Why can't I trade currency pairs at night

Hi all,

I have been using some demo accounts from FXPro, Dukoscopy and Admiral Markets.

Why can’t I trade at night? whenever I login to the demo accounts late in the evening, say 10pm or later, all three platforms show almost zero movement on pairs like EURUSD or GBPUSD. I even notice only very minute movement on pairs like AUDJPY.

I realise the UK and US sessions are closed at this point, but surely there is enough liquidity for there to be some movement after 10pm?

Is this normal? on dukoscopy there is practically zero movement on GBPUSD after 10pm.

and what does this mean for people who will try to trade the GBP during EU referendum?

Thanks!

I imagine it’s because you’re on demo. When you have a live account you’ll be able to trade 24/5

[B]10 pm in the U.K. is 5 pm New York time[/B] —

— the time we refer to as “the close of the forex trading day”.

Technically, the forex market does not close, anywhere in the world, except on weekends. But, trading volume and price movement typically slow to a crawl shortly after 5 pm New York time each day, and remain sluggish for a couple of hours.

In this 5-7 pm time period (10 pm - midnight, your time), the financial markets in Europe, the U.K., and the U.S. are closed. The financial markets in New Zealand and Australia are open, but are waiting for the Asian markets to set the tone for the new trading day. And the financial markets in Singapore, Hong Kong, and Japan are just beginning to open for the day.

Volume builds as the Asian Session (5 pm - 2 am New York time) progresses, but Asian Session volume is typically much lower than trading volumes later in the day, when Europe, the U.K., and the U.S. are open simultaneously.

Search the forum for threads on “times of day to trade”, and you will learn about the typical, daily ebb and flow of trading volume and price movement. Use the SEARCH feature at the top of this page (or any other forum page) to start your search.

I am guessing that is a something from the brokers you are using. The forex market is open 24/5 and definitely you can trade at night, just with a decreased volatility. You can try the paxforex.com demo account for better performance.

Then you have answered your own question (and Clint has kindly explained in much more detail, for you, just above).

That depends how you trade, and how much volatility you need. Certainly, during the Asian session, the price movements of many major pairs are very significantly reduced compared with the daytime. I always found it very difficult to trade forex at night.

I don’t know (and I doubt if anyone else does, either). For me, that would probably be a good time to avoid trading currencies.

When you have low volatility during Asian session, some traders take it to their advantage to trade large lots for small pips. Not my kind of trading, but some traders love it.

It is your trading style when you love trading . Some people like smooth market others love volatile market. We can trade in currencies too at night . If you find good move in metal or oil you can try it having enough capital for this type of trading.