Why Over 90% of New Forex Traders Fail To Make Money

Of all of the new people that decide to give forex trading a shot, most of them will end up totally wiping out their account balance within a few months.

In fact, if you are reading this article right now, there is a good chance that you too began your forex trading career with a string of losing trades, followed by frustration and dismay.

The fact of the matter is, most new forex traders all make the same mistakes, and for that reason they all give up the sum of their trading account back to the market.

Today I will outline three of the most prevalent mistakes that novice forex traders make, so that you can make sure to catch yourself if you are doing these things and begin to create successful trading habits that will lead to forex trading success.

The first mistake has to do with the way that you perceive forex trading, and consequently the money that they use to fund their account. Many losing traders begin with the flawed perception that forex trading is just a simple way that they can make money from home (usually as a result of misleading advertising). Yes, this can be a home business (and a pretty profitable one to boot), but this does not mean that it is necessarily easy or that you are guaranteed to make money.

The mistake that these traders are making is to NOT fund their account with ‘risk capital.’

It is always important to fund your live trading account with risk capital, or money that would not put a dent in your finances if you lost it. But as a result of this ‘easy profit’ mentality, these of people will fund their live trading accounts with money that they cannot afford to lose, thereby making sure that their trading experience is a highly emotional one.

This segues nicely into the second mistake, which is to become emotionally attached to your trades. Emotional trading is the fastest way to failure, yet it is not hard to understand why so many traders feel emotional when they trade the forex for the first time.

To most, the concept of being able to grow your money just by correctly pressing the ‘buy’ and ‘sell’ buttons on their desktop is an entirely new experience, and for that reason they will feel angry or sad when they lose money, and overjoyed when they make money. They look at it more as gambling or a game of luck rather than an investment that takes time and effort to grow.

The third mistake that novice forex traders make is actually a result of being highly emotional with their trades, and that is TRADING ON IMPULSE. This is bad, bad, bad!

First off, it is important to establish a trading strategy with certain rules that you follow down to a tee, so that you only enter or exit the market when there is a verifiable reason to do so.

When you place a trade on a whim, you might feel confident for the first 30 seconds or so, but after a while you will start to question yourself and wonder why you are even in the market in the first place.

So to recap, the three big mistakes that novice forex traders make is to fund their trading account with money they cannot afford to lose, get emotionally attached to their trades, and enter the market on impulse and deviate from their trading strategy rules.

What you will want to do if you want to be in the 10% or fewer of forex traders that actually make significant profit is to fund your account with risk capital, work on becoming emotionally detached from your trading, and never deviate from your set trading plan or trade on a whim.

To inspecterforex :

Did you copy this post off some website somewhere? :mad: :mad:

hi . to answer to your question … i got to say that your right i got it from a reprint website just thought it was good and it would of helped someone who is new to forex trading … is that not allowed in this forum???

inspecterforex

yep, that article pretty much nailed it on the head…I remember when i first started I had like 12 losing trades in a row…but I had what was called common sense and traded only .5 to .20 lotsduring that initial period.

I had enough to trade more per pip but I knew that starting off I was going to fail a few times be4 I got a handle on the psychology on trading.
During that losing period I modified some rules, changed some strategies and spent some money to improve my game, even though I was doing ok during the demo period.

I still lose money, but nowhere as much as I win. And when I lose, it’s always less then my potential to gain on any one trade, so either way I always win.

Everyone goes through this period, no matter how much demo trading you’ve succesfully did…doesn’t matter. But are you saavy enough to realize that you to are prone to making the same mistakes as all the other beginners who swicth over to a live account?

Can you man up and just admit…“hey, I know I have some work to do…so I won’t go trading my newly funded account on mini and standered lots to start making REAL money right away…” I don’t care how much money you have in your account, if your starting you should NEVER trade more then micro-lots.

Pretty soon, in just a few weeks to couple of months, you’ll be trading bigger lot sizes and go “hmmm, I’m making pretty good money…sweet :)”

Focus on fine tuning yourself first at the beginning and forget trying to make money right away, as tempting as it may sometimes be…trust me, the time will come soon enough were you’ll be doing pretty well for yourself.

You wrote about the three thing that traders do to mess them selves up.
I agree totally.
I’m new to this and am only on demo now.
But I copied your message and will have it handy in case I need to keep on track.
I want to start trading with real money but need to still practice more.
I know when i let emotions involved I jump out out trade when I shouldn’t have.
I guess you just have to stick with your plan and stay on track.
Thank you for the Great Advice.

very good article. I am still on demo trading . but one of the firsr things I picked up is that trading in any market is logical not emotional. One of the first things I have done is to look at my trades in terms of pips not dollars that way I have been able to seperate my self from the trade emotionally. also i treat my demo acct. as if it is real. When I do go to a live acct it will be with money I can afford to lose and very small to start with. I agree with Josef better to start small.

I think that another very important consideration is how much risk capital you fund your account with, vis a vis how much you intend to place on each trade as a cost per pip. I hear that many new traders fund their accounts with 2 or 3 hundred dollars then place trades at $1 a pip. what then happens, is they lose too large a % of their account on a single bad trade and before long - bingo, youre back out on the street on your ass with a zero balance.

This actually happened to me before I found this site and did the school, where of course, all this is explained. So if you are reading this and are live trading without having done the course. At the very very least, read all the chapters on money management, stop losses and leverage and live to fight another day.

Most people recommend not risking more than a very small % of your capital on each trade and to call it a day rather than fighting on to recover your losses that day if things aren’t going well. Live to fight yet another day!

By the way I initially traded with a UK based spread betting firm (IG Index) that allowed micro lots at �0.10 per pip and I funded it with �200 it was great, they even sent me a smart, bound, trading course over a 6 week period; even better! but when the 6 weeks ‘intro’ was up, they stopped me making micro trades and pushed me up to �1 a pip minimum trades. I blew my (obviously underfunded ) account in a matter of days. :frowning:

I don’t know if this is common practise but it sucks. I now use a broker that allows permanent micro lots and I can upgrade to bigger lots when i’m ready too.:slight_smile: Trading with micro lots is a lot more fun than demo trading and a good bridge towards bigger trades because the fact that you are using ‘real’ money helps you to start to understand and control the emotional side of trading.
Just my thoughts.
Good luck and happy trading!

I was there telling everyone the speech 2 months ago…you have to turn your emotions off…well unless you are a ROBOT that isn’t going to happen…i have learned over the last 4 months that you WILL lose money, but you can be smart about it… dont be greedy take what you can get and move on to a another day…as far as money you can AFFORD to lose… i don’t like losing any money…and if i am losing money i am doing something wrong

I have figured out some angles i am going to test my system for a month
if all goes well i will share it with the masses. I think i found away to take
a little bit here and there everyday… stay tuned

someone posted this same article here around the time I started. Its key information for new traders. Should probably be a sticky in the forum?