FXCM Screwy USDollar chart

So I’m running an FXCM demo account and I put the USDollar on the chart and I get the number 9,943 bid. So I call them and the guy said that they take all four majors and price them in 25% each and this is the number they come up with. So, my question is: Can I use this as an accurate representation of the Dollar? The guy on the phone said I could but he works for FXCM so of course he is going to say that. Has anyone ever seen this done before? Is it only FXCM? I do not get it…should I change platforms and broker so I can get the USDX?

here is a better close-up. The dollar is the candle chart on the bottom and fiber up top.

Hi DT

I have a FXCM demo account and I also trade live with them (only micro account mind you).

It does tend to throw you a wee bit when you first see that their Dollar index differs from the “big” dollar index. But the important thing is that theirs goes up when the main one does, and it goes down when the main one does.

I actually googled this question months ago and found that there are now lots of ‘different’ dollar index charts nowadays.

But the best way of viewing it, if you really want the main dollar index, that I have found is to do this:

Follow this link to the NetDania site

What it shows you by default is a EUR/USD chart. In the search box below the chart type; US Dollar Index.

It then brings up the main dollar index chart.

At the right hand top edge of the chart you will notice a little icon that looks like a drawing pin. Click on that and it will detach the chart from the main page so you can keep the chart running at all times but close the page.

Hope it helps mate.

Good Luck

Thanks THOG

I have a TOS account so I can get the DX from there but I really like the overlay feature on FXCM. I think I will just watch the two and compare for a bit to see how close they are in sync. Do you use the USDollar chart on FXCM?
thanks again for the reply

I do use it, but not as an overlay, I use it as a separate candlestick chart. The main reason I use it however is for a negative correlation for the EUR/USD. If one is going up, more than likely the other is going down.

If you overlay your FXCM dollar index with the USD/CHF, you’ll notice that they pretty much move together. You could always use the USD/CHF as an overlay instead of the dollar index.

I’m finding in the last few weeks I’ve been using S&R ranges, pivots and correlation as my main “weapons” in trading. Not ripping up trees but holding the ship steady now at least

Ok …i will check it out…thanks THOG

This question came up last March in one of Michael Huddleston’s threads. If you’ve looked at any of his work, you know that tracking the USDX is one of the first steps in his top-down analysis of any currency pair.

Someone on Michael’s thread asked essentially the same question which you have asked, and one of the replies on that thread referenced the NetDania charts which HoG mentioned above. I pointed out in this post that NetDania provides both the DowJones/FXCM U.S dollar chart, and the standard USDX chart. You have to be aware of the differences, and you have to be aware of which chart they are showing you.