What type of trader are you and what time frames do you use?

What type of trader are you and what time frames do you use?

I’m an intraday-only price action trader, and I don’t trade from time-based charts.

(I used to trade mostly from M5/M10 charts when I did, after looking at higher time-frames to get a sense of directional bias and potential areas of support and/or resistance.)

How about yourself, Gkuang?

I’m also intraday (in the context of how long my trades are open for). Typically trading a few times a week, I only focus on London Open set-ups.

I use a 1H chart only and use the previous days price actions for all analysis with a fast and slow SMA.

Again, I also only trade GBP/USD

I suppose it’s worth mentioning that I trade from February to end of November - 2 months to travel and relax :slight_smile: Prague Christmas markets in a week (lots of Czech beer too) and then Budapest with friends!

I am a long term trader. I trade on daily time frame using weekly support and resistance.

Hello gkuang2,
I am an intraday trader, however, lot of times the trades hold more than one day. I am using the daily chart to have the big picture of the main trend of the instrument and then I have a look to the 4-hour and 1-hour chart for entry and exit levels.

Sounds [I]very[/I] good to me. I haven’t been to Prague/Praha for a long time … and I’m ashamed to admit that my only experiences of Budapest, so far, have been a couple of times spending some hours inside the airport as a transit passenger, changing planes there. :8:

[I]Bon voyage[/I], Jezzode - travel well and safely. :cool:

It is a good method for trading, you can improve it if you trade by using weekly time frame and then go to lower time frame for entry, like 1 day or 4hr.

Usually, I am a scalper! That’s way, lower time frames are my best choice! But sometimes I also use good swing points of market! Fundamentally, I can’t hold my trades for a long time since my trading capital is below 500$! When I will make more than 5K trading equity, then I may use only swing trading style! But the way, what’s your favorite trading style?

Long-Term. Normally use Weekly and Daily Chart.

I am for the most part an intraday trader, I prefer using the 5M to 4H charts, but occasionally I open long-term positions too.

I am more of a day trader and feel comfortable to see my charts on 1 hour time frame. 4 hour time frame gives me a feeling of some long term trades.To get 30 pips daily, 1 hour time frame is the best.

I’m short-term (scalper) use 5M.

I am not full time trader but usually trades in my free time besides doing my primary business / job however my main preference is to trade during the London session or NY and mostly I like trading major pairs.

I’m more of a swinger… swing trader sorry :smiley: my main focus is on the 4H chart but I frame my trades using the daily and 1H time frame. I only trade the major pairs as I like to catch the trends and these pairs have the most liquidity and alow me to do that better than the Crosses.

What about you, what’s your preference?

[QUOTE=lexys;796604]I’m an intraday-only price action trader, and I don’t trade from time-based charts.

(I used to trade mostly from M5/M10 charts when I did, after looking at higher time-frames to get a sense of directional bias and potential areas of support and/or resistance.)

Hi Lexys!
I am a one year old price action short time swing trader still on demo.
I have been reading your comments here on babypips for a while because i know it make always sense what you talking about. /Learnt a lot from you./ Are you a full time forex trader? Another question: What do you mean by
you don’t trade from time-based charts? Please advice. Thank you so much. By the way i am from Hungary. Hope you enjoyed your time here in Budapest. Take care! imre

Hello: I am a Swing Trader and use Daily time frame. Also will do trades on 4HR time frame. I use 10 and 20SMA and pure Price Action. Follow news - love JPY crosses and Oil.

I like to scalp. In and out, 5 pips here, 5 pips there. Trade whenever I have free time. The way retail trading is meant to be in my opinion

I am also a intraday trader. Also I use to trade with binary options, and I usually use 5 min TF.

Hi Lexys!
I am a one year old price action short time swing trader still on demo.
I have been reading your comments here on babypips for a while because i know it make always sense what you talking about. /Learnt a lot from you./ Are you a full time forex trader? Another question: What do you mean by
you don’t trade from time-based charts? Please advice. Thank you so much. By the way i am from Hungary. Hope you enjoyed your time here in Budapest. Take care! imre[/QUOTE]

Hi Imre, sorry - I’ve only just seen your post now, 2 days after you made it. :8:

Thanks for your kind words. :cool:

I’m a full-time trader but not now a full-time [I]forex[/I] trader: I switched in late 2015 from spot forex (which I [I]had[/I] traded full-time for a few years) to futures.

I use volume bars rather than timed bars: the duration of each bar is defined not by the number of [U]minutes[/U] since it started but by the number of [U]lots/contracts traded[/U] in the market. This means that the bars are faster during the first couple of hours of the trading session when the markets are busiest, a bit slower for the rest of the day, a bit slower still at lunchtime, and so on. It’s a very convenient way of taking volume into account without needing to look at it separately and without needing an indicator for it below or on the chart. It does mean that I’m looking at charts with the bars/candles constructed differently from how they were on the charts I used when I was trading spot forex; but I’m doing exactly the same things now that I was doing then (have not changed the ways I trade at all) - just with slightly more reliable and slightly better results, overall.

I’m embarrassed to admit that my only experiences of Budapest have consisted of hours spent inside the airport as a transit passenger, changing planes there; but I’m looking forward to a future visit, some time, to see the city and country properly!

I am intraday trader and most of working consist on M30 and H1 charts and I am also using the scalping method, I am earning reasonable amount while using such method and I found forex lucrative and interesting business.