Pennants and triangles

What are the difference? They are the same thing.

I searched the forums. Pennants have a flag pole and triangles don’t.

But in order for a triangle to form, it has to start after some sort of trend right? So there will be a pole at the beginning of the consolidation.

They’re certainly somewhat subjective and interpretative.

I don’t think there is much of a difference from looking at their shapes, though arguably there is from looking at their lengths (which relates, in a sense, to their “shapes”, perhaps?).

To me, a “pennant” is a short symmetrical triangle.

Up to a certain (variable) length, people call them “pennants”, but above that length, they’re often referred to as “symmetrical triangles” or “rising/falling wedges”, aren’t they?

So the difference is one of relative time-scale, in my opinion.

I’m not particularly impressed by the usefulness of these chart patterns, I have to say - and especially pennants that slope in the same direction as the general price trend seem to me to be of very little, if any value.

There are probably some good examples on Thomas Bulkowski’s site (thepatternsite.com)?

Nice site, I never heard of this fella. Thank you!

The difference between the two patterns is that the pennants are appeared in a short-term timeframes and are followed by a consolidation area and after the pennant a sharp rally take place. On the other hand, a triangle can be appeared on a long-term basis and can hold for 45-60 periods.

Triangles can also be appeared in 35-40 periods; however, pennants are in shorter periods like 15. This is the big difference between them.