4 Ways To Speed Up Your Trading Success

Sometimes the learning process of trading forex can be tedious and long winded. There are however a few things you can do to speed up the process.

[B]
Number 1: Try Scalping [/B]

When I first started out in forex, the word 'scalping' was a bit of a dirty word. I was taught moving average crossovers, bollinger bands and other techniques that entailed waiting on daily candles to do their thing.

Trading longer time frames is great, you do need to know what price is doing on the macro scales to find directional bias/ support and resistance levels. That being said the forex market does work on a fractal scale, meaning, there are patterns of self-similarity on all time frames. So while you are waiting for a daily signal at a particular level to occur you can certainly take advantage of a multitude of trading opportunities intraday.

Because you can be take several positions per day scalping, you get a handle on many aspects of trading a lot quicker.

I highly recommend adding a scalping system to your bag of tricks. The high frequency of setups (5 – 20 + per week) allows you to engage in the markets a lot more, hence speeding up your experience in managing positions and really paying attention to the smaller intricacies of price action. You also are able to discover your unique emotional and psychological profile as a trader. Another critical part of the learning process.

[B]Number 2: Back-test[/B]

Back testing is not just a good idea it is ultimately crucial to your trading success. It doesn’t matter if you have bought the best trading system in the world and it makes the creator millions of dollars each day. It’s not your system, so it’s not going to work for you the way it work s for him/her. You can however back test it, break it down, and tweak it to your own personal style of entry, risk and trade management etc.

I cannot emphasize enough how important this process is. If not only to confirm your hunch (or the sales pitch when you bought it) that is does in fact work, but why does it work? What is the maximum drawdown period? What currency pair(s) does it work best on? How will YOU manage the position if it goes against you? How will you manage it if it goes into profit? When will you bank profits? When will you close the remainder of the position? what about your stop?

I think you get my drift, this really is where the magic of trading forex starts to happen, so get in there and do the hard yards.

[B]Number 3: Trade live[/B]

There is only so long you can sit on the side lines trading paper money, before you need to bite the bullet and trade with real money.

“Speculators who trade imaginary money are no different from a crack shot in a pistol range. How would such a crack shot do in a duel, facing an opponent’s loaded pistol? That is when fear raises its ominous head, nerves fray and split, resolve is challenged and reason fled”
[B] Jesse Livermore[/B]
-The greatest stock broker of all time -

Although I do strongly recommend that you demo for the period of time, you do need to back test various theories or strategies (whether purchased or better yet, your own).  Trading live will allow you to develop the psychological side of your trading. Having real money on the line can toy with your emotions. It can have you making fear based, illogical and emotional decisions. Having these experiences will allow you to begin exercising discipline and controlling your emotions when trading. Making mistakes is part of the process of becoming a trader.

I do advise you only risk what you can afford to lose and have a sound risk model before engaging the market.

[B]4. Invest in yourself[/B]

If you have already done a course in forex, and you are still unsure exactly what needs to be done to become successful in this game, then maybe consider revising it or even doing another one. Sometimes you don’t get all the answers you seek from just one mind or one point of view.

I personally have sat through 4 full length courses, with 4 different coaches. Some of the information overlapped, but a lot of it was very new. The last one I did brought everything together for me. Get as much information as you can from as many different sources as possible! No coach or training institution is the be all and end all of trading forex. If they claim to be…. Think about moving on!

Well guys and girls, I hope I have given you some ideas on how to speed up the learning process in forex. Remember trading is not a skill, but a discipline. So work on developing mind-set as well as your skill set.

Good luck with your trading

Ben McInerney

ps. I’d love to hear everyone’s thoughts on the above 

Great thread guys. nice information.
I just want to add something suggestion. I think that make a lot of practices in demo or live account is best way. With those practices you will find out your own style and strategy. But you also leaning from forums and ebook about trade in forex.
Or you can practice in demo contest, if in demo contest you will get real money and you can use it for real trade.

i would say a small live account. demo is no good unless your trying to figure out how the platform works as there is no emotion there in a demo account.

Hi Ben,

What courses have you tried and which ones would you recommend? I’m a newbie and am looking for a good online course. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Vlad Coleman

IMHO there are profitable traders on both spectrum (scalpers and non-scalpers).

Scalpers use small time frame, multiple entry a day, big lots and gunning for small pips.
Non-intraday use bigger time frame, one entry a day (or a lil’ bit more), small lots and gunning for big pips.

The fastest way to trading success is learn from both and combine the goods…

entry on small TF (based on big TF movement), one or multiple entries a day, medium lots and medium pips.

Observe the chart, don’t do back test unless you want to build EA. Use forward testing instead (demo account or just use cent account because many brokers these days have that type of account). It’s important to use live account for forward testing so you know how the market really feels.

When you have enough experience on how the market feels and how the trading strategy fare you can go in with a bigger deposit to really kick off your trading career.

Learn a lot from other traders… learning is a never ending process in this business.