Closing outside of the visible range of candlestick

I am new to trading and am still on a demo account. I am using FXCM.
Recently I have noticed trades closing at a price outside of the range of the candlestick. I had one trade close 26 PIPS above the top of the wick on the candlestick for that time frame. This has also happened on entry.

I am not talking about market orders. Only limit orders.

Can anyone explain how and why this happens?
Is this an indication of chicanery on the part of the broker?
If so why would they do that on a demo?

Thanks.

this usially happens when the spread is far away. you pay lets say 50 pips spread (for example xau/usd) so the price comes to 1200 but you buy/sell at 1200.25. theres a 25 pips gap inbetween. when price then reverses at 1200 exactly and you bough there then it shows like you bought or sold outside of the candle.

But it was a common pair (GBPUSD I think) and the spread was under 2 PIPS

Can you tell us which pair it was, what the candlestick price was, what the stopped price was, and the stop out time and date, otherwise we are just guessing

I bet it was during the NFP release on Friday or at market opening today with the gap due to Italian voting. I don’t believe any broker would spend effort to intervene client’s trades on demo.
If it was the spread have in mind that BUY orders are opened by the ASK price and closed by the BID price and SELL orders are opened by the BID price and closed by the ASK price. So if you are using MT4 for example the candles there are drawn on the basis of BID price and that is why you may not see the closing price of your short trade on the visible range of the candlestick.
If the closing happened at the market opening with a gap your trades simple got executed at the first available price.
However, like Carlos suggested share more details so we could identify the reason more precisely.
PS: When we are speaking about closing of a trade we speak about closing of market trade. Once a limit trade is triggered/activated /opened it turns into market trades and gets closed as such :slight_smile:

Hi CP,

As FXCM’s representative of BabyPips I’m happy to look into this for you. Since this is a demo account, it’s easiest if you send me a private message with your demo login details along with the ticket number of the trade in question. I’ll be happy to share my findings in this thread so everyone can understand what happened on your demo account. :slight_smile: