Daily Market Reviews by UWCFX

UWC is proud to provide daily market reviews by the well-known financial expert – [B]Mr. Arne Treholt[/B], a former Political Secretary to the Minister of Shipping and Foreign Trade, then Deputy Minister of Law of the Sea of the Norwegian Royal Ministry of Foreign Affairs. He also held the position of Counselor for Economic Development and Social Affairs at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and was member of the Norwegian Mission to the United Nations, New York. At the moment Mr. Treholt is a [B]Vice President and a Business Development Director[/B] of [B]United World Capital[/B].

[B]Cyprus seeks banks bailout[/B]

[I]DAILY MARKET REVIEWS[/I]
[I]by Arne Treholt Vice-President of Business Development and Investments[/I]

Cyprus becomes the fifth Euro country after Greece, Portugal and Spain to seek a lifeline for its debt ridden, when its government on Monday turned to Brussels for bailout and emergency funding.
Cyprus had earlier sent ministers to China and Moscow for credit talks. Cyprus received last 2,5 billion Euros loan from Russia last year, and has been scrambling for funding from both Moscow and Beijing to avoid the stringent EU terms for bailouts.

The international rating agency, Fitch, yesterday downgraded Cyprus debt to junk status. This comes a day after Moody’s downgrading. Cyprus’ second biggest bank, Popular Bank, has till Friday to find 1,8 billion Euros to recapitalize. Both Popular Bank and the number one bank, Bank of Cyprus, are heavily exposed to Greece both through buying Greek treasury bills and private loans to Greek citizens. 47 % of Popular Bank’s loan portfolio is exposed to Greece.

The Western European leaders are meeting on June 28th. Prior to the summit there is no token that Germany will soften its stand on the negotiated and agreed austerity terms and conditions. Due to an urgent eye operation the newly elected Premier, Antonis Samaras, is not going to attend the summit. Neither will the Minister of Finance who resigned few days after being appointed after emergently being brought to hospital.

Germany seems completely unwilling to bear the burden of a debt sharing with the striving Southern European periphery, and might choose to make Greece a test case; either you stick to your obligations or there is now place for you in the Euro. In an interview yesterday, Angela Merkel repeated her rejection of Euro bonds.

Sensing that the summit is going to be a new none starter, global markets are reacting nervously. Asia is down for the fourth day in row after jumpy sessions in Europe and US. The Euro/USD is falling and at 1.2496.
Yen is stronger; USD/JPY at 79,505. NYMEX at 179,15 and Brent 91.14 are stabilizing somewhat after steep falls the last weeks.
Gold recovered during yesterday session.

[I]Copyright: United World Capital[/I]

[B]Merkel buries Euro bonds[/B]

[I]DAILY MARKET REVIEWS
Arne Treholt Vice-President of Business Development and Investments[/I]

Positions are hardening in front of the crucial European Union summit at the end of the week. “Not in my life time”, was German Chancellor Angela Merkel clear message to Euro leaders who want a joint debt burden sharing by introduction of EURO bonds. In a meeting with Parliament, the Bundestag, Merkel repeated that Germany is not prepared to share Western Europe’s total debt liability.

Cynicism rules the ground affront of the summit. There are no expectations. Observers know that the European Union thrives on crisis, but very seldom, something concrete comes out of the summits. We need to go back to early 1990’ies and the establishment of the Maastricht Treaty for a closer coordination and cooperation in Western Europe, for a major breakthrough.
The sigh of the President of the EU-Commission: “We cannot stand still”, illustrates the situation. His outburst is, however, unlikely to make any impression on Berlin.

Without Germany’s active backing and support, all concerned parties know that the EU is a lame duck, unable to nourish and keep its favorite child - the EURO, alive. They also know that few of the member countries are ready for the ordained medicine: a tighter monetary union developing into a political union as a following up step.
The European bureaucrats are pressing for such a solution. Individual member states and its electorates are not that enthusiastic. The key players know that Germany, and not elections in France or Greece, is going to decide whether the Euro will survive.

