Dear people,

Just a short question.

I know that GBP/USD is called the “cable”

Do any of these others have nicknames? :

USD/JPY

USD/CHF

EUR/USD !!

And who is the “Loonie” ?

uummm…Canada is the “Loonie” :o :smiley: … it’s our dollar coin which is named after the Loon bird which make a heart-warming sound when you hear it in the evenings around lakes…it’s my fav!!

usd/chf is swissy

Errrr… guys: USD/JPY, GBP/USD et cetera are currency PAIRS! And they have no special nicknames.

GBP/USD is not the Cable. The british pound itself, abbrev. GBP, is the cable.

The nicknames:

US Dollar USD is the Buck
The Euro EUR is the Fiber
British Pound GBP is the Cable (because in the 19th century the pound exchange rates were delivered by undersea telegraph cable from London)
Canadian Dollar CAD is the Loonie
Swiss Franc CHF is the Swissy
Japanese Yen JPY is … the Yen
Australian Dollar AUD is the Aussie
and last but not least the New Zealand Dollar NZD is called the Kiwi (like everything from there)

You’re right on the other currencies having nicknames which are used as part of a pair designation such as Aussie-Swiss for AUD/CHF.

GBP is called Sterling by itself as in Sterling-Yen for GBP/JPY.

GBP/USD, however, is most definitely called Cable among dealers and such, though. You’re right, it has to do with telegraphing. EUR/GBP is not called Euro-Cable by most folks, though. It’s Euro-Sterling.

Thank you to Sweet Pip, Mytwopips, Grxlwpf and Rhodytrader for your helpful information. :slight_smile:

I am definitely wiser now. :slight_smile:

GBP/JPY

Seen alot of people call it the Geppy… ;o)

Forex Useful just produced a cool video - GBP/JPY is called the Gopher in the video

[B]rhodytrader[/B] ’ [I]GBP/USD, however, is most definitely called Cable among dealers and such, though. You’re right, it has to do with telegraphing[/I].’

More specifically, the [B]cable[/B] that runs on the sea bed connecting the UK to the US (hence ‘Cable’). Before satellite communication and the internet. Pit trading, hand drawn charts, those were the days! :smiley:

EUR= Euro ([B]Fiber[/B])
GBP= Great Britain Pound ([B]Cable[/B])
AUD=Australian Dollar ([B]Aussie[/B])
NZD= New Zealand Dollar ([B]Kiwi[/B])
USD= United States Dollar ([B]Bucks/ Greenback[/B])
CAD= Canadian Dollar ([B]Loonie[/B])
CHF= Swiss Franc ([B]Swissy[/B])
JPY= Japanese Yen

JPY= Japanese Yen ([B]Yenny[/B])? :slight_smile:

If I had children, I would definitely name them like this for a better luck!:18: