What kind of pc would i need to trade?

I’m completely new to trading and I was wondering what kind of system setup would i need? I’m looking at a high end dell, but do i really need all that power? any suggestions?

These aren’t the latest and greatest specs out there, but I know this will run any trade station out there and will have sufficient power to efficiently run your trading.

1 GHZ processor
512 MB of ram
AGP or PCI or PCI Express mulit moniter video card
Windows XP or higher.

What you really need for a mulit moniter set-up is a video card that supports it.

They are easy to find. Just search for Multi-Moniter Video Cards on
google.

Just make sure the Video card will work with your mother board. i.e.
If you have a AGP slot then get a AGP video card if PCI slot then PCI card and so on. It should say right on the computer specs when you shop for a computer.

I found this link on building a trading station at ET, you should check it out. It is almost like a lesson plan, not just an article. Best of all, it is easy to understand! http://www.elitetrader.com/tr/index.cfm?s=12

Nice link shiny, it really gives you all the info you need to build a trader friendly system. Take some time though, there is a lot to read here. I made it through the first 20 pages, then I had some serious eye strain.

I know, I started reading through it and halfway through I about fell asleep. I have a new pc though, and most of mine fits the specs, I just need to invest in a second monitor, and probably something for back up.

It’s handy, but a bit wordy. I think they could have condensed it to a manageable size. To be honest, I turned off after the first 5 pages. Next time I will just search the page for exactly what I am after.

Here is a place that sell multi screen set ups, it is 2-7 monitors set up in one unit. I am sure they are pretty pricey, but if you consider the cost of buying each separately I think it evens out.

I think more attention should be put on the speed of your connection, rather than your PC.

Well speed is def an issue, but there is way more to it than that. Most people do prefer a multi monitor set up so you don’t have to keep switching back and forth.

More than one monitor is nice, but if your connection is too slow and your PC outdated; you could miss out on a lot of info!

You definitely don’t want to discredit speed, it is always an issue. There are a lot of other things you will need too. A multi monitor set up it nice, but not absolutely necessary. If you were a really heavy trader you would want it, and could afford it.

Any PC will do for trading, because all the software for trading isn’t demanding about the requirements of your computer.

I also think that the specifications of the PC are not that important. Any trading platforms could run flawless on an average machine. More important is your internet connection and your location compared to your brokers Live server locations. In my opinion if you are aiming for perfect and fast execution you should go for a VPS (Virtual private server) and run your terminal from there. It would be the best to be within the same city as the Live server of your broker. Another pross is that you could run your platform constantly which is useful especially if you are using any EA in your strategies.

I recommend one of the new 15" MacBook Pros as a minimum. I mean, can you imagine how cool it will be setting bracket orders by using multi touch on that spiffy touch bar?

Actually I also use MaC, really cool!!:35:
On the other hand, totally agree internet connection also important too.

Everyone knows the more cores and screens you have the better you will trade! Just kidding. I have a good multi-screen set-up in my office, but I have an old laptop that I can trade with when traveling and it works just fine. Most trading platforms work just fine on a very cheap PC.

Do you work with laptop? I personally prefer PC with a pair of monitors. It helps me not to switch working windows.

Hello Joschmoe! As a new Forex trader you have to concentrate on your trading strategy or system rather than your PC or Laptop! For doing Forex trading, don’t need to use modern PC or device! I use my old laptop and windows 7! But till now I am making standard profit, know why? Because of my trading skill and knowledge!

I don’t think so that any trader requires any specific technology to access any broker’s platform, but i think having appropriate knowledge and capital is required in order to earn money through forex trading.

I can only speak about the Meta Trader 4 platform, since this is what I use, but I can definitely say that it has pretty low system requirements. Even a relatively old machine should be able to run it smoothly without a problem.