Everybody’s eyes are nevertheless on Europe. Anxious global markets yesterday watched that the interests on European bonds continue to raise. That overshadowed positive US economic domestic figures. US markets ended slightly up.
Asia is up after falling for four days. EURO/USD is stabile at 1.2499. USD/JPY 74945. Oil prices are reacting up after the last week’s steep fall. Brent is 92,75. Gold is at 1571.

[B]Asia raises on US data[/B]

[I]DAILY MARKET REVIEWS

Strong US housing durable goods sales got the positive sentiment back in the markets yesterday. The American stock indices rose for the second day in row. Both Dow and Nasdaq were up 0,74 %. Asia followed up this morning with oil prices also stronger on US-growth prospects.
Brent is trading above USD 93 after dipping below 90 at the end of last week. Euro/USD is hovering below the 1.25 mark at 1.2499 before a crucial EU summit is going to give investors a better idea of where the Euro is moving.

German chancellor Angela Merkel met her French counterpart, Francoise Holland in Paris yesterday as a warming up for the summit session. The European leaders are trying to overcome their differences in a situation where strong German rhetoric has dominated. Germany has demonstrated no will for compromises, and flatly rejected to take a joint responsibility for sovereign and banking debts, which have heaped up in the Southern European periphery.

A feeling of disillusionment has been spreading, and nobody seems to have any expectations as to what could come out of the summit. The EU-president, Herman van Rompuy, presented earlier in the week a ten years plan for coordinated banking surveillance and an emergency banking insurance system, as steps towards the issue of Euro bonds, which Merkel has promptly rejected. Euro bonds are strongly supported by France, Italy and Spain.

Cyprus, which is going to overtake the half-yearly presidency of the EU on June 1st, has asked for emergency assistance on approximately Euro 10 billion for its struggling banks. There seems to be a positive development towards a solution supported by EU, the European Central Bank and the International Monetary Fund.

The reason for the US optimism is that pending home sales in May was up 5,99 %, much higher than expected. The good home sales news led to a lift of the Australian dollar and New Zealand, Kiwi in morning trade USD/JPY.

[B]USA: news from EU summit a little damped an ardor of bears[/B]

[I]DAILY MARKET REVIEWS

On Thursday, June 28, the stock market of the United States finished the trading session in the negative territory in view of quite weak macroeconomic statistics, as well as on appeared information that losses of JP Morgan Chase can reach $9 billion.

Accordingly to the data published yesterday, the number of primary requests for unemployment benefits made 386 thousands whereas analysts expected 385 thousands. Besides, the previous value was reconsidered towards increase from 387 thousands to 392 thousands. Meanwhile, the index of business activity in the industry of FRB of Kansas was reduced in June from 17 points month earlier to 12 points, and GDP, according to final data, increased in the first quarter by 1,9 %, as expected, having coincided with the previous reading.

Towards the end of trading session the American indexes could restore a part of losses due to the news which have arrived from the EU summit, which begun yesterday in Brussels. So, it became known that for urgent measures for stimulation of economic growth and employment the European Union will mobilize about 120 billion euro ($149 billion) what the president of the European Union X. van Rompey officially declared during the press conference. According to him, credit possibilities of the European investment bank will be increased by 60 billion euro and other 60 billion euro will be collected at the expense of not used EU structural funds to which means will be added funds from the pilot program of the European bonds calculated on specific projects fewer than 5 billion.

Following the results of the trading session the indicator of “blue counters” the index of Dow Jones decreased by 0,196 % to value 12602,26 points, the index of the wide market S&P 500 left in a minus for 0,211 % to level 1329,04 points, and the index of the hi-tech companies Nasdaq reached level of 2849,49 points.

Oil prices are still pointing up. Brent is is traded on a level of 92.951$.

[B]BOND SUPPORT FOR SPAIN AND ITALY LIKELY OUTCOME OF EU-SUMMIT (29/06/2012)[/B]

[I]WEEKLY MARKET REVIEWS
by Arne Treholt Vice-President of Business Development and Investments[/I]

It has been mixed week in global markets dominated once again by the sovereign debt crisis in Western Europe and banks striving for survival. Brussels and the EU-summit at the end of the week has been the focus for attention with low expectations for a final breakthrough.
The fate of Euro is hanging in the air. Strong contradictions between the leading German economy and countries in the European periphery have led to new question marks. Germany has demonstrated no willingness to share the debt burden with countries like Greece, Spain, Portugal, Italy and now last Cyprus. Why should Germany contribute to mistakes and failures of states, which have not kept their house in order?

