HUCKDATE: Thoughts on EUR/USD

Connection went down when I was about to enter my trade! Drats! I jumped in at market instead and sold EUR/USD at 1.0250. Wish me luck!

curious… what happened to your last short?
which charting software are you using?
Thanks Huck!

My HLHB Trend-Catcher System’s performance last week was as action-packed as the Olympics! Although there were no big trends on EUR/USD, it still closed with a 150-pip gain! Well that is adding the last trade from the week prior.

Remember trade number 12 from my HLHB update last week (short at 1.2258)? It closed at 1.2117 when the 50-pip trailing stop got hit and garnered a 141-pip win.

For last week, my system generated 11 trades and finished with a net win of 9 pips. Not bad if you ask me since EUR/USD was pretty volatile.

Here’s a rundown of the trades that materialized:

1. Long at 1.2126. Closed due to new crossover at 1.2111. +15 pips.
  2. Short at 1.2111. Closed due to new crossover at 1.2077. +34 pips.
  3. Invalid long signal since RSI was not above 50.
  4. Invalid short signal since RSI did not cross 50.
  5. Long at 1.2090. Trailing stop hit at 1.2120. +30 pips.
  6. Short at 1.2130. Closed due to new crossover at 1.2156. -26 pips.
  7. Long at 1.2156. Closed due to new crossover at 1.2124. -32 pips.
  8. Short at 1.2124. Trailing stop hit at 1.2167. -43 pips.
  9. Long at 1.2224. Trailing stop hit at 1.2281. +57 pips.
  10. Short at 1.2248.Traling stop hit at 1.2292. -44 pips.
  11. Long at 1.2310. Trailing stop hit at 1.2328. +18 pips.

Total Gain (including last week’s open trade): +150 pips

As for my EUR/USD trade…

Unfortunately, my discretionary trading did not perform as well. I struck out again, bringing my losing streak to three.

This time, it was the result of ECB President Mario Draghi’s pledge. According to him, the central bank would do everything in its power to make sure the euro remains intact. This proved to be extremely beneficial for the euro, as it staged a major rally versus the dollar.

Stopped out at 1.2250: -100 pips / -1.0%

Ah, well… I hope there are better days ahead. My confidence is shot, and I need to come up with a winning trade soon…

XOXO,

Huck

I’ve been wrong a lot lately, so this time I’m gonna play it safe. My account has taken a hit with three straight losses. But hopefully, this time around, I’ll be able to score a win.

My plan is to buy GBP/USD. If you zoom out to the 4-hour timeframe, you’ll actually see the pair making higher lows. A rising trend line also becomes apparent when you connect them. I’m anticipating the pair to find some support at it, around 1.5500.

But I don’t want to get ahead of myself so I won’t pull the trigger until I see reversal candlesticks materialize around the psychological handle. I have the candlestick cheat sheet from the School of Pipsology printed so I know what to look for!

Another reason I’m very cautious on going long is because of the Bank of England (BOE)'s interest rate decision later. It’s widely expected that the central bank will hold rates at 0.50% and hold off on any additional stimulus measures.

If the BOE doesn’t say anything bearish and drops clues that its quantitative easing program is working, the pound could rally. On the other hand, if the central bank shows concern on the economy, the pound could sell-off again. I think anything can happen really!

In any case, if I do decide to buy the pair, I’ll set my stop well below its most recent low at 1.5440. Should price go down to this level, my trade idea would already be invalidated as it would mean that support at the trend line failed. As for my profit target, I’ll be aiming for the resistance area around 1.5720.

To recap, my plan is to:

Buy GBP/USD at 1.5500, SL at 1.5440, PT at 1.5720. Risk 1%. Risk disclosure.

XOXO,

Huck

I use Xtick! See what happened to my trade a few posts up!

Good luck with the trade. The major risk events coming up make this a 50/50 play.

Awesome, awesome week for the HLHB Trend-Catcher! Thanks to the trending EUR/USD, the system was able to bag a net total of 297 pips!

With the number of high profile economic events lined up last week, the pair exhibited a lot of volatility. I thought the HLHB Trend-Catcher would get faked out a lot, but thankfully, the pair made a lot of intraday trends. That, of course, was good for my system.

Here’s a rundown of the trades it took:

1. Invalid signal since RSI was below the 50.0 level the candle prior.
  2. Long at 1.2273. Closed at 1.2259 due to new crossover. -14 pips.
  3. Invalid signal since RSI was already below 50.0 the candle prior.
  4. Long at 1.2283. Closed at 1.2292 due to new crossover. +9 pips.
  5. Short at 1.2292. Closed at 1.2318 due to new crossover. -26 pips.
  6. Long at 1.2318. Closed at 1.2297 due to new crossover. -21 pips.
  7. Short at 1.2297. Closed at 1.2262 due to new crossover. +35 pips.
  8. Long at 1.2262. Closed at 1.2354 when 50-pip trailing stop was hit. +94 pips.
  9. Short at 1.2213. Closed at 1.2184 when 50-pip trailing stop was hit. +29 pips.
  10. Long at 1.2193. Closed when 200-pip target was hit. +200 pips.

