How much did you start trading forex with?

Hi guys,

Im going to deposits 1000 for trading, just curious how much did u guys started with?

Have you had a series of at least 300 consecutive trades on a demo account without losing any of its fictional funds?

I actually started with just over $3,000, but that was after a very long delay and trading on demo for a really long time. (I had [I]wanted[/I] to start off much earlier than I did, with $1,000 or so, but I wasn’t able to at the time.)

I think $1,000 is a perfectly reasonable amount to start off with, [I][U][B]as long as[/B][/U][/I] …

(i) you’ve first proven your edge and the validity of your risk-management parameters on a demo account, and …

(ii) you’re trading somewhere with enough position-sizing flexibility to allow you to use appropriate stop-losses without ever risking more than $10 of that (1%) on the outcome of any individual trade (i.e. no more than a $10 loss if its stop-loss is hit), and …

(iii) you don’t have multiple trades open simultaneously, which would increase that risk exposure.

The people who have all the widespread “accidents” are the ones who [I][U]aren’t[/U][/I] doing those three things, and of course there are reasons for that! :wink:

Good luck!

I make a start with little amount in hundreds. I think the money which is spare with us is best to use. I do not want to use all my amount in trading as a beginner. As a newbie small investment was my first choice that gave me an experience that how to use this and how to protect it from loss.

I started with a big Fat nothing. I traded demo for months. The I used a tiny account $100 for months and steadily increased the account over time

1 Like

Thanks guys for the input, i have been on my demo account for 5 months, been practicing with only risking 1% of the account balance, had been on some really good trade lately. I think going live is where i can learn more mainly the psychology side of trading.

1 Like

If your serious about Forex you have to operate as a business. Losses are a cost of making profit… money is the product… simple.

Even though I had substantial funds available from years of stock trading. I started with $250 in my first live account (I now have accounts with 3 brokers). It was enough to trade 0.01 positions make every mistake possible with minimal draw down and learn Forex. If the account was blown, I had backup to reload and start again.

Trading a demo account is a great way to learn the flow of the market, your platform and some strategies. What is doesn’t teach you is the psychological side of trading with real money. Even small losses are a slap in the face when trading a live account for the first time, sometimes having a small account and trading real positions will definitely sharpen the learning curve.

Forex is a tough gig to master, but as businesses go, Fx has one of the lowest startup costs of any new venture I have been involved with over the years.

As has been said many times throughout the forums, if you cannot make a profit on $200.00… more money isn’t going to help. You need to learn Money (Risk) Management, Price Action and [U]Discipline[/U] to turn a profit.

1 Like

Best of luck for your live trading! Yeah, 1000$ is a good stuff for new investors! Whatever, I started my live trading with only 500$. Unfortunately, I was unable to arrange handsome capital for live trading! Instead of aggressive trading lot size I used only defensive trading lots in my first two years of live trading! That’s way, I never crashed my live account here!

I also started with $1000! It’s a decent amount to start with just make sure you’re confident from demos before going live. Good luck! :slight_smile:

Good that you start with 1000$ and if skill trading already able making accurate analysis hence as trader will can generated good profit start from these capital, so far I am start only using small capital but I want also start with these amount capital if already enough capital

I was cautious as an inexperienced trader in the beginning. I didn’t want to risk more than 1% or 2% of my capital. So decided to invest $1000 like you are about doing. Later on, I had to figure out trading methods that boosted my confidence to invest more.

I have been consistent the past couple weeks on demo, the trades that resulted in loss are usually because i got greedy, instead of waiting for a confirm signal i jump right into a trade once i saw the price action moved up, the other mistakes i made is i assume too much, n trade before a major news release

1 Like

It is best amount and you can earn reasonable amount with the investment of 1000 USD, forex is good rewarding and lucrative business and all the newbies should start the forex with strong investment and I would like to say that 1000 USD is the ideal amount

I had only 300 bucks at the start so I decided to try trading with that sum. I can’t say it was not enough… but it was pretty enough to earn the first experience on the live account

Maybe so many trader that start trading with bigger capital, but for me usually only start from small capital, less than one hundred dollar, because still on learning and often facing with loss, and start from small if losing all money and wiped our account not too much regret

1 Like

I started with 24 euro, (the bonus that plus500 gives to you). Since I was a newbee, I “gambled” and in 4 days, I turned my 24 euro into 322 euro. Now I transfered those money to my Oanda account where I will not “gamble”, but actually try to learn how to trade with a strategy. I have proof of my plus500 account, if you are interested pm me

Welcome to the forum.

Please appreciate that brand new members seeking private-message contact to discuss brokers, offers and bonuses, in their very first post, tend to arouse a little suspicion regarding their motivation for posting (as that always raises the possibility of incentivised/affiliate promotions by private message).

It’s for this reason, among others, that new members aren’t allowed to use the PM facility until they’ve participated in the forum for a while.

Yes I understand, I was just saying that this pure luck got me really hyped up about forex trading, drove me to find this amazing forum and actually start learning :). I by no means promote anybody :slight_smile:

After months of testing on demo accounts I started live with 500 USD and managed to make them 950 USD in 3 days…blinded by my success (could also be beginner’s luck) I continued to trade and lost everything in the next 2 days. I made one more try with 300 USD which were lost again within 2 weeks. Now I am just practicing on demo to find the right strategy and will go live again at some point for sure.
Conclusion: Despite the high change to lose real money at the beginning it is always helpful to test the real market. There are things you cannot learn only on demo like discipline and avoiding emotional trades, so every experience with real money is helpful in your progress as a trader.

This forum is indeed a great place to learn but still you have to get experienced in order to become a good trader.

I traded with no investments as I started with paper trading then went on to demo trading account. Once I was completely confident about my strategy and skills, I went on to Live trading account with the deposit of only $500.