Supply/Demand, VSA, Wyckoff with Petefader

Wow, Talk about being paranoid :slight_smile: … I doubt this is true. Also, note that brokers don’t profit from your loses.

Thank you for your very helpful replies. I have added a trendline and fibs (Should have done it in the first chart already, I apologize.) I see the significance of the trendline. Price bounced from it four times, so I suppose we should wait for it to be broken before we can categorize a downbar on low volume as a valid NS bar.

@Purplepatchforex: Yes, I can see how the first NS that I marked not only conflicts with the candlestick pattern but is also dubious (if taken in isolation, without considering background and context) because it was so narrow and could too easily have been a UpBar. But the main reason which invalidates a NS (any NS for that matter) in that particular situation is that a strong trendline needs to be broken first. Do I understand correctly?

@Pandras: I didn’t notice the third test. Thanks. Without giving the trendline enough significance I think it’s too easy to fall for the NS after ‘Test 2’.

I can rephrase my initial question into “How do I know how many tests we need?” It seems like I can’t really know exactly. Sometimes price shoots up even if the test was on relatively high volume, sometimes price comes back for a re-test even after a low vol test.

What matters is that we should identify a resistance area and wait for it to be broken AND we wait for price to show a confirmed NS after broken resistance. Is this correct? But then again, I have seen many entries in the old thread where it goes “climax–>test–>ND/NS–>entry”, without price having to break s/r. It seems that one could always imagine a s/r trendline, so the question is when do we use a trendline and when don’t we? I guess we just have to use common sense?

Hummels, I fully understand your question and it’s a good one. Different VSA traders will give you slightly different answers on how they chose entry.

In short it comes down to how aggressive you are. If the background clearly supports the reversal, I tend to be more aggressive then a sudden stopping volume with a less clear background. Waiting for a resistance (auto rally after stopping volume) to be broken, then a low volume test is not aggressive. Going off of a simple trendline break/NS is a bit more aggressive, and waiting for the actual trend to start and find a NS would be least aggressive of all, but can be quite a late entry. This is something I should discuss more in future posts. Thanks for bringing it up.

Basically saying the same thing but in the example on left, price was able to MAKE PROGRESS up on it’s close from the open, and since the first bar closed near the high…it’s not looking as bearish and example 2 where NO PROGRESS up was made on the close relative to it’s open. Of course it’s out of context, so that’s all I can say…depends where this shows up.

Hello Pete,
Please review my analysis Pete, I use volume and the bar spread, to identify weakness and strength, and the stochastic just for confirmation.
I think “the big boys” tried to get the higher place to jump @ 10.11.2011, coz the up bar @ 11.11.2011 volume is lower than 10.11.2011.
And this is “the EURUSD down trend Part 2” from 8.11.2011 (weakness from H4 Chart). The weekly chart is in down trend, and the stochactic already crossing…

My strategy for Monday are…I short the EUR @ 1,38000 , SL @ 1,39000. coz I think there are too much barrier (resistance area) from previous historical price. Strong resistance area between 1,39780 - 1,41180. So even if my position is closed at SL, I will short again @ 1,39000. And if price is start moving down I will double or triple my position after 500 pips (MT 5digits)

with lower volume @ 11.11.2011 than 2 previous bar there is no way for the EUR to get the fresh new higher ground…since the stochastic is already crossing @weekly chart.

Thanks a lot for your review, Pete.

A Noob from New Bie Island

This is a clean version of my chart…since too many horizontal line identifying resistance/support from previous historical price based on volume … :slight_smile:

This is where things start to get a little tricky for me. This image was just after a re-accumulation phase that broke out to the upside through resistance. The 3.6p level is another area of resistance historically. The bar I have highlighted is obviously showing supply coming in as it touches that area above, however, it is also a down-bar, with next bar up, so could this be viewed as a lot of strength with buyers absorbing supply?

I also get confused by definitions of a down bar as compared to a down day (in relative terms here as this is a 15 minute chart - a down day here would obviously be a down compared to the previous bar). Is one more important than another when looking for stopping volumes i.e. can we have stopping volume in an uptrend where the very high volume comes in on a down day (compared to the previous bar close), but is also an up bar going by the current day/bar open? Is it purely the close relative to the open we should be focussing on primarily?

how are you choosing the best time frame to trading the eurusd?
I think its an individual preference and depends on the personality and trading method some like scalping and taking small moves over the market others like the long trends.
would love to hear what you think about it?

Another Daily chart?? The Daily is good for s/r, trend lines and Fib but as I [I]already[/I] explained, I don’t do VSA analysis on the Daily.