The outcome of the Euro crisis seems again to be some kind of a compromise most probably intended to stop the spiraling costs on Spain and Italy’s bonds. Global markets see a glimmer of hope in these developments. Might be, that there is a light at the end of the tunnel after all?
The new European “iron lady”, Angela Merkel, has all through the increased and bitter rhetoric being steadfast in her demands: There is no quick fix on the sovereign debt crisis. Short term measures to help lower Spanish and Italian borrowing costs, are likely the outcome of the summit. However, as Merkel has been stressing such quick remedies are eyewash and fake solutions. They do not solve the fundamental questions.

However, markets and investors with big money bags are waiting on the sideline happy; to jump on whatever seems better than no decision at all. When Merkel postponed an announced press conference on Thursday night, markets saw this as a positive token and as an expression that Germany as the key player, was still considering some temporary solutions. This led to a mini rally at the end of the session in New York. In addition, this morning, Asia is clinging to the postponement as a sign that something, in spite of all down plaid expectations are happening behind the closed doors. It has even created some excitement among currency traders. Might it be some hope for the Euro after all?

Over the week, markets have been clinging to the smallest tokens of positive movements. US-housing sales had analysts once again to jump on the expected American growth wagon. The enthusiasm lasted 36 hours until the jobless claims number Thursday night poured cold water in the head of optimists.

A reduction on 6000 in the jobless claims, do not create a spring. Add to the global misery that Cyprus, one of the smallest economies inside the Euro, had to ask for Emergency assistance for its banks. In the midst of the crisis, their banks gambled on the high interests’ rates on Greek treasury bills, and private Greek customer’s appetite for loans, which no others were willing to give them. Now they want that Europe shall share with them and pay the price.

For bankers, it has in general been a miserable week. Barclays bank was fined record $ 450 million fby English regulators for manipulating with the Libor interest rate set by the Central banks as basis rate or private banks lending to borrowers. Barclay has possibly colluded in their fraudulent action with other leading international banks. Such facts does not increase the credibility of bankers, which over the crisis years have been known more for their greed than clever investments and managing of clients funds.

[B]Once again a one day rally?[/B]

[I]DAILY MARKET REVIEWS
Arne Treholt Vice-President of Business Development and Investments
[/I]
Asian stocks rose for a fourth day in row with the composite Asian stock index rising 0,48 %, confirming Friday’s positive sentiment from the rallies in Europe and United States following the EU-summit. The Euro/USD is falling back from its Friday peak trading at 1.2626. Brent crude is at 97,00 and Gold 1591.

Stocks ended the first half year of 2012 with a bang after the EU summit contrary to expectations, seems to have taken steps towards solving the 30 months debt crisis. European leaders agreed to stabilize the region’s troubled banks. Under pressure to avoid a catastrophic breakup of the Euro, it was reached agreement to inject funds directly into stricken banks and to intervene to drive bond interest rates down. During the last week, interest rates on Spanish and Italian bonds passed the 7 % threshold, which is seen as crucial.

A single banking supervision system for the Euro-zone banks around the European Central Bank (ECB) is seen as the first step towards a European banking union. Member states that comply with the austerity measures would be supported by the already created rescue mechanisms, the European Stability Mechanism (ESM) and the European Financial Stability Facility (EFSF). With regards to the content of concrete measures, all eyes will the week be on the ECB.

At first glance it seems that the big winners from Europe’s latest euro-saving summit are the leaders of France, Italy and Spain with Germany’s Angela Merkel forced on the defensive. This is probably an over simplification. Merkel’s biggest concession seems to be that she has given the permanent rescue fund, ESM power to inject aid directly into stricken banks. Merkel signalized, however, willingness to adopt this step days before the summit, but preferred of tactical reasons to keep it low key.

The big question this week is whether the boost of optimism after the summit shall develop into something more permanent than a one-day rally. New industrial production figures for China are again down, and markets are neither optimistic in front of the release of US job figures Friday.

