Currency pairs with most movement - and least managed by the regulators

Hi Guys,

Could you please tell me:

1} Which are the currencies that are not regulated (controlled) by a regulator. For example, Chinese currency is managed by the government. But as far as I know USD is freely floated.

2} Which non regulated currency pair has the highest pip movement ? (Like - 100 pips a day or 200 pips a day maybe)

Thank you

I think if you spend enough time on research, you will find the answer to that question plus much more.

Hi TheLastBear,

Thank you for the reply… I did some research and got a bit confused which is why I asked the question …

For example I found that some CHF pairs have high volatility - daily movement - but its a managed currency… I was not sure why people trade this, given its a managed currency…

Also found a couple of other high traded managed currencies which are part of pairs that very popular.

Just wanted to understand it from the view of other traders and their understanding…

Thank you

By national central banks, really, not by regulators in the normal trading-related sense of the word, but we all know what you mean … most aren’t. Of the “majors”, the JPY is probably the one in which the central bank interferes most (and even that’s still “rare”), and the majors are much less prone to this than lesser-traded currencies.

Answered here (and on many similar sites): [B]Foreign Exchange Volatility | Currency Movement | Forex Volatility Chart | OANDA fxTrade Europe[/B] :wink:

All currencies are managed to some extent. The Chinese yuan is of course the most severe case among the most popular currencies and this is one of the reasons it doesn’t have a large volume, as the Chinese economy is not subject to the rules of global capitalism and free trade.

A more correct formulation of the question is what currencies are pegged to others - the yuan is pegged to a basket of currencies in a certain relation, the swiss franc was pegged to the euro, but was disconnected recently, atlhough it does trade more freely than the yuan. This does mean they usually make smaller daily movements, but on occasion there are more seismic events that make it drop or climb with a large percentage.

Here’s a list of currency pairs by volatility, but it’s from 2013. You can easily find more recent information through google - Forex Volatility - Mataf

Element, if you’re interested in trading volatile pairs take a look at my Balls of Steel thread esp the first couple of pages.

Every currency is prone to manipulation, whether it be from a central bank or a private bank/fund.

Thank you guys for the replies … :slight_smile:

Hi eddieb, Thank you the information … I have read your Balls of Steel thread - although I need to go back and read again once I have better understanding of certain aspects of trading…

I started using the same / similar strategy after reading you thread, on my demo account. I used to trade 1 lot, now I have moved to 0.2 lot (EUR/USD). This, like you have said in your thread, allows me to wait for me wait for my strategy to work, rather than having to put a stop since I now lose only 2 dollars rather than 10 per pip and increases percentage of winning trades… I have been consistently making 40 - 50 dollars a day. I could probably make more if I did more trades, but I usually am able to do only 1 or 2 trades a day… I just place a market order and modify it to have a take profit order as well and leave for other things on the schedule.

I have to do it on the EUR/USD because my demo does not have NZD pairs like the one you mentioned in your thread…

Just have a question, these pairs while having high volatility, do they have enough liquidity through the day or atleast part of it (lets say to trade 0.2 lots 6 - 10 times between any 2 rollovers while trading) ?

Thank you

I’ve never had any issues with liquidity. I tend to favour GbpNzd, GbpAud, and UsdNzd so there is always one of the pair which is a major currency even if the pair itself isnt. Liquidity would probably be highest during the Gb and Us sessions.
Its a good strategy for traders with full time jobs who cant constantly monitor the market

Thank you eddieb for the reply …