Why on earth can you not place trailing stops where you would place your take profit?

In mt4, i now realize it is not an option to place a trailing stop that would kick in at a future price. If this was possible, it means you could place trailing stops where you would normally place your take profit. This makes a whole lot of sense to me. It seems like you would be able to squeeze out a little more profit every winning trade. Does anyone else see what i mean?? or is this not making sense…

Aside from the fact that this would fundamentally change the definition of a true “stop,” it might squeeze in on the broker’s profits ;). Actually, the best way to do this is to set a tight trailing stop and once your trade reaches break even, you will be following winning price action pretty closely, which makes it much less likely that you will be stopped out.

Hopefully this helps! :slight_smile:

perhaps create an EA to trail your stop loss at definable intervals? I guess you would have to set a pip target before the trailing stop loss kicked in, then it would move up the exit price after every new high. It would be a bit of work but I don’t think it would be too complex providing you can program. It sounds like a promising idea. You can always manually do it too, either in your head or on MT4 by constantly adjusting the stops lol