Am I getting in too late after the news reports come out on standard bank platform

Hi, am I getting in too late. eg. This morning retail sales data came out, at 10 00am gmt time, as I saw the news come out on my standard bank platorm, I went long, but then it slowly went the other way.
Just before then the price had gone up. Am I getting the news to late and entering when its to late… Does this mean I need special subscription paid, for the immediate timing of the news. I think newswire Dow Jones gets the news immediately, but I think I have to pay for this.
Does anybody else have this problem, or somebody can help me on this.
Thanks
rainbow

Trading news is tricky. Most institutions already know whats on the report before it is released to the general public. Therefore times like that price is already figured into the chart before you will get the news. Not sure about a paid site but I dont think it is needed.

Yer, bobmaninc is correct.

Most news events which are figured to move the markets, are actually known to a degree in advance by the smart money in the market. The smart money being the investors and traders that actually move the market by trading extremely high volumes. So with this being taken into consideration, price itself should give you an indication of which way smart money are going to take the news event when it actually comes out to the general public. Now, im not saying that smart money know the news results prior to us, but they already have their mind set on which way it is ‘likely’ to go, and this is where you want to statistically.

Also, Just because price is moving to new highs prior to a news event, it does not mean that smart money is wanting to go long when the news event comes out. They may well be pushing price higher to squeeze out stops of other peoples trades, this way the volume is then released to them and they can take there short at the best possible price.

So, always think outside of the box, and not at what is made apparent to everyone else. You will gain an edge by thinking against everyone else, remember 95% of people lose in the long run, so you want to be thinking like them?

I certainly dont!

Same opinion as my fellows above!

You can trade the news imho, but it’s probably easier to trade it based on technical setups. Like say if you know nfp comes out and it would spike in one and the other direction to catch the spikes for a scalp or something like that. One has to evaluate testing of a couple of hundred trades in a few years and a system around it, tho.

I really like bucks approach to testing data of a good amount of years. I also do the same, but unfortunately trade by trade with no EA. Sure its time consuming, but also stimulating at the same time as your learning about each and every trade.

If only more people tested there trading approach over years of data, and not just a few months. Really frustrates me when they turn around and say that im crazy for spending so long testing and analyzing…oh years is to much data…tut tut…they will learn the hard way i guess :wink:

Yea, we get what we “pay” for. No blood and sweat and time, no gains. Just looking at a few profitable trades here and there is not enough.

I mean, it’s unimportant if you simulate it by hand, do it by forward tests or with backtesting. One needs just enough reliable statistics about an edge that one can trust the strategy.

Happy pips to you! :slight_smile:

Thanks alot guys, I wont just take the news events so seriously from now on. Will have to just keep trying different things until something starts to work.