectivley be the same thing.

So you got four lots on at the same time! Well then, you have arrived. Great! Isn’t that a blast? :smiley:

I didn’t want to tell people how many pips a day they could make with this. It’s kind of embarrassing. I just thought they would figure it out eventually.

It’s so much fun that once you get it going, in the future you have to be really careful with your trades so that you don’t take a bad one just hoping to get it going again. Of course, when you are getting a 1 to 6 or or better risk to reward ratio, no need to sweat the small stuff.

It’s not a scalping system though, it’s designed to work with a nice long trend. That’s the reason for so much work analyzing charts to try to find a pair that will trend for it.

I’m testing a greatly simplified and more objective method for performing the pair analysis for MTFTT. It has performed well so far :slight_smile:

If it tests out well, I hope to roll it out this weekend. I think that combining Tymen’s BB DNA entry method with the 5 lot system and a really powerful but simple trending pair selector will take down some major pips.

Happy Trading

Great graphic Cordite. Thanks so much. Trading was very good today. Riding the Euro all the way to parity!

I’ll be in the ninja dojo chatroom during part of the NY session tomorrow. Stop by if it convenient.

Happy Trading

Using the 5-lot system I described, you get to 100 pips at price 140, while still only risking 1x stop, still locking in profits on the way and you haven’t even opened the 5th lot at that point.

I’ll draw a graphic later, when I’m not at work :o

Got 2 lots on aud/usd long at the moment, profit locked in. Will open a 3rd if it breaks daily pivot.

The great thing is that you can get all these lots on with a much smaller account. I’d never even think of putting 5 full lots on with less that $50k capital, but using this system you can do it with $10k… and then you can make 10% in one trade (thank you gpb/usd!) while only risking 2%.

I would be very keen to hear more about this. Thanks for putting in the work, Grav! :cool:

Sounds great! Looking forward to seeing the graphic.

I’d tried using multiple lots before, but never in a way that Graviton described. I just didn’t like it. After graviton explained it it became obvious that the benefits were real.

If you can get to 100 pips profit at price 140 whilst still only risking 1 x stop, then that could really unlock some huge future gains, and I’m very keen to see it! :smiley:

As a note - I’ve been using LOTS only as an explanation of each segment of the multiple trade. For me, each lot = 1% of my account capital, so that at any one time only 1% of my capital is at risk (until of course BE is met, then it’s only profits that are at risk)…

Hey guys, I just have a question regarding the initial 15 pip stop loss, which is recommended during the London+NY trade times.

Tymen’s system often gives me quite large stop losses, which tend to be around the 35-50pip region.

How can I get away with placing the stop loss only 15 pips away when the extreme candle requires me to have a much larger stop loss?

Do I just set the 15 pip SL and put faith?

Hi Grav, thanks for setting up a great thread. Man, your 20 years of experience can save us a lot of learning pain and cost! I was wondering if you or anyone else have tried Heiken Ashi as its supposed to be good for identifying beginning and end of trends. Found a smoothed Heiken Ashi chart on one of the threads by Top Chess and I was wondering if it could be useful in our ultimate trend identification and trading endeavour.

Aw man, I wish I didnt have to live in Asia…:mad:

Nah! Just stay up late.

That’s what I do. Was up till nearly 3am yesterday. Then got up at 5:30am to go to work.

hi all,
I got 65 pips today (only one losing trade)
My problem is I cant keep the profit run.
cordite’s diagram may help :slight_smile:

Hey guys, this is a diagram that I had made to help me understand the system early on.

If it helps you guys as well, then kudos!

The blue dot is where the lot is entered.

The red SL corresponds to a 15 point SL, although this may be 20 or even 12 points, depending on which markets are trading and how volatile the markets are.

If you are using a stop loss of, say, 20 pips, then just adjust the green boxes to be at +20, +40, +60, etc. They are at multiples of the SL taken.

The first lot is closed to take a profit of 30 pips and the next 4 lots are run as long as possible.

Profit is taken by adjusting the stop loss in 12, 15 or 20 pip chunks to secure a return.

Please correct me if I am wrong, Graviton.