Infractions versus violations and my thoughts and suggestions

I get a little frustrated with the infraction system. The rules are enforced in such a random manner that it makes it difficult to understand. Very often there is no penalty for say… abbreviating the name of a chat room, then out of nowhere one is penalized. Or you penalize where no infraction has occurred and to cover your error you reference prior infractions that were not penalized - the “he hit me first mommy” defense.

Let me ask you:

1. would you like to join the ICT Skype room
  2. would you like to join the ICT Sk… room
  3. would you like to join a talk room that uses ICT methods
  4. we hate ICT on BP, and look at what he did on myfxbook - he can’t trade…

which of those 1-4 is acceptable just so that I understand.

Now, there is an internal method of messaging each other within BP. If someone says “can someone help me with an Excel spreadsheet.” and someone replies “Sure, send me a message and lets discuss what you need” how can this be an infraction, when you are the ones providing the messaging tools. And if you make a mistake and give an infraction when you shouldn’t, how about being grown up enough to say sorry dude, it was an error please ignore, instead of writing back to users that they’d committed other infractions they were not told about, so it all evens out.

Lastly, there is a difference between flaming someone, trolling with multiple screen names, and trying to feel out to see what other social media we can mention. People post Youtube videos for goodness sake, people mention books, there is this whole outside world of social media that people use to learn. It should compliment BP, not be this dark outside world that we are afraid to mention.

Lastly Lastly. An infraction implies discipline. Let’s have a non disciplinary reminder or rules notification, so that you’re not treating adults like school kids.

Hogarste,

I’ve been informed that your support question was answered by a member of the team. Have a read. If you still feel you need more explanation, I can provide you that.

Regarding the infraction/notification system, we have those in place. In many instances, you receive a warning before ever receiving an infraction. You may even receive several warnings before ever receiving a infraction. Warnings don’t count toward anything. They’re just warnings. And there’s also the chance that you receive an infraction on your very first violation, and even an immediate ban with no warning or infraction.

“It depends”. Moderation is not black and white, which is what I think you’re looking for. Unfortunately, that type of system or rule set is not possible. We’ve tried it, it doesn’t work. We try to be flexible in our moderation, give the benefit of the doubt whenever we can. We also make mistakes. But we far more often do just a simple cleanup of non-value threads/replies without ever notifying the user, mainly due to volume and resources. But cleanup can result in a warning or even infraction. Again, it’s not a clear science.

Infractions do expire, normally after 7-10 days. Banning due to infraction build-up very rarely happens, unless the member blatantly continues to violate the rules after being notified.

And when a warning or infraction is given, you receive a notification because of that violation. The nature of the topic at hand requires that we discipline those members that break rules. If that’s treating members like children, unfortunately, that’s the system we have in place. It’s not going anywhere. And it’s pretty typical for Forums.

I’ll just remind everybody that our rules are in place for a reason - to keep the peace and keep the focus on learning and education. They’re not perfect rules, our moderation team is not perfect, but we try our best to get it right. And most of the time we do.

__
Pipstradamus

Old m8.

I think you need to give yourself more credit to your achievements. I think you’re resoncible for your learning. Stop blowing wind up ICT. Your success is because of your hard work over many, many years ( respect bro).

Also its only a forum.