Website Downtime Details - Thursday, Apr 14th

Greetings everyone,

We experienced some prolonged downtime today due to a distributed denial of service attack originating in South America, specifically Argentina, Columbia, and Chile. In an effort to get us up and running, along with some other things, we decided to temporarily block all traffic coming from those countries. And the result - poof, we’re back!

If any of you know the culprits, please tell them to cut it out. Sorry to the rest of our members in Argentina, Columbia and Chile. A few spoiled it for you! Boo!

Thanks for being patient with us. You guys and gals are great!

Pipstradamus
Support Oracle

Uhmmmm…March?! :33:

Hmmm, let’s see — is Obama and his crew back in South America?

He must be due for another vacation — it’s been 2 weeks since his last one.

And you know he hates Babypips.

Clint

PROUD to be on Obama’s ENEMIES LIST

Those pesky South Americans have launched a time-warp against Babypips!

March, April… oh so close!

Nevada must now be part of South America. On my iPhone here, and it’s SLLLLLLLOOOOW.

Can’t get on from my land line comuter at all.

It looks like we’re still being “admired” by those folks in South America. If our website doesn’t load the first time, try clearing your browser cache. That seems to be working on our end. Also try another page (Forums, School, Tools). Our host has turned on DDoS (Distributed Denial of Service) protection to help with our own efforts, but it might be creating false positives and blocking legitimate traffic. If you continue to have issues, please let us know.

Thanks for hanging in there!

Pipstradamus
Support Oracle

But…

Why do people even waste resources doing this to a website like Babypips for no reason…!?

How come you can change your thread’s title?..we can’t but would like to have that option too!

Well I am in SOUTH Africa and NOT in SOUTH America (although I have to admit that ONE day I’d like to take a helicopter ride around that statue in Brazil) and I have noticed that my ‘Desktop Shortcut’ that has ALWAYS (for YEARS and YEARS) worked no longer works i.e. I have to ‘refresh’ the page before the forums load. Alright: I’m pretty sure that SOME people are quite happy about that (but you’re not going to get rid of me THAT easily)!!!

Regards,

Dale.

It’s never for “no reason”.

They probably keep getting their spam deleted, or memberships canceled due to advertising infractions.

Hackers are an odd lot. It’s usually vindictive in nature.

Oh…

So stupid… instead of findig other abusive ways of making money… they take revenge… revenge on something that is completely predicatable.

Pipstradamus,

I don’t know how much grief you had to go through to get the website back to normal, but for the past 2 days Babypips has been running just fine — no loading problems, no navigation problems, no error messages.

Kudos to you and your crew!

Clint,

Great to hear. We had to show those crazies who was boss. We’re still wondering who we ticked off and why. The attack was pretty substantial. Let’s all cross our fingers and toes that it won’t happen any time soon.

Pipstradamus