[B]EURO slide may continue[/B]

[I]DAILY MARKET REVIEWS

Asian shares rose for the fifth consecutive days with the MSCI index up 0,78 %. Simultaneously the US manufacturing production index (MPI) surprisingly dropped. US manufacturing contracted for the first time in nearly three years resulting in immediate drops in US stock market.
Markets, however, rebound during the session on renewed expectations of monetary easing. The protracted euro zone debt crisis has a devastating effect on the global markets. The sluggish manufacturing data, however, gave investors hopes that major central banks will take further steps to support the fragile economy.

The EURO got a welcomed boost after the EU-summit with 1,7 % rally to 1,27. Euro fall back to 1,2570 yesterday, but has recovered to 1.2599 in morning trade. But there are still political uncertainties and doubts regarding the European Central Bank’s following up. Two Northern European member states, Finland and Netherlands, expressed yesterday strong hesitations as to the financial impact the summit decisions would have on their own economies. Leading economists see the initiatives to support Spanish and Italian banks and measures to dampen upward bond interest rates as just temporary. It might have saved the common currency for now, but the Euro’s downward slide is with great likelihood going to continue.

The Australian dollar gets a boost this morning. Oil prices are up on EU sanctions against Iranian oil and Norwegian oil strike. Gold has again broken through the 1600 threshold trading at 1604. Silver is also stronger. USD/JPY is trading at 79,695.

The English Barclay’s boss, Bob Diamond, is under continued pressure to resign after a market rigging labor scandal. Barclay was given a 450 million Euro fee. The scandal which most probably also involve other major international banks have created an uproar and demands for criminal fraud cases against the bosses involved. Before meetings in the British Parliament today, Barclay has countered indicating that regulators as well were involved. In the US one of the biggest pharmaceutical companies in the world, British GlaxoSmithKline has settled a health fraud case for USD 3 Billion.

[B]Rate rigging hits banking system[/B]

[I]DAILY MARKET REVIEWS

Barclays Bank’s rate rigging scandal has strongly hit the international banking community, and is threatening to affect several reputed banks. J. P. Morgan, UBS and Citibank are among those rumored to be next in line. Excessive salaries and bonuses have for long put question marks with the healthiness of a banking sector more known for its greediness than the quality of their business. Barclays Chief Executive, Bob Diamond, quit his position yesterday, and is today facing a grilling session with and under committee of the British House of Commons.

As part of an offensive defense, Barclays yesterday released a 2008 internal memo implicating the deputy governor of the Bank of England in the scandal. The Deputy Governor, Paul Tucker, had according to the to the memo implicitly encouraged Barclays to massage the interest rates figures lower during the peak of the financial crisis. In order to present a better picture of the bank’s financial position. Tucker had in his turn received calls from senior government officials.

Libor, which is the interest rate set for inter bank transactions involve up to USD 500 trillion in daily trades, and is seen a reliable and trustworthy barometer. The manipulations now revealed might have a devastating effect on the banking system and seriously undermine its trustworthiness.

The rally in the markets, which started last week with EUs decisions to support ailing banks in Spain and Italy, continue. Asia is up for the sixth day, and experiences its longest lasting rally since last December.
Investors are betting that the decreased manufacturing data from US and China along with other gloomy macro and micro economic figures on top of the crisis in Europe, will force central banks into actions.
Monetary easing is expected and encourages the market rally. US stocks rose before taking half day off for Fourth of July celebrations. Oil prices are up. Brent has been trading above the critical USD 100 barrel level for the last 24 hours. NYMEX is above 84. Currencies are stabile waiting for central bankers decisions. Euro/USD is at 1.2592.

[B]Despite cuts shares falling[/B]

[I]DAILY MARKET REVIEWS

Both the European (ECB) and the Chinese Central Banks yesterday cut their interest rates to encourage economic growth, but to no avail. Both European and American markets reacted by sending stocks down. Asian stocks also slipped despite the new stimulus steps taken by the central banks. The Bank of England kept its interest rate at the low 0,25 % as an indication that there are limited tools left in the central banks arsenal for further monetary actions.

