AUD/USD Help? :S

So recently I’ve been studying the AUD/USD pair and I am really confused about the price-movement during the financial crash in 2008. Shouldn’t the pair rise in value if the dollar plummets? I’m obviously missing something here would love some help thanks a lot.

Please help a confused trader :slight_smile:

Here you are
Australian dollar collapses to five-year low

oh so basically both the Aussie and US dollar plummeted because investors abandoned ship to safer currencies like the yen? I guess that makes sense, thanks a lot it has boggled my mind for some time. :smiley:

side note: Looks like the japan 225 also went down during that time … I wonder where the investors went? to gold maybe but the the gold rally is a small spike compared to the other currencies total plummet… cash withdraw? banks?

Remember a lot of financial institutions went bust and more got into serious difficulties. Governments helped prop them up but I would imagine (I didn’t trade back then) that the amount of fx trading would have fallen, particularly in riskier pairs

Thanks for the article Carlos! I was looking at this thread yesterday and was hoping for a meaningful replay :slight_smile: