Adding Text To Metatrader

Does anyone know how blocks of text (or pictures) can be added to a chart in Metatrader ?
The usual way only allows 1 line of text at a time.
Is there an indicator or script that can do this ?

Any help greatly appreciated.

No way I know of. Using a Paint tool after you take a picture of the graph might be your best bet.

MT5’s far more flexible about setting background properties such as images etc.

As far as I know there’s only the text and label objects for MT4, but you can build up multiple lines reasonably easy, and you have control over font, color, size etc.

Thanks for the replies, MT5 seems to have the ability to add images but not MT4.

If you learn mql4 you can create objects and text like these examples of mt4 custom indicators from the mql4 website.

This is exactly what I was looking for, to add rows of text or an image.

you cant add an image, only a shape
the text or label object are the only options available.
if you want a good example to woork from, try the dolly graphics thing, that’s got everything you’ll ever need.

In the attachment (text.gif) i have made an example using rows of text.
I’m looking for an indicator to add text or an image which would be similar to adding a text box or an image to a MS Word document. It would be very useful to add data to a chart in this way.

why not just add text to the chart manually ?

If you had an indicator, which would be trivial to write, you’d have to input the text anyway, and you’d have to mess about setting x,y coordiates for where you wanted it to appear

surely its a lot faster, just to add text directly to the chart, and you get the flexibility that an indicator wouldnt provide. Imagine messing about having to specify new lines, or indenets, or changes in text style or color.

Your taking something that already exists in MT4, and making it far more complex, but less flexible. It takes seconds to annotate a chart with the tools already provided. why on earth would anyone want an indictor that makes it 1000 times more complicated, and more time consuming ?

Do you know anything about coding …and for mt4 in particular? This kind of text on a chart would be very custom. Closest thing I have is a calendar indicator that displays the text of any upcoming news releases only for the pair of the chart I have open. However, the code required to display a few simple lines is very complex in order to extract the data from an xml file located somewhere on the web…lol.

If you know coding, then look at it’s code for guidance. Good luck with that. :slight_smile:

Forex Factory Calendar Code

Adding 1 line of text at a time to charts can be time consuming, depending on how many charts you use and how often you update them.
I think the tool to add a bitmap in MT5 is what I was looking for, e.g.

I’m relatively new to MT4, but I tend to put multiple comments on charts and would like a way – similar to the label object where I can put a multi-line comment on a chart with same characteristics as the label object only with multi-line capability. I thought it might be a good exercise to learn how to program this.

I have not yet tried any programming with MT4, but I have multi-year experience with “C-like” programming languages and this would be a good learning experience (unless someone has already done it.) – any ideas?