How would you answer this FOREX question...and help the man

imagine you are a british importer…who imports 5 million pounds worth of chinese produce every month.
the thing is the banks are charging you 2 percent to change your 5 million pounds into chinese money.yuan or rmb. you dont like paying such a large amount just for exchanging your money…

how can you as a forex trader benefit the man. ?

bear in mind that they may be dealing in a currency that is not part of a major pair.
and the man wants to save money …he doesnt want to lose on currencly fluctuations and he doesnt want to pay 2 percent

A bank isn’t going to hit a 5 million pound a month customer with a tourist exchange cost. There would be a fee, but not like you would pay if you went to the bank and exchanged 1,000 sterling into euro to go play in Amsterdam for the weekend.

Just to prove it, if smart business man has the option of just going online, and procuring futures for himself at the cost of $6.00 or so per $100,000 exchanged, a bank isn’t going to paste him for 2%.

that is just the question the recruitment guy asked me …he said if i can answer such questions…then he will alow me to go to a group meeting held by large forex company …in which about 25 of us get put in a room and the forex guys ask us all kinds of questions and about ourselves and what we have done…and they may offer someone out of the 25 people a low position at their company…

so i need to get an answer that reflects that i have a small understanding of the forex market and how to make and save money for clients.
this is a way in through the back door …for those of us who dont have phd in economics.

My answer was assuming it was major currencies.

I see an edit that you put up that changes things a tad, but the basic principle is still there.

But not losing money on currency fluctuations is handled with the futures market.

A businessman could dial in a million dollars at the desired exchange rate using 100:1 leverage (or even more maybe in the UK).

For the small price of 10,000 pounds, he could guarantee his price for 1,000,000 when he needed it. Futures go quarterly, (at least in the US) so if he needed his money in September, and the rates were good right now, he would be in the market already with a September expiration, at which point, the other 990,000 sterling would come due, and his currency of choice would show up on his doorstep.

Getting to something like the yuan might require a double transaction, because I don’t think there is a direct exchange of sterling to yuan right now. You would likely have to get USD, then head to the yuan, so you might have to double up on the process. That might get a little tricky, but I don’t think it would be too bad.

The thing about futures is, if you got them early enough, and price moved in your favor even more, you could make money on the money, while you were waiting on the final transaction.

So, say you needed a contract for September and you had rates that favored you right now. You made the purchase, then, the sterling jumps up greatly against the dollar. You would sell your current batch for a profit, and then rebuy the cheaper dollar for the transaction later, and bank the profit for Mr Businessman. If it moved against you, and the pound dropped against the buck, no harm, no foul. You’re already ahead of the game.

i think that is the type of answer they would be looking for…im gonna read up on these futures…

thing is in the above scenario…if the price moved against him and he had spent 10 grand on the contract…i assume he would lose his 10 grand…and still have to (as per this example) pay the bank his 2 percent exchange fee…
have i got it all wrong ?

Thinking about this a bit more, Mr. Businessman might want to use an “outright forward”.

Do a little research on that one. It locks in the transaction completely.

yes i think i was confused.

what you are saying is that he likes the rates right now…
lets say he gets 2 dollars for every british pound.
so he buys for 10k 1,000,000 dollars…worth of futures… based on if the market moves against what it is now (ie the pound gets weaker when he wants to exchange…so he would only get 1 dollar for every pound)
this means that the futures that he bought were based on getting 2 dollars for every british pound.

so time rolls on
and when september comes…he finds that the pound is only worth one dollar…Ie it has got weaker.
so he cashes in his futures contract…(exercises it) and pays the difference. which is 990 thousand pounds.
for which he gets 1 million dollars. at a rate of 2 dollars for every pound.

if when september came he found that the pound was worth more than 2 dollars then he would let the futures contract for 1 million dollars expire and use the money to do a direct transferr.
in which case he would make profit on his transferr compared to what he originally intended…and that could be used to cover the 10 thousand dollars spent on the original futures contract.

cool

edit…yes i think i get it…
if before september the pound was worth say 3 dollars …then you would buy directly 1 million dollars for 333k pounds…and wait …
then if in september the dollar was worth one pound…ie the pound had weakened …then you would sell your futures contract…and so you would have profit on your futures contract and the fact that you got your million dollars for 333k pounds.
if in september the pound was worth 2.5 dollars…then you would let the futures contract expire as the current rate in the market is better…plus you already converted your poounds to dollars at a rate of 3 to 1.

what about hedging to lock in the price?

google “currency hedging example” and then the Oanda link. there is a similar scenario…

not sure about the 2% though… just include it as business transaction costs?

Close, but not really.

go to Investopedia – The Web’s Largest Investing Resource and look up futures there.

They have a better explanation than I do;)

Futures ARE hedging. they insulate against an unfavorable move, because you’ve technically already bought what you need at a price you like.

Im not being bad here but if you cant answer the question yourself you dont deserve to be there,and even if you get to the room of 25 people and are asked more questions,what are you going to do ,say sorry hang on a minute Ill ask the strangers on the internet forum

ha ha…your funny chching…
you got it…
if they ask me any more questions then i will say …sorry hang on a minute …ill aske the strangers on the internet forum…

or maybe i could
read up a little on futures.options and derivatives, now i know how important they are to the forex market.
keep abrest of current affairs.
read a couple more books on forex.
ask a few more questions online.
drop my grade a pure mathematics a level on them
drop my grade a physics a level on them
get them to call harvey nash…who can verify that i single handedley built their IT Financial contracting arm from zero contractors to over 35 constantly out in the trading floor environment…generating turnover in excess of 4.5 million
put the branch of harvey nash on the preffered suppliers of J.P morgan …citigroup…salomon smith barney.
and previiously spent 4 years wrriting software that interfaced a system to the surrounding factory environment.
plus i come across fast and sharp…but not rude…and iw ill give satisfactory answers to any questtion they throw at me.
and if i cant then i will emphasise that its a junior position i want …and these are the questions i would love to be able to answer…

and last but not least …i will offer to work for free…just because i think my go getter…skills are just what they are looking for…
and failing that…i will get a couple of lords and ladies that i know to open a few doors…but i would rather not…

if you knew me then you would already know…the job is in the bag…i just godda go through the motions…
as i always …get what i want…

anyway…ill say it again…your funny.

and if that doesnt work …i will tell them about a billionaire contact i do other investment business with on a one to one basis…and that i would consider trying to get him on their books if they give me the opportunity to work for them and teach me the ropes…( but this too i would rather not resort to ) …but if and when necessary…i will.