HUCKDATE: Giving EUR/USD Another Shot

Trade Idea: 2012-5-23 23:53

I’m giving EUR/USD another shot today. But hopefully, unlike my trade idea last week, I won’t miss the move with this day trade setup.

On the 15-minute chart, we see that the pair is just consolidating between 1.2600 and 1.2550. In fact, you can even say that there is a bearish pennant in the making. I learned from the awesome School of Pipsology that this chart pattern usually signals that the pair is about to breakout lower so I will wait for price to pierce through the support at the rising trend line.

I think selling around 1.2550 and aiming for the 1.2500 handle with a 50-pip stop is a good idea. But as usual, I won’t pull the trigger nor will I set an order until I see the fundamentals align with my trade idea.

Since this is a day trade, I’m mostly concerned with the economic reports coming out rather than the entire macroeconomic picture. Specifically, I’m keeping a close eye on the purchasing managers’ indices that are scheduled to come out later. If those reports fail to meet expectations, I suspect the euro will get sold-off again.

With that said, here’s my game plan:

Short EUR/USD at market when PMIs come in worse than expected, stop loss at 1.2605, profit target yet to be determined. Risk Disclosure.

Cross-posted from my blog, The Loonie Adventures of a Forex Noob

Entered at market and got in at 1.2570 with stop at 1.2605. I’m looking to take profit at 1.2500.

As for my EUR/USD trade, well it stopped out… at breakeven. Whew!

I pulled the trigger as soon as I found out that the French PMIs came in worse than expected. However, it wasn’t until after the German PMIs were reported that EUR/USD closed below the bearish pennant that I pointed out.

Since it was just a day trade, I figured that I could either take profit or move my stop from 1.2605 to breakeven a little after the reports were released. I chose to just move my stop to breakeven when I saw that my unrealized RR was already over 1:1, thinking that the disappointing figures would be more reason for bears to push the pair lower, possibly all the way down to my profit target at 1.2500.

However, I was wrong. EUR/USD quickly traded back up and stopped me out.

I’m not so bummed out though! I know some of you may disagree, but I still think I deserved the pat on the back that I gave myself for moving my stop to breakeven.

Sell EUR/USD at 1.2570: stopped out at breakeven

There ya go! That’s how my week went down. How did you guys do? Update me!

XOXO,

Huck