Confused by divergences

How to Avoid Entering Too Early When Trading Divergences

In the first example here it looks like just a regular bullish divergence to me. Is it because the left side of the graph is cut off and it would show a strong uptrend that is coming to an end?

I [I]think[/I] probably not, but I’m not quite certain. (And this is a subject I know well.)

I’ve just spent about 10 minutes reading the whole page pretty carefully (twice over) and I’m really [U]very[/U] confused by it. It’s far from clear to me whether the person who wrote that page (a) has mistakenly used the wrong terminology, (b) mistakenly printed the wrong charts to “match” the descriptions offered, or just © has a [I]totally[/I] different and idiosyncratic way of defining and interpreting all the terms not resembling anything I’ve ever seen elsewhere.

Really, it could be any of three (or maybe even some fourth explanation?), and I just can’t tell which.

But clearly “something’s up” with it. :o

(I do also think it’s perhaps a little unfortunate that a stochastic, of all things, has been chosen for illustrative purposes, rather than something more helpful and relevant such as an RSI or MACD of reasonable periodicity.)

So I don’t quite know what to make of it, other than to say, in response to your question “I’m sure you are [U]by no means[/U] alone, there”! :wink:

If it helps you (and it should, I think), this Investopedia explanation of “divergences” is both clear and accurate. :slight_smile:

I realize now the distinction they’re making is whether the peaks or the troughs are being measured.

We can categorize all bullish divergences (whether regular or hidden) as a divergence between price/indictor lows.

If the price lows are going higher and the indicator lows are going lower, that’s supposed to be bullish. If the price lows are going lower and the indicator lows are going higher that’s also bullish.

If the price highs are going higher and the indicator highs are going lower, that’s bearish. If the price highs are going lower and the indicator highs are going higher that’s also bearish.

The thing is when highs are going higher, lows are usually going higher too, and vice versa, which means the regular divergences and hidden divergences could apply to bearish or bullish examples equally. Which makes this all mostly useless without specifying a method of determining which trendline should take precedence, the peak or the through. I guess you could check to see which side creates a steeper (more forceful?) trend, but I also suspect this will not be better than random chance.

My definition on Divergence is whenever price creating new extreme, but the Indi failed to do so.

In the first example the price do not creating new High nor new Low.
So for me it’s not a divergence (at least not Regular divergence)
Maybe its Hidden Divergence, because the price creating LH but the Indi creating HH, so it suggests a trend continuation. But to be save just wait for the Indi to show the signal which is crossover or out from OB/OS area. But this is just my opinion.