Difference between Buy Stop, Buy Limit, Sell Stop and Sell Limit?

Hello pipadicts,
I recently started and I was just playing a bit with my demo account to see what is like. But I came to some doubts when, placing trades, I thought to ask.

So this is what happend to me this mornig, literally 30 mins ago…
I was looking at the GBP/USD chart, and I could clearly observe that today there was uncertainty(sideways movement), but the general trend looking at a bit bigger picture(1 month) suggested a bearish trend.

I decided to place a “go short” order for 100GBP that looked like this:
Stop loss at --------> 1.60920
Entry at------------> 1.60890
Take profit at-------> 1.60860

In my MT4 demo account I selected the option Pending Order -> “Sell Stop”…
Not long after I placed the trade, I was happy because the price which was somewhere around 1.60940, started to fall strongly, until it reached the entry point… At the exact moment, the price hit the entry point, the entry line, the stop and the trarget line dissapeared from my graph(I thought this was normal)… I kept looking at the chart for 5 minutes, very happy until the price arrived to the target, but my surprise was when my account balance didn’t change(I should’a be at least 300GBP in profit after this trade :frowning: )…

I am really confused, and after a bit, I noticed in my trade history, that it says: “Cancelled, limits or margin”.
I don’t understand at all. I think it was not a margin call, because my demo account has 1000GBP, also I didn’t hit the stop loss after entering the trade, because that would mean that I would have -300£, which is not the case. Then, what really happend? Can somebody explain me?

I don’t know if this has to do with how “Buy Stop”, “Buy Limit”, “Sell Stop” and “Sell Limit” work. I don’t really understand what is the difference between Limit-Stop. I am not sure what I did wrong?

D

sounds like a platform error, you are lucky to be on demo

as for the rest, if i understood correctly:

[B]limit [/B]as a second word in an order generally means to trade at a [B]better[/B] price than the current one
[B]stop[/B] as a second word in an order generally means to trade at a [B]worst[/B] price than the current one

both used [B]only for pending orders[/B]

easy to remember?

cheers