The Chinese interest cut is the second in one month, increasing investors fear that the Chinese economy is sinking faster than earlier expected. The non-farm payrolls numbers that the US Labor Department is expected to release today, is neither giving raise to market optimism. US employers have most likely hired more labor last month, but not enough to allay worries that Europe’s debt crisis is shifting the global economy into low gear.

ECB’s decision to cut interest rate with 25 basis points to 0,75 immediately led to new pressure on the Euro, which is trading at 1.2384. The American dollar is strengthened against many currencies. A decision from the Swedish Central Bank to keep the interest rate at the same level, led to a rally in Swedish krones at the expense of the EURO.

While commodities and precious metals are trading down; gold is at 1605, Brent crude is continuing to trade above the critical 100-dollar level pr. Barrel. In addition to implementation of EU sanctions on oil import from Iran, the US has increased its military presence in the straits of Hormuz, which Iran has threatened to mine to block oil transports from the Middle East, if further sanctions were executed.

[B]Cyprus tries to play hard ball (06/07/2012)[/B]

[I]WEEKLY MARKET REVIEWS

As the fifth country inside the euro zone, Cyprus, which this month also took over the chairmanship of the European Union, has asked for a bail out for its debt stricken banks.

At a press conference together with the Head of the European Commission, Jose Manuel Barroso on Friday, the island’s president Demetris Christofias, again plaid the Russian card and stressed that Russia is still a candidate for stepping in and bail out his country.

With the “mother land” Greece’s misery in fresh memory, Christofias, don’t want “Greek austerities” to be impressed upon Cyprus. He has continuously stressed that Cyprus is facing a banking and not a sovereign crisis. Therefore, Cyprus feels free to ask whatever country for help. And then why not Russia which generously have helped out before; as they did two years ago. Then the loan was on 2,1 Billion Euro. This time the price tag has increased to 6,1 Billion Euro to save Cypriot banks which have acted irresponsible.

Christofias is playing hard ball logic, but that does not stand up to European orthodoxy. Cyprus is member of the European family, and EU-countries inside the Euro zone are treated equally with regards to bail-outs. Why should Cyprus be given better loan terms and conditions by going outside the zone and ask a third country for help? Barosso then gave Christofias a frosty answer. That Christofias is the only communist leader in the European Union does not help either.

For European bureaucrats principles are more important than practical realities. The medicines ordained for Greece, Spain, Ireland and Portugal have to be the same for Cyprus. To ask for better terms and conditions in Russia, represent a serious break with the EU code of conduct and their “solidarity”.

Barosso was tiff lipped. Neither did it make any impression when Minister of Finance, Vassos Shiarly, stressed that Cyprus had been forced to take extremely big losses on the Euro zone’s haircuts for Greece. Cyprus creditors had a 80 % loss equal to 4,2 Billion Euro, a quarter of Cyprus’ GDP. Cyprus demonstrated disproportionate European solidarity then so why not a little generosity now?

But this kind of logic does simply not work in relation to a striving periphery in Southern Europe. Striving member countries in the outskirts start to awaken to the harsh reality that the EU and the EURO are something quite different from the European dream they had before entry.

[B]EURO LOWEST IN TWO YEARS[/B]

[I]DAILY MARKET REVIEWS

Growth worries after sluggish US job data, took the Euro/USD to its lowest level in two years. The Euro dropped to 1.2225 in early Asiantrade to recover somewhat. It is now trading at 1.2292. Asian shares fall. The MCXI index is down 1,50 %. Cooling inflation numbers from China deepened worries about slower economic growth. The Euro fell as deep as to 1,2225 in early trade in Asia. The US dollar vexes muscles and is gaining towards all currencies. Oil prices are relatively strong with Brent trading at 98,89.

Commodity linked currencies as the Australian and New Zealand dollars, which is a good barometer on the risk appetite in the market, hit one-week lows. The British pound, GBP, is trading below 1,55 towards the USD. Commodity prices continue to fall as do precious metals. Gold is at 1580. Silver just above 27.

Euro zone finance ministers are meeting in Brussels today in an effort to follow up the EU summit decisions a week ago. On the top of the agenda is a rescue plan for Europe’s struggling banks. Bailout requests from Spain and Cyprus shall be considered. The new Greek government has signaled renegotiations in an effort to obtain better terms and conditions to sugar its austerity measures towards a critical public.