You’ve managed to mention every time frame besides the ones I’m talking about here.
Let’s try to follow what I’m showing. I’m offering golden info on the techniques I use to trade profitably. I would like posters to be more focused on learning that, than trying to have me answer questions about things I don’t even do.

Yes, that high volume pin is supply coming in as higher prices got tested, but as I often talk about, look at the REACTION. There was buying as well.

The second question is about the Daily…someone shoot me now.

Pete, I’m not talking about the daily in the above question, hence my posting of the 15 minute chart. I was simply trying to understand if there is a difference in how I assess bars in terms of it’s close relative to it’s own bars open or low, and it’s close relative to the previous bars close. I simply stated previous day (meaning previous bar) because i didn’t know how to phrase the question.

Basically, if we have a stopping volume bar, then the next bar closes DOWN compared to the stopping volume bar’s close, but the bar closes at it’s high relative to it’s spread/low, does that change anything in terms of stopping volume confirmation?

Thanks. I hope you see what I was meaning.

So the second bar closes below the close of the first bar, but it’s closing at it’s high? Is this a trick question? Obviously there would have been a gap down! The second bar would be all pin on the bottom so it’s a sign of strength that should be confirmed on the next bar.

Wow you guys…seriously. I might have to ask the mods to do a cleanup here.

Oh, yes it is a gap down, which is why slight gaps up/down in illiquid shares after stopping volume can cause me trouble. I’m guessing gaps don’t appear in forex? I had no idea, and didn’t realise the question would be another annoyance for you. I apologise. I’ve learnt so much from applying all your techniques to trading shares. I’d read MTM several times, but only by finding this thread did I really manage to grasp things that were eluding me and making things more difficult. I’m also now only trying to post things/charts in this thread that can be answered and make sense to people who trade forex. Like I said, I had no idea my last question would cause such a stir.

P.S. I’m also 50 pages through your previous thread. Gold in there also.

Ok, no problem. I gave the answer, hopefully that is helpful. I think it would be better for you to finish reading the other thread before posting more. I’m sure most or all of your questions will be answered there already. And please, no more hypothetical brain twisting questions…and stop focusing on 2 candles like they are the mystery of the universe. There is always the big picture. Thanks.

Very good stuff, enjoy!

FileSwap.com : MTWyckoffSchematics.pdf download free

Hey All,
My first post on this thread. Please, more reading and less yakking! I just ignore most of the unnecessary posts. [U][B]But, Pete feels committed to read and respond to all of them. Give him a BREAK!![/B][/U]

It’s like asking a Doctor to take care of your blister. What a waste of talent.

Feel free to delete this post :15:.

@Pete
I wanted to ask how come you can draw those boxes to show res/sup in your MT4 trader in IBFX. I have demo account with them and don’t have that functionality.

@ALL
Also, has anyone had issues with their brokers feed. Where you get a dead flat candle and astronomical Volume. It happens reasonably regularly on GoMarkets and VantageFX. The signal is obviously wrong and is frustrating because it screws up the rest of your volume reading until the super high vol bars go off the edge of the chart.

Another thing I have difficulty with is my demo broker VantageFX seems to be lagging on order open and close up to 5 seconds. A few times it fails entirely saying no connection. It only happens occasionally but enough to be an issue. I have tested other brokers at the same time and no issues so it is not my internet throughput.

To be honest, these issues seem to be on-going, I have persevered this long because their spreads are great and their customer support is good, but am not really happy with this issue and probably would not trade live with them.

Anyone have these sorts of issues.

I use IBFX and I have that function. I think MT4’s default is to not show the rectangle function. Right-click on where you select lines, fibs etc and then you’ll see the option to customize. Then just insert the rectangle and you’ll be able to draw the boxes.

Hey thanks mate…all those extra functions been hiding out on me all this time. :slight_smile:

Hey Haggis,
I have the same problem with my Gomarkets acct just before close of the Markets here on Saturday morning. I am going to fix it by opening an IBFX demo acct, the same as Petefader, but make my trades with GoMarkets as I like their spreads etc.

Hello everybody
sometimes i see definite stopping volume with confirmation on 5 minute TF but then 15 minute TF shows a small up move after stopping volume bar which is non-confirmation, then 30 minute shows confirmation due to slight down move on the confirmation bar and 1 hour TF shows slight up move on 2nd bar for failed confirmation. I read on the thread you are supposed to look for confrmation on the hourly before exiting but does this just become a judgement call when it’s a fine line like this?? The 15 and 30 TF showed no demands at a resistance area soon after this and price later fell dramatically so it definitely looks like it was stopping volume but waiting for confirmation off 1 hour TF it would not look so obvious. Anybody have any advice?