What is the meaning of High Probability Trading?

Hello to everyone,

What is the meaning of High Probability Trading ?

Are there patterns/ setups that have a high probability of being repeated again, How ?

I mean do professional traders have the same percentage for those setups/ patterns ? Or is it something subjective ?

They say that past performance isn’t an indicator of future results. So How can a trader know the probability of anything !?

Hello AmineL,

There are indeed patterns or set-ups that have a higher probability of resulting in profit [the key understanding in this context is that we are talking of long term; perhaps not instant profits after only a few attempts of such set-ups]

People who use this terminology are considering both…

1. The win rate of the set-up in question
  2. The pay off in terms of multiples of the amount risked per trade, known as ‘R’ from a stats point of view

It’s a grey area in context, but essentially it just means that it’s the only set-up that traders will look at as a priority - it’s also important to realise that a high probability set-up will vary from one trader to the next as it’s down to personal preference, regardless of it being proven statistically.

I understand that this is perhaps confusing at first, but what works for one trader may not for the next trader.

1 Like

Thank you Jezzode,

Is there a good book (or somewhere) where to find all those high probability setups ? Or is it something that everyone has to find for himself ?

I found some books that have the “High probability Trading” in their titles…But they do not seem to be good.

Unfortunately, it comes down to personal circumstances. There are as many different ways to trade as there are people who trade - which is what makes it such a complex and difficult area to advise on. For example I personally trade on the one hour charts, averaging 10 trades a month. If I told someone who trades the daily time frame who trades a few times a month my approach it may not work; just like if I told someone who trades two or three time per day every day.

This is why trading takes such a long time to master…finding what suits you is what really matters, or rather finding the trading approach that suits you?

I personally took the latter approach as I had no choice with limited hours to focus towards trading. Either way, you can make money, but it takes time and dedication. I know this is not perhaps a quick solution to your question, but it is at least honest :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you again Jezzode for your valuable advice.

Yes I do understand what you mean. Everyone has to find what suits him/her.

Trading is quite an interesting thing to do. There is no white or black…everything is Grey !

Absolutely, I can assure you though that after time it does become clearer.

Right now it is indeed 50 shades of grey, but at some point they do become darker until you eventually get the hard black line which you will follow day in day out.

(no film reference intended…)

For me, high probability means same direction on technical and fundamental analysis! And I always use maximum trading lot size when I get this type of magical entry point! Whatever, I don’t use aggressive trades here, like trading without SL! I do believe, there is no guarantee! I see, market provides me more than 90% accuracy when I get same direction here, so the probability is much higher!

1 Like