The earnings season in the US start with quarterly report cards from blue chip stocks as Alcoa and J. P. Morgan next week. There is no big optimism. Europe’s crisis continues to draw much attention, but with little clarity as to how the euro zone’s debt and banking problems will be fixed. That in spite of numerous meetings as the Finance ministers coming up today.

[B]Euro 30 billion for Spanish bail-out[/B]

[I]DAILY MARKET REVIEWS

The Euro zone ministers of finance yesterday night decided to transfer Euro 30 Billion as a bail out of the striving Spanish banks. The first tranche shall be released in August. By injecting the bail-out funds directly into the banks, this is a banking and not a sovereign state bail out as is the case with Greece. The ministers simultaneously are considering a similar bail-out of Euro 6,1 Billion to the striving Cypriot banks. This is eventually going to be executed in September.

The bail-out of the Spanish banks are a direct following up of decisions taken by the EU-summit ten days ago. It came after the interest rate on Spanish bonds yesterday again went through the critical 7 % level. The initiative of the finance ministers helped to stabilize the Euro, which during early trading on Monday hit its lowest level in 2 years. Euro/USD is trading at 1.2300. The USD has weakened marginally over the last 24 hours. The Japanese Yen has strengthened. USD/JPY is at 79,495. Oil prices have fallen. Brent is at 98,65. Gold and silver stabile with an upward trend.

Stock exchanges in Europe, US and Asia continues to fall. The giant alloy producer, Alcoa, started the quarterly season by reporting better than expected results due to new orders from the car and airplane industry. Chinese numbers for import and export in June show weaker domestic demand, which seems to indicate that the GDP shall fall below 8 % when figures are released in a week. Import figures rose with 6 % much below experts forecasts. Export rose 11 %, higher than forecasts, but lower than May’s 14 %. China has once again a record surplus on its trading balance.

The Finance ministers’ decision has calmed markets somewhat, but there are increasing signs that Europe’s economic and monetary union may be fragmenting faster than policy makers can repair. Spanish, Greek and Italian banks have seen a deposit flight gaining pace. Whether a euro zone agreement to lend Madrid Euro 30 of the 100 Billion requested, will reverse these flows, is still an open question. It is expected that national bond rates and the Euro shall come under renewed pressure during the week.

[B]Grim sentiments impact markets[/B]

[I]DAILY MARKET REVIEWS

Asian and Australian stocks dropped for the fifth day in row Wednesday as concerns over Italy’s debt, profit warnings and US corporate earnings damaged regional sentiment. Dow Jones Industrial average closed down 0,78 % on fear that the global economic slowdown will erode corporate earnings.

The EURO/USD fall yesterday, but has recovered trading at 1.2257 in Asia. The Japanese yen continues to strengthen: USD/JPY at 79,3227. The strong yen put pressure on Japanese exports and the Nikkei. Gold dropped from 1600 yesterday, trading at 1573. Oil prices are slightly down. Brent at 98,35. There are no major changes in the overall currencies picture.

Europe returned to the forefront of investors concerns when Italian Prime Minister, Mario Monti, indicated that he will ask European governments to permit that the bailout fund to buy Italian bonds. Monti insisted, however, that Italy do not need a bailout in the scale of Greece. His comments come, however, just weeks after claims that Italy would not ask its European partners to buy Italian debts.

US experienced a new broker scandal when the Iowa-based PFGBest was the latest future broker to collapse. Regulators accused PFG and its owner for over the last two years misappropriating customer funds. In England, new aspects of The Barclays scandal are revealed, portraying a banking culture of greed and mutual accusations.

[B]Oil prices increase on stimulus expectations[/B]

[I]DAILY MARKET REVIEWS

Oil prices jumped 2 % yesterday on hopes for stimulus measures and falling US storages. Brent rose above the 100 dollar mark pr. Barrel, and NYMEX traded at 85,50. Euro/USD is continuing its downward trend at 1.224. Higher unemployment figures from Australia put the Aussie dollar under pressure. The South Korean Central bank has written down interest rate in an effort to encourage growth.

While the direction of future Federal Reserve initiatives remains unclear, investors seem to expect that China shall undertake new measures to boost its economy. China is expected to release new GDP numbers on Friday. Preliminary figures indicate that GDP expansion would be the weakest in 3 years. China has reduced interest rate twice during the last month, and new stimulus measures are expected.

Minutes from Federal Reserve’s meeting in June suggest that the US economy has to worsen before FED is going to consider a third round of bond buying. Such a step would weaken the dollar and re-energize the appetite for risk and dollar nominated commodities. The European debt crisis and the grim outlook for the world economy have dramatically decreased the demand for most commodities.

Oil has been hit hard falling 25 – 30 % from its high in the beginning of the tear. The positive movement in oil prices over the last days help by shrinking US-storages, a Norwegian oil strike and Iranian worries, might indicate a turnaround in other commodities. US quantitative easing would surely contribute to such a rebound.

The euro zone crisis starts to take new tolls. The CEO of Bank of Cyprus, the biggest bank in the island, resigned yesterday amidst increasing criticism for his bank’s strong exposure to Greece. It is simultaneously announced that state coffers are running out of funds. There is no money left to pay civil servants salaries for August.

[B]Short relief after China’s 3Q GDP[/B]

[I]DAILY MARKET REVIEWS

Chinese last GDP figures fall to its lowest level in three years. After a long period of double digit growth, China had in last quarter a GDP growth on 7,6 %. The numbers came in slightly better than analyst expectations, and created a short-lived relief rally on Asian stock exchanges, which turned up after six days of losses. The GDP numbers also gave a boost to the Australian dollar.

A weaker real estate market and slowing exports had a negative impact on the GDP numbers. Investments are, however, positive and rose expectations for stronger growth in the last half year of 2012. The government policies change to pro growth and stronger emphasize on the domestic market, has led investors to believe that China shall continue to stimulate growth.

The Euro zone received a new blow yesterday when the international rating agency Moodys downgraded Italy to the same level as Kazakhstan and Bulgaria. The downgrading put the EURO under renewed pressure. Euro/USD falls below 1.22. It has recovered and trades at present at 1.2207. EURO hit 1.2166 during Thursday’s trading. The Yen is again up against the dollar, USD/JPY trading at 79,28. American and European stock markets were down yesterday.

Oil prices are demonstrating some strength. Brent reached 101 yesterday and is presently trading at 100,77. US crude, NYMEX, is trading at 85,88 a barrel. Gold is 1571 after hitting a low on 1555 yesterday. Silver is up trading at 27,20 after falling to 26,55 yesterday.

[B]Asian shares extend rally[/B]

[I]DAILY MARKET REVIEWS

Asian shares extended their rally on Monday on increased hopes for a smooth Chinese landing. Visiting the Southern, Western province of Sichuan, the Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao raised the prospect of more stimuli if needed. The composite Asian stock index, MCSI, continues 0,3 % up after jumping 1 % on Friday. Euro/USD is inching up at 1.2242 after trading at 1.2169 on Friday. Japan is closed for holidays, but the Yen is, nevertheless, gaining ground, trading up 0,2 % against USD at 79,0955. Brent crude stays above 102 Gold is flat at 1589.

With worries about China off the boil, market concerns are shifting back to the United States and the Federal Reserve’s next policy move. The attention this week is on quarterly results. A slew of US corporate earnings are expected. The main focus is, however, on FED Chairman, Ben Bernanke’s semi-annual testimony to the US Congress on the economy set for Tuesday and Wednesday.

After central banks in Europe, China, South Korea and Brazil all have lowered their interest rates to stimulate growth, markets will seek clues on the Fed’s stance over a stronger monetary policy to support US recovery. Bernanke has earlier stated that the FED will take further easing measures only if necessary.

After the international rating agency Moody’s downgraded Italy to near junk status last week, the outcome of the Italian bond auctions on Friday were better than expected. Three years bond yields were at lowest levels since May. 10-year yields rose to near 6 %. Reflecting investor’s jitters over the Euro, currency speculators last week raised their bets in favor of the US dollar, boosting their positions against the Euro to their highest in one month.