Total Gain: +297 pips

Trade Idea: 2012-8-8 23:20

Will you look at that?!? Sexy, ain’t it? EUR/USD, after touching the 61.8% Fibonacci retracement level, formed two dojis. Right after that, a bearish candlestick formed, telling me that the pair could be headed down. To add to my downside bias, there also seems to be a bearish divergence going on as price has been making “lower highs” while the Stochastic has been “higher highs.”

I believe that the fundamentals are also in my favor. Yesterday markets were once again reminded that the European debt crisis is still far from being over. The euro gave up ground to most of its counterparts following rumors that the ECB would hold off purchasing bonds until the German Constitutional Court approves the ESM. On top of that, S&P also lowered its credit rating outlook for Greece from stable to negative.

Sure, the shared currency sometimes rallies when risk appetite is up. But looking at the bigger picture, both fundamentally and technically, I think that markets are still bearish on the euro. That’s just me though!

Because my technical and fundamental analysis have lined up, I’ve decided to sell at market. I’m ultimately aiming for 1.2100, but I’ll be taking part of my position every now and then if the trade goes my way. As for my stop, I’ve placed it 100 pips away, just a couple of pips above the 61.8% Fib.

To recap:

Sell at market (1.2380), PT 1 at 1.2200, PT 2 at 1.2100, SL at 1.2480. Risk disclosure.

There ya go! That’s my trade idea for today. What’s yours?

XOXO,

Huck

Remember the still-open trade that I cited in my last update? It closed with a 47-pip win at 1.2243 when the 50-pip trailing stop got hit.

The HLHB Trend-Catcher system’s gains were only limited last week because there were no big trends that materialized on EUR/USD. But I’m still pretty happy with my system’s performance because the RSI was able to filter a couple of fakeouts. Here’s a quick rundown of the signals that materialized:

1. Invalid signal since RSI did not cross 50.0.
  2. Long at 1.2392. Closed due to new crossover at 1.2388. -4 pips.
  3. Invalid signal since RSI did not cross 50.0.
  4. Invalid signal since RSI did not cross 50.0.
  5. Short at 1.2390. Closed due to new crossover at 1.2424. -34 pips.
  6. Long at 1.2425. Closed due to new crossover at 1.2398. -27 pips.
  7. Short at 1.2398. Trailing stop hit at 1.2377. +21 pips.
  8. Invalid signal since RSI was not above 50.0.
  9. Short at 1.2351. Trailing stop hit at 1.2291. +60 pips.
  10. Long at 1.2314. Closed due to new crossover at 1.2275. -39 pips.

Total (including the trade from the previous week): +24 pips

I’d be lying if I told you that I’m contented with how my HLHB Trend-Catcher is doing though. I mean I’m happy with it, but I think I can tweak it more to make it even better.

I’m thinking about removing the 50-pip trailing stop for weekend trades like what I did last week. I’ll replace it with a regular 50-pip stop if the trade remains open over the weekend.

As I’ve said in my HLHB Q2 2012 review, all weekend trades that materialized during the quarter closed as winners. Also, the open trade that I pointed out in my last update could’ve hit my 200-pip profit target at 1.2396 had there been no trailing stop in place.

What do you think? Please lemme know what your thoughts are by voting in the poll! Thank you!

As for my EUR/USD trade, it’s currently up 89 pips. That may seem a lot, but I also have a wide 100-pip stop.

This means that I need to let it ride the downtrend further so that my reward-to-risk ratio is more than 1:1. I am trading the daily time frame, which means I’ll be holding on to the trade longer than usual.

It looks like the trend line held. Yikes! I’m moving my stop to breakeven to be safe.

HLHB Trend-Catcher

There were a lot of fakeouts last week, but thankfully, the HLHB Trend-Catcher still ended up positive. The gain wasn’t impressive though, as the system only bagged a grand total of 15 pips.

Here are the trades and their corresponding results:

1. Invalid signal since RSI was already below 50.0 before the downward crossover.
  2. Another invalid signal since RSI was over 50.0 before the upward crossover.
  3. Invalid signal since RSI was below 50.0 before the downward crossover.
  4. Long at 1.2296. Closed when 50-pip trailing stop was hit at 1.2225. +71 pips.
  5. Short at 1.2326. Closed due to new crossover at 1.2342. -16 pips.
  6. Long at 1.2342. Closed when 50-pip trailing stop was hit at 1.2337. -5 pips.
  7. Short at 1.2334. Closed due to new crossover at 1.2333. -1 pip.
  8. Long at 1.2333. Closed due to new crossover at 1.2323. -10 pips.
  9. Short at 1.2323. Closed due to new crossover at 1.2334. -11 pips.
  10. Long at 1.2334. Closed due to new crossover at 1.2311. -23 pips.
  11. Short at 1.2311. Closed due to new crossover at 1.2304. +7 pips.
  12. Long at 1.2304. Closed due to new crossover at 1.2283. -21 pips.
  13. Invalid signal since RSI was below 50.0 before the downward crossover.
  14. Long at 1.2325. Closed due to new crossover at 1.2349. +24 pips.
  15. Invalid signal since RSI was already above 50.0.
  16. Another invalid signal since RSI did not cross the 50.0 level.
  17. RSI was above 50.0 during the crossover. Invalid signal.

Total gain: +15 pips

As you can see, there were numerous fakeouts, especially during the middle of the week. What I’ve learned from the months I have been testing the system is that fakeouts are normal. Systems catch them from time to time, but you can’t completely eliminate them. I’m just glad that the system had another positive week.

I believe its about time you opened a thread to get the programming wizards to make this system into an EA…

You could say it was a “so-so” week for the HLHB Trend-Catcher. It came out with a gain at the end of the week, but its win wasn’t spectacular. Here’s the list of trades that the system generated:

1. Invalid signal since RSI was above 50.0 before the crossover candle.
  2. Invalid signal since RSI was below 50.0 before the crossover candle.
  3. Long at 1.2507. Closed at 1.2556 due to new crossover. +49 pips.
  4. Invalid signal since RSI was above 50.0.
  5. Long at 1.2538. Closed at 1.2499 due to new crossover. -39 pips.
  6. Short at 1.2499. Closed at 1.2516 due to new crossover. -17 pips.
  7. Invalid long since RSI was below 50.0.
  8. Invalid signal since RSI did not cross the 50.0 level from above.
  9. Long at 1.2546. Closed at 1.2588. +42 pips.

Total Gain: +42 pips

Am I bummed out that my system hasn’t been raking in a lot of pips? To an extent, yes, but I have to understand that it is the summer. During this time, the market tends to range, which means less trend plays and big moves.

I should even be happy now that my system ISN’T losing. Most trend-following systems normally experience huge drawdowns in times like this.

In my last trade idea, I incorporated the 100 SMA in my discretionary system. Taking a look at the indicator on the daily timeframe of EUR/USD, we see that resistance on the moving average held!

Going into the weekend, I had a bullish bias on the pair because I was anticipating Fed Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke to confirm QE3. Reports say that the central bank head honcho did hint at further easing. However, EUR/USD didn’t rally because of renewed concerns about Spain.

To be honest, I don’t know if I should buy or sell the pair now. Nonetheless, I will still keep close tabs on it. I’ll gauge what the more dominant theme (i.e., the prospect of QE3 vs. the possibility of a Spanish default) will be and make my decision based on market sentiment.

So, there you go! I hope y’all got in on the action on the charts last week.

For those following my HLHB Trend-Catcher, the last signal that materialized (long at 1.2584) is still open!

Do you see that very clear uptrend in EUR/USD’s hourly chart? I think going long ahead of the ECB interest rate decision might be a good idea so I bought the pair at market!

With price testing support, I think I better be quick and jump in before I get left behind. After all, the pair is also exhibiting a bullish divergence, as price has made a “higher low” but Stochastic formed a “lower low.”

On the fundamental side of things, it seems that investors are anticipating a big move from the ECB. I’m anticipating this optimism to last in today’s trading and provide the euro with support, enough for EUR/USD to rally to 1.2600.

I’ll be honest and tell you that I have no idea what to expect when ECB President Draghi announces the central bank’s monetary policy decision. With that said, I promise to close my trade ahead of the event. I don’t want to get burned when volatility surges tomorrow!

But just in case we do see volatility pick up ahead of the rate decision, I placed my stop well below the most recent low at 1.2475. I think that would give my trade enough room to move.

So, here’s my game plan:

Long EUR/USD at market (1.2524), SL at 1.2475, PT 1.2600, 1% risk. Risk disclosure.

What do you think of my trade idea? Hit me up!

*Cross-posted from my blog, The Loonie Adventures of the Forex Noob

hey Huck

Seeing that its dropped down to level 505 - 510 right now. I am wondering what your strategy would be now? Is there any support for a bounce to break even?

cheers for the idea.

I kept it open! I’ll post an update in a bit :slight_smile: