Higher highs, higher lows, lower highs..etc.... Can anyone explain?

Hi all,
Am in the middle school section reading about the wedges formation. But they re going on about the higher highs, lower lows etc… I really can’ t get the meaning and can’t get the explanation anywhere. What is a higher high? Is is the higher part of the candle stick shadow? Would be great if someone could explain it to me or redirect me on a link where it is well explained. In school of pipsology it does not explain it, or maybe I be missed the section.
Thank you all for your help.
Nick

2 Likes

Ok so this is probably not that well drawn but bear with me. When the market makes a new high, i.e. you can see a peak.
That high is either higher or lower than the last. If the high is higher you have a higher high (HH) if its lower you have a lower high(LH). There are 4 combos

HH - Higher high
LH - Lower High
LL - Lower Low
HL - Higher Low

In meta trader you can use the zigzag indicator to help pick out proper highs/lows. the rest is just looking at the current high/low position relative to the last.

3 Likes

Should you just apply it to the candles you see in the screen /window? I mean, it depends on how close you have zoomed in or how far you have zoomed out. I mean at some zoom levels you may see 3 months of data with a 1D chart and at another zoom level, still 1D you may just see 1 month. Does it makes sense? There will definitely be some different HH, HL, LH or LL. Or have I completely missed something?

Hi kongdaff

You’re right. Everything is depend on which time frame you look at. On the other hand when you have more experience you’ll see the chart a kind of way while others see it in other ways. And this is normal. The main important thing is to learn and to experience a way how the chart gives you useful information.

It can happen that these highs and lows shows different pictures on D1 compared to H4 or H1.

I zoom in so close just to see the colors of the chart. Then I start analyzing the market on D1 first. I look at the highs and lows whether they increase/decrease or whether they’re confused. Then I check the chart on H4 and H1 too. I look at the same things as I’ve written earlier and I can decide whether there is uptrend or downtrend or it’s better not to trade.

If you think you can follow my technical analyses here: 301 Moved Permanently and 301 Moved Permanently. They may help. I usually write about highs and lows.

1 Like