Have you ever gained more than 100pips?

As a newbie, I realised today that forex market is damn volatile…

I think I have to be damn disciplined and trade like a robot.

Have u ever gained more than 100pips at a trade?? then, how much was the profit in $?

Just wondered.:rolleyes:

Have a nice pip day!

Many times in swing/position trades, but also in the occassional day trade too. Couldn’t give you any $ figures from memory, though they’d be irrelevant to you in any case unless we have exactly the same size account.

@iloveforex

120 pips on one lot and 100 on a second lot on the guppie (GBP/JPY) last night. And it was only that low because I wanted to close the trades before I went to bed. Those were easy pips despite having several flaws in my strategy:

[ul]
[li]I bought in at market on the second order
[/li][li]I set my limits and stops but took before my target
[/li][li]I miscalculated my r/r ratio giving me far more exposure than I should have had
[/li][li]I entered into a two lot trade that broke even when I closed it out because it was too late.
[/li][/ul]

I only highlight this list of errors because taking a good chunk of pips can come easy. Even trades over 100 pips. But taking them with skill is far different than taking them with luck. Fortunately, I’m gaining skill while recognizing where I do get lucky despite my own errors.

Amazing…I thought even Soros kinds can rarely do that .
I hope someday I make it! My score is only 13pips :smiley:

You don’t seem to be a newbie…That’s cool! :rolleyes:

+184 pips live this morning. This is starting to become the average for me. Technically it was 7 trades and not one though.

I trade currencies when they corolate and move in the same direction.

You’ll find that if you are going for +100 pip gains in one day, you are either going to have to pick the currencies that are big movers and stay in longer or trade multiple currencies and add the wins/losses together and treat it as one method.

IME for larger gains, less time and less longer term analysis skill needed, trading multiple currencies is far easier.

As far as gain, I won’t discuss that on a public board. But, consider that a pip can equal anywhere from 1 cent to $50.00, even on an ibfx micro account. Of course you would need an account that could support any drawdown and exercise good money/risk managment.

With that in mind large pip gains should not be ANY forex traders main concern. A forex traders main concern should be a repeatable method that consistently produces a postive pip gain despite a string of losing trades. That means a good win/loss ratio where the losses do not eat up a majority of the wins. So, either strict risk/reward & win/loss ratio or a method that where the trader can see signs a trade is going bad and get out early to cut down on losses.

Hi guys a newbe here heres one of my trades a few day a go i think it was a real fluk most day 20 30 pips am happy with that…:):)and only trade gbp/usd

26481714 2009.08.14 16:09 sell 1.00 gbpusd 1.6538 1.6336 1.6311 2009.08.17 18:24 1.6331 0.00 0.00 -0.72 1 267.53

I trade just like phil38’s strategy and most of my trades are 150-250 pips. I trade the gbp/jpy 4h and my trades can range from a few hours to a couple days depending on how it is moving. Over 100 pips is definitely possible to de prequently especially with gbpjpy.

100 pip trades are possible… very possible

Pick the right currency and you will have an opportunity to make a trade like that everyday…

I made 7 trades this week, 2 stopped out at BE and the other 5 combine for 573 pips

Cheers

All other things being equal, the longer timeframe trades will pick up more pips.

For example, on a 1 minute timeframe, you will pick up little more than your spread!!

Again I say, congratulations to all who make >100 pips consistantly, but I emphasise the potential danger or lack of wisdom in posting large pip gains on this public website for all the world to see.

You are fooling around with undesirables - identity theives, hackers and the like.
Please use wisdom!! :wink: :wink:

What I think is more important than how many pips you make, is how many those pips represent.

300 pips can be 3% of your account with one method whereas 40 pips can represent the same 3% with another method.

The number of pips by itself tell us nothing. Have in consideration risk rewar ratio and win loss ratio.

I trade the dax indice and I regularly get 60pips a day. I am also finalising another dax strategy that earnt me 188pips over a 3/4day period.

The dax easily has the volatility to make more than 100pips but the trade will take 2-3days to make 100+pips.

started a short on dow jones on 28th december, Entree points 17721 - 24 - 27, with follow up pyramiding. the trade ist still going on, the plus was last friday 950 points, now (today) with opening of the Nikkei session i lost 130 points so far (u guys call them pips), the profit is €xx,xxx. but as it is looking now with the new years Pivot Points it looks like im stopping the pyramiding and start looking for a good position to close the trade. well see what monday will bring. im pretty sure the dow will fall good in the first week of january - but i might be wrong.

Take a look at these 2 threads
http://forums.babypips.com/forextown/75743-balls-steel-trading-volatile-pairs.html
and here
http://forums.babypips.com/forextown/74257-gbp-nzd-moving-slow-today-why-post740265.html#post740265
A group of us regularly make over 100 pips. Already today GbpNzd and GbpAud are both up over 250 pips each.

I make more than 100 pips many time but not as a regular routine. In forex we get more or less profits . Some market movements support us to gain higher pips. I must say here we not get same profits all the time . If I get 10 pips of profit I am happy that I had not loose this time.

Nice attitude!

Trading for more pips usually requires lower lot size ( so you can withstand the losses if the trade goes wrong ). Therefore, $ earned are usually less than if you’re scalping where bigger lot sizes are common.

Half agree with you.
Lower lot size is true. Less risk than scalping as you need to move quick when scalp goes wrong. Also, scalpers will pay more broker commission due to bigger lot sizes and more frequent trading. Not sure how you get the idea that less $ are made, ive had 2 trades today both move over 250 pips in my favour, plenty of $ there.
Best thing about trading longer, just place the trade then switch off and relax.
Anyhow, we’re all different. No one right, no one wrong

I have gained over 100 pips, but it was when I gathered the courage to trade during high impact events or during a very strong and obvious trend. It’s not something that happens very often, to me at least.

Making 100 pips is easy or me, its like a routine. I trade on daily time frame where signals are less but they give me 100+ on almost every winning trade.