Is Forex Trading Gambling - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    To keep it simple.
    If I have $1000 to trade with and to keep my leverage at 1:1, I need to place a a mirco trade of 0.01 lots.
    If I have $10,000 to keep it at 1:1, I can place a mini of 0.1

If i were to use .05 lots on $10,000 what is my leverage?

What currency pair would you be trading, what denomination is your account in and finally what is the market rate (exchange rate) within this example.

Understandable some trading platform dont use the Lot system and go by 1 standard trade which is $100,000. So to use 1:1 leverage you will have to place a $100,000 trade.

To reduce risk all you have to do it place a $50,000 trade this reducing leverage by 50%

This will be varying depending on the currency you are holding and pairs you are trading with.

I hold AUD so trading eur/usd for example will have a different degree of sizing.

Ok, I see the confusion here.

If your account size is greater than the total value of notional trades open, then it may appear that you are using less than 1:1 leverage.

However, it always remains at 1:1, regardless. The remaining equity in your account which is left over from this 1:1 leverage trade is simply not being used, is not invested, and can not be effected by the trade in question.

This remaining equity may as well not be in your account.

Quote Originally Posted by ForexTFP View Post
    Understandable some trading platform dont use the Lot system and go by 1 standard trade which is $100,000. So to use 1:1 leverage you will have to place a $100,000 trade.

To reduce risk all you have to do it place a $50,000 trade this reducing leverage by 50%
    Let's look at this as a great example.

The trade has a notional value of $50,000

You have $100,000 in your account.

You use 1:1 leverage and $50,000 is now tied up in the trade. You also have $50,000 left over sat in your account which is not being used. The most you can lose on this trade is the $50,000. You will always have the remaining $50,000 left in your account. This remaining $50,000 is doing nothing - it can not drop the leverage used below 1:1 because it is not being used on the trade in question.

I'm not trying to confuse you
    But it's a mathematical impossibility to drop below 1:1 leverage

If you don't want to believe me then you can call your broker - it will be the quickest call you've ever had.

The most successful traders i have met are those that trade with over 100k and trade as a 1:1 ratio or less, trade pairs that give only a positive yield.
    I'm quite surprised that successful traders have told you this, I'd personally question this...

Where is Clint - He usually provides insightful examples of this nature.
    Last edited by Jezzode; 04-17-2017 at 08:24 AM.

I am trading also use cent account now and start small capital, I am not forex as gambling but trying to treat money with risk management trading plan and start lowest lot size, but I like use high leverage like as many retail trader that still not treat forex as serious manner

Quote Originally Posted by Jezzode View Post

If your account size is greater than the total value of notional trades open, then it may appear that you are using less than 1:1 leverage.

However, it always remains at 1:1, regardless. The remaining equity in your account which is left over from this 1:1 leverage trade is simply not being used, is not invested, and can not be effected by the trade in question.

You use 1:1 leverage and $50,000 is now tied up in the trade. You also have $50,000 left over sat in your account which is not being used. The most you can lose on this trade is the $50,000. You will always have the remaining $50,000 left in your account. This remaining $50,000 is doing nothing - it can not drop the leverage used below 1:1 because it is not being used on the trade in question.

If you don't want to believe me then you can call your broker - it will be the quickest call you've ever had.

I'm quite surprised that successful traders have told you this, I'd personally question this...

There is no confusion on my part but mathematics is not only linear progression.

But I know where you are coming from and how I am trying to explain it as in reducing risk. One does not have to use 1 full lot per $100,000.

As I have said I know the most successful traders do not leverage up and in theory reduces leverage by 50%

You can go on about using only $50k of your $100k balance but this will bring rise to over risking, by NOT understanding how leverage works.

I will leave it here as its going off the post topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Jezzode View Post

V great info.. Now I know what the real difference between 1:1 until 1:50

There is no confusion on my part but mathematics is not only linear progression.

As I have said I know the most successful traders do not leverage up and in theory reduces leverage by 50%

You can go on about using only $50k of your $100k balance but this will bring rise to over risking, by NOT understanding how leverage works.

I will leave it here as its going off the post topic.
    You're referring to effective leverage, not leverage used. As I have said, you can not use less than 1:1 - this is impossible and has nothing to do with maths being linear - there is no need to try and make a simple calculation sound complicated.

This is also a proven fact when trading on a margined account. Every retail trader, commercial trader and broker understands this and uses it day in, day out, without any problems. But, for some reason you can't agree with it and want to be the minority.

You need to understand this if you're going to use it as the foundation of a constructive argument.

It is what it is.

Considering you have a twitter feed where you apparently provide advice, I would assume that these basics would be second nature to you. Quite rightly so Babypips removed this link earlier this afternoon.
    Last edited by Jezzode; 04-17-2017 at 02:01 PM.

The richest 1% of the world are a minority.
    Top 5% of the forex market are a minority.
    Someone here will understand Im sure.

Forum Sponsors