Virus alert - woopra

my avast AV is warning me about woopra-ns.com on babypips.com, could you check this please…

Is it a general warning? Or did it pop up when you opened a certain thread?

I’d be interested to see the actual warning, and the page it occurred on if possible:)

Edit: After thinking about it for a second, most viruses don’t come with a handy dot com extension to find them so easily, so I went to Woopra to see what it’s about.

It’s an advertising tool that counts visitors, tracks where they came from, and the items they looked at. I don’t think BP has it on, it most likely is attached to one of the many companies that paid for ad space on here. Your AV program probably didn’t like getting probed a bit as Woopra checked history.

Yes is a tracking code, and is all over the forum…

the thing with this kind of code is that they can insert any malicious code at will… I won’t post here until it is removed… :frowning:

Greetings yunny1,

Thanks for your question. Master Tang was getting close with this research. Woopra is not malicious code. More info can be found at Real Time Web Analytics, Live Chat, and Web Statistics - Woopra. We use Woopra internally to provide us analytics/statistics about what’s going with our website. If you’ve heard of Google Analytics, it’s very similar. It provides us traffic information, how and where our members and guests interact with our website, and loads of other useful stats that we use to give you guys and gals a better experience when visiting.

There’s no malicious intent in our use of this service. It’s one of several tools on our servers used to manage the overall well-being of your time on our website. Doing a Google search for “virus Woopra” yields 2 results in the first 60 listed with even a mention of Woopra being malicious. The 1st result is this thread. The 2nd result is a mention on Twitter that someone else received a similar virus prompt… in 2009. That was for a RC version of Woopra, not the final version offered/sold to the general public.

Hopefully this clears up any misgivings you have with the prompt. Thanks for sharing!

Pipstradamus

Soooo, in order to use Babypips.com you have to yield to big brother? yes that is a question. I was really liking this website but if I have to have people snooping into my computer then I guess this sin’t the site for me… I would love to know more about this and if we have options to disable big brother…

SO SO SO irritated.

I use Google Analytics on my own 3 web sites, I have looked at woopra, it is indeed very similar. I hate the ‘big brother’ syndrome of modern society - it gets stronger each day, fight it and try to minimize where possible is not easy, however to say that using Analytics software to monitor your own site is ‘big brother’ is pushing it a bit far.
Can you disable big brother on your own computer? - No, but you can minimize, first wipe all cookies, then do’nt let ANY cookies on board, then run a scan for hidden cookies, (freeware such as lavasoft will find them), then use web site advisor tools which advise you before site entry.
Most site Analytics are not interested in you after leaving their site, the other little pesks are monitoring you constantly.
Can you insert malware in Analytics code? - only site authors or a rogue hacker can and if he/she does then how long would the site last?.
‘Tracking code’ sounds ominous - believe me you encounter thousands of ‘tracking codes’ every time you surf the net.
I use babypips.com with absolutely no concern.

Hello Rabbet Berm Cult Pipster,

Thanks for your feedback. If you’d like to know more about Woopra, please have a look at the link we provided in the post above. It will give you all the information you need.

As for your irritation with our use of such technologies, we can understand your misgivings. However, knowing exactly what information is being shared by you and your computer might help put the situation at ease. I think it’s also safe to say that most larger and well known websites use some form of “tracking.” Every Fortune 500 company’s website is using something similar to what we use, so you’re not going to get away from it if that’s your intent. Your bank website, your email provider, your favorite news portal, gaming websites, everybody.

What you can do to protect yourself (if you feel unsafe) is to make sure you’re running antivirus and firewall software (or sitting behind an Internet router with firewall capabilities built-in). And feel free to delete your web browser’s cookies (from our website or anybody else’s), or just not except cookies at all. There will be a trade off, however, because most websites use cookies for other legitimate reasons, not just to track you and your web behavior.

Most companies, like us, use these cookie technologies to obtain “non-personal” information about your browser, computer and time on our website. Will we know what browser you use, yes. Will we know what your IP address is, yes. Can we tell what language your browser/computer is using, yes. Will we know what screen resolution you use, yes. Do we know your name? No. Can we look at your files? No. Do we know your credit card number? Absolutely not. Do we follow you to the mall? Nope.

We use all of this data to make your experience on our website better, now and in the future. We’ll know what is working and what is not working, from a design and content perspective. Do we use some of the “aggregate” information for advertising purposes, sure. We give all of this away for free, and have been doing so since 2005, but we still need to pay the bills.

Whether it’s “snooping”, only you can decide that. But we feel we have a good balance between what we’re taking and what we’re giving back.

We hope you decide to stay because there are a lot of great people to meet and some fantastic content to read.

Feedback is always welcome.

Pipstradamus

Thanks, peterma, for the support. And we agree with all of your comments. Ad-Aware by Lavasoft is a great freeware program. We’ve used it ourselves for almost 10 years. Spybot Search and Destroy is another great program that we’ve used just as long. And we also like HiJackThis - but you’ll really want to make sure you know what you’re doing with this one. CCleaner is also on our list for Windows machines. Compliment those apps with some antivirus software (plenty of freebies out there) and you should be good to go.

Pipstradamus

I am not sure this is true. I thought I seen pipcrawler stalking me the other day. and someone has to be stalking me to know the address to send my super cool shirt along with the survival kit (never know when zombies are going to attack so this might come in handy). To make that package show up on my birthday sounds like something funny is going on here :stuck_out_tongue:

Pure coincidence, or is it?!?!

Hi I am having problems loading onto Babypips with Firefox lately, after reaching the page for about one minute I am directed to a page stating an incorrect typing of some sort.
Your search - http://forums.babypips.com.woopra-ns.com/ping/?ra=2V5DDPXFMCNO3ULU - did not match any documents.
A couple of friends are having the same issue on internet explorer as well as Firefox.
Is there a way to fix this issue.
Thanks for any help you may have for us