[B]Grimmer outlook for global economy[/B]

[I]DAILY MARKET REVIEWS

Both Brent crude (103,57) and NYMEX (88,57) rose for the fourth straight session Monday. Oil is up on expectations on stimulus measures for a slowing world economy. Tension on Iran creates increased worries for oil supplies and crude storages in the US is down.

Stocks rise and the dollar eased as investors await Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke’s testimony to Congress. EURO/USD trading at 1.2292 as investors covered short positions and hunted for bargains. Australian dollar is up on expectations (1.0300 vs USD) that further Chinese stimulus shall increase demand for coal and other commodities exported to China.

US retail sales numbers came weaker than expected yesterday. Together with the International Monetary Fund’s (IMF) new low forecast for global growth in 2013, the weaker retails has increased investors expectations for FED monetary stimulus. IMF is predicting 8,5 % economic growth for China and reduces India’s growth to 6,5 %. IMF has a grim outlook for both the US and Euro zone.

In its midyear “health check” on the global economy, IMF said that emerging markets were dragged down by the economic turmoil in Europe. IMF has reduced their global forecast for 2013 from 4,1 to 3,9 %. Its outlook for 2012 is kept at 3,5 %.

[B]Mixed message fails to impress markets[/B]

[I]DAILY MARKET REVIEWS

Ready, but not yet, was the FED’s Chairman Ben Bernanke’s mixed message in a Congressional hearing yesterday. Bernanke offered a gloomy view of the economic prospects, but gave no concrete clues on whether FED is moving one-step closer to a fresh round of monetary stimulus.

Bernanke’s testimony failed to make any impact on global markets. US exchanges mainly concentrated on companies’ earnings where several blue chips came in with better results than expected. Both Coca Cola and the banking group, Goldman Sachs, beat profit forecasts. Tin Asia the Japanese Nikkei was up 0,3 % mainly due to a slight fall in the Yen. USD/JPY is trading above 70 this morning at 79,005.Other Asian exchanges are mixed with no clear direction. Copper prices, a sensitive barometer for growth, are up after four negative days on expectations for growth stimulus.

Bernanke’s statement had no impact on the Euro/USD which continues to hover close to 1,23 at 1.2281. The Australian dollar is still strong close to four weeks high. The British pound, GBP is also showing a stronger trend. Oil prices are falling from yesterdays high, but still steady. Brent crude stays above 103 with NYMEX close to 89. Gold and Silver are striving to find a clear direction. Gold trading at 1579 after reaching 1598 and falling back to 1573 yesterday.

The financial news is dominated by the British parliamentarian hearings on Barclays Bank and the libor scandal. Adding to the bad image of banks internationally, American regulators have accused one other of the world banking giants, HSBC, for comprehensive money laundering of Mexican drug cartel money and for involvement in shadowy terrorist weapon deals.

[B]Shares rally on US earnings[/B]

[I]DAILY MARKET REVIEWS

Asian shares rallied on Thursday on better than expected quarterly results from heavy weights IBM and stronger US-housing numbers. The MSCI, Asian Pacific Index, is up 1,6 % and the South Korea’s Kospi bounced nearly 2 %. Japan’s Nikkei is up 1 % in spite of a stronger Yen. USD/JPY is trading at 78,65. Oil prices are high on increased tensions in the Middle East. Brent reached above USD 105 pr. Barrel and NYMEX is for the first time in weeks trading above 90.

US stocks are at highest levels since May helped by IBM, Bank of America and Honeywell. Analysts had expected negative figures from the leading chip-maker Intel. Results were weak, but not shocking. That helped sentiments, which also received a boost from housing figures raising hopes that the market is flattening out. There are still strong expectations that the Federal Reserve shall take active measures to stimulate growth. These expectations contributed to yesterday’s rally.

During his Congressional testimony, FED head Ben Bernanke kept the door open for measures if needed, but downplayed the risk a double-dip recession. The prospect for possible FED actions weakened the dollar and made investors look for riskier assets like the Australian dollar, which yesterday rose to a 11 week high. Economic growth stimulus shall give a boost to the commodity sector with Australia one of the biggest commodity exporters.

A similar upward trend as investors see in the commodity market with oil and copper on the raise is apparent in light commodities. Corn has skyrocketed over the last weeks on the drought in the US and a rapid increasing global population hungry for food.