Which time frame to trade? (I am starting out and am confused.)

It’s up to you, really. You get more signals on the lower timeframes, but transaction costs will eat up a bigger % of your profits (and add to your losses). You’ll also need to watch charts longer.

May be you should try them all for same time and than the one who is most suitable you can use it.

Thanks; very interesting

You should start your practice on daily time frame. It my sound a bit odd and difficult but you will see the good results in your trading account and also the patience is greatly practiced in this time frame.

I think the best time frame charts are higher time frame charts because we can on this chart find less false signals and so earn more money.

That part’s true.

It’s the “so” that’s the problem, there. It isn’t necessarily so, at all.

You haven’t taken trading frequency into account.

Some of us find that it’s much more profitable to make (for example) an average of 10 pips, an average of 6 times per day, than it is to make an average of 20 pips once or twice per day.

Even if lower time-frame signals are less reliable (and therefore average out at a lower profit per trade taken), their far greater frequency may still make them collectively [B][U]more[/U][/B] profitable. And often [U]does[/U].

By the way, this thread is nearly [B][U]a decade old[/U][/B]! :rolleyes:

I think you are the beginner in binary trading or you need to know more about it. I want to suggest you the best available time for trade.

Looks like you’re right out of luck, there, Adam: as you’d know if you’d read the thread before replying to it, the question you’re answering was asked in June 2007 by someone who hasn’t logged in since July 2007.

Are you [I][U]really[/U][/I] so desperate for traffic to your site that you have to pollute the forum with this nonsense?

The choice of time frame depends upon the trading style of a trader and their overall approach. Time mentioned by you- daily analysis or mostly used 4 hr chart is suitable for positional trading those who are long term traders and have long term approach. Time frame of 1 hr and less than that like 15min chart or 5 min chart are suitable for day traders who prefer to trade for short term.
So, it all depends upon a optimal strategy does with which a person wants to trade and should select a time frame accordingly.

Yes I think also depending with each trader style, might if any trader like as swing trader hence they can use at least 4 hour and combine with daily timeframe and for scalping trader might they can using 5 minute timeframe and combine with 1 hour timeframe

Another grossly misguided post brought to you by the good people at “bearish and Co.” A “scalper”(lets use the word appropriately) cares not for time frames and is, in practice, unobtainable to us retail traders. So why post such rubbish bro? Scalpers use order flow and that information is only available to the interbank market. And before I get corrected about futures markets do you really thing we can compete there scalping?

At the moment, you seem to be covering the board with quickfire, very general beginners’ questions (I’ve never seen anyone make so many posts, so quickly!) all of which are well covered by helpful comments in the “School” pages, here: School of Pipsology | Learn Forex Trading.

Working your way through that, first, and doing the quizzes, will be hugely helpful to you (including in enabling you to formulate questions whose answers will actually help you a lot more!). Good luck. :slight_smile:

Please don’t believe market trend status on lower time frames (below H4)! According to me, D1 time frame is much dependable to use! High time frames are much reliable than lower time frames! But till now you can use lower time frames if you are a scalpers! But again, don’t go against the high time frames momentum!

“Scalpers” use tick-charts, Liton, usually not time-charts at all (and [U]certainly[/U] not time-charts anything like M30 or H1!!): scalping is a style of trading that involves ultra-fast-moving trades (typically seconds, occasionally as long as a few minutes).

M30 and H1 charts have nothing to do with scalping at all.

you can read economic news on brokers sites, i read economicnews on liteforex site an it helps to choose time for trading

In order to my personal trading experience, lower time frames (below H1) are unfair, they are unstable! On the other hand, high time frames like D1, W1 are reliable! Even if you are a scalper till now I would suggest you to use higher time frames for the latest market trend status! I am a swing trader and I am comfortable with D1.

Yes very low time frames do not give you better idea of market . They are changing very quickly you cannot follow market correctly . I use h1 h4 and some times day 1 time frame to check market position then determine what will be the next move of market.

the first thing you should learn before “time frame” is how does the market move… observe its optimal movement times within a week, secondly dont have targets, the market gives what it gives. you just have to be ready for how much it will give, thirdly accept what it gives and dont optimise. it is a killer.

trading is “probability based”. pretty much any trading style you employ on any time frame if followed with discipline will yield a minimum 50/50 win/loss ratio. the key is money management and most importantly understanding how the market moves. not what drives it. there are acceptations like what happened with the chf. but that is far and few between.

keep this is mind a indicator does not tell you what “will happen” but rather what “has happened”. and is a visual aid to what your eyes already see looking at the bar charts. if you cant understand what the bar charts are saying you will not understand what a indicator says and what time frame to apply it to.

the following is some thing that really made the difference for me, schools were first created by conquering nations to get the slaves to build infrastructure for them. teaching them math so they could understand the building plan and build the projects. they taught reading and writing so that they could communicate in the conquers language. the “CONTROLLED”

university were created to teach the conquerors how to manage the slaves. that being said we have all been taught from a young age control and direction by others. “CONTROL”

the markets will be the first time in life that you will have no power in any measure to exercise and form of “CONTROL or CONTROLLED”.

so the only thing you are left with is “ACCEPTANCE” and hopefully “UNDERSTANDING” gained from experience.

if you try and apply any form of “CONTROL” to the markets the only outcome will be confusion resulting in loss of confidence and ultimately loss of capital.

putting it together

We come the markets looking to be the masters trying to “CONTROL” gain profits, using"CONTROLLED" in the form of technical and fundamental analysis.

with out any “UNDERSTANDING” or “ACCEPTANCE”. if the previous is applied first no “CONTROL or CONTROLLED” is need and the outcome is profit.

Now I am comfortable with low trading time frames like M5, M15 because of my scalping trading strategy! I don’t need to use 150-300 pips market opportunities, I concentrate on only 30-35 pips opportunity! Basically traders need to select their time frames according to their trading strategy and system! Yes, I do only scalping in my live trading!

An old thread, but still valid advice - I’ve looked at these lessons to see what they are all about; quite impressed with the way they are written for newbies, yet they still contain the underlying lessons that we should all know as either experienced or new traders.

Alot of the questions asked in the previous posts have been answered here, FYI