My SMA & Price action method

How would I do that?

Oh yeah… I tried doing a few trades this morning with a different setting of sma and lost €100 so I put them back to 10-20-200 and made it all back in the past few hours. I really need to stick to this plan before trying to tweak it just to practice sticking to the plan religiously

In fact if I’d have stuck to the plan I’d have locked in 53 pips so far today :frowning:

You live and learn eh

Hi Majorero,
So you have decided to continue on hourly charts instead of daily?

It seems like your attached to your original trading method, which is fine by the way - i know its exciting when you see that a trading method turns a profit. But one point to mention, and as already mentioned is the following.

You said “had I stuck to the original plan you would have gained pips” - which is great, however before becoming attached its really important from a statistical point of view that you try to increase your sample size before evaluating if a real edge actually exists. Imagine a machine (not an educated human who understands probability of outcomes and the string theory) flipping a fair coin 10 times, 8 times comes heads and the remaining 2 times comes tails. It would be fair to assume that this “machine” could say what you are saying “my coin has an edge because it has an 80% chance of landing heads”. However make the machine flip the coin perhaps 500 times and the probability of heads against tails being the outcome will be extremely close to 50%/50% - now the edge has gone and the 80% edge (or 30% edge) doesn’t look so good.

Keep telling yourself that “it’s all about sample size” and the “probability over a sequence of events” - perhaps research the string theory and degree’s of freedom…this really will bring your analysis to a whole new level of professionalism.

Yeah, it makes sense really as if you take away all the labels from the charts, they all look the same anyway. The 1H chart will give me more trades hopefully.

Yeah totally get that mate. All I know is that at the moment, it works better than anything I’ve tried so far. Probably because I actually understand it hahaha

I’m still learning though and will read into string theory and degrees of freedom as you said. Thanks for commenting :smiley:

No problem, just drop me a PM is you want a hand, its bloody confusing at first but a real game changer when you realize what you have figured out.

Hope you don’t get into trouble with your boss! :slight_smile:

Yes, you will certainly get more trades using the 1H chart, which makes it much more lively but I wonder if it might be worth also keeping a close watch on your stop-loss postioning because the hourly range is much less than the daily and therefore your stops will initially be closer to the current price. Therefore it is more vulnerable to sudden spikes. I haven’t looked at this myself but it might be something worth watching and increasing your no of pips beyond the opening candle?

Just a thought…

You mentioned that you use FXCM’s Trading Station Mobile platform (when you can connect on WiFi at work ;)). Your account login will also give you access to the Trading Station Desktop platform which you can run at home or on a virtual private server (VPS) to automate your strategies.

If you have additional questions about this, please feel free to reach out to me via private message or post a question in the Broker Aid Station.

The SL is positioned 5 pips higher than the last closed candle if it’s bearish, lower if it’s bullish. Most the time these are engulfing candles so are quite far away. Once the move looses momentum I want the SL to be closer to price to catch the change in direction sooner if that makes sense

How come I can’t send PMs? Is there a post limit or something?

I [I]think[/I] so, yes. (It might be 50 posts, but that’s only a guess, and I can’t immediately find it mentioned anywhere in the forum.)

Kusty

Profits locked in

Closed both positions due to going back to the slave camp… I mean work lol

50.2 pip profit on Euro
37.4 pip profit on Cable

I’m gutted I’ve got to close them as I think they’ll both drop more but it’s not worth getting the sack. For now I need this job to save the capital to open a live account.

Hi Majorero,

I believe there is a post minimum, but I’m not sure what it is. You’re welcome to email me at <[email protected]>.

Okay so I finished my first week in profit of over €600. That’s almost more than I make in a month at work!!!

I’ve spoken to my boss about what I’m doing and he’s agreed to let me use my phone to check charts every hour. It’s mostly Facebook he doesn’t want us using which I can’t stand anyway so all good.

Let’s see if I can do it again this week.

Nope!!!

Blew everything I made last week and more. Back to the drawing board!!

Hi , what you think of my thread , is kind of same as you trading

I realised I’m missing far too many good trades because the indicators lag too much so I’m now using pure clean charts with support and resistance marked close to price and candle patterns at these levels to signal an entry. I also won’t trade against the trend even if one of these signals are present. I wait until price signals an entry again in the trends direction. So far my demo account is in profit which is a good sign. It’s also cut out a lot of fear as I’m confident the method works well.