What are "good" EA results?

Hey i dont know too much about results from EAs or autotraders
if anyone can answer these questions that would be greatly appreciated
-Good win % of an EA
-Good expected profit
-Good consecutive wins

I know the obvious answers: “100% win is good” but hey, if there was any robot that had a 100% win would any of us have a day job? so please realistic answers i know the ideals but im looking for what to expect.

ty in advance :slight_smile:

Anything that produces a profit is “good”. With that said, it’s not likely you’ll find any EA that can give you such results.

why not? is there a reason?

Strategies work. Systems don’t. EA’s are controlled systems that use past information to place entries and exits. Highly ineffective to one’s success in the markets.

ahh ok but why do some autotraders work?

If they work and you are aware of the one that works, what’s the point of this thread?

i have a couple of EAs and i was wondering how they compare also yes i currently have one thats averaging 50 pips a week, not much but i dont do anything :stuck_out_tongue: also my friend is an intern with a co. and they are currently working on a autotrader he says currently they are averaging 70 pips a week (demo accounts) he also said they are aiming for 200 pips a week

50 pips a week is plenty.

How long has this EA produced such results?

What’s the risk/reward per position?

tbh im new to fx trading (less then 3 months of live experience) ive been testing mine for about 2 weeks but backtested it averaged 50 pips a week my friends idk how long theyve been testing but much longer then mine

also idk how to find and what exactly you mean by risk/reward per position. if u mean sl/tp i do not know because it has its own money management system but most of my systems are 100/150 so 2/3 (but you also need to factor in the 90% win so the ratio is technicaly 10/135 or 1/13.5)

Backtesting can only show that a EA is able to make trades. Forward testing is the only way to validate results.

working on those now :stuck_out_tongue:

hi, although theres no doubting that trading yourself is best, some EA’s out there, well one i have and then tweaked it, does prove consistant results, excellent risk/reward and amazing P/L ratio’s, but having said that, that most EA’s will work a popular strategy, the EA’s simply manage it for you, but a word of warning.

To make your EA bring home the money, you must manage the trades the EA executes and cancel any that you know will not profit, or close a trade in early profit as theres signs of reversal. All these attributes an EA simply doesn’t understand and will continue until it hits all 20 pipsTP when theres realistally only 12 pips.

i current make around 200 pips clear profit a week with my EA and nearly all trades i manage sat at my desk. the other big issue with EA’s is you’ll need at least 100 pips worth of margin to manage 1 trade, some of my trades can swing up/down 50-75 pips before closing in profit, where as a more human calculated trade can bag you 10 pips in just a few minutes.

Dont dis EA’s, some really do work, but you gotta manage them and still do all the calculations you would do without the EA, plus have at least 500 pips of deposit before trading on a M1 chart.

To clarify you have a 100 pip SL and a 20 pip profit target?

Do you see the flaw in that?

This is my major concern with EAs. Their outrageous money management strategies. They forward test 70% wins, which is good, and then they have Martingale strategies and 1:4 risk/reward ratios. What’s the point?

Hi I worked with Forexmegatrion, and yes sometimes it makes loses most of the time it makes profits. Sometimes there are small profits but when you add them up it really gets your account growing. I also think that with everything you need to keep an eye on what your EA is doing to avoid taking any risk. :slight_smile:

Most EA’s are made by people who don’t actually trade, they are programmers for hire and or they sell products as affiliates or commission based sales.

The FX-Info business has become a very lucrative business and thus increasing the amount of clutter from people who are not traders but want a piece of the pie.

When dealing with EA’s look for products that come from the trenches in other words from real modern day trading.

But it is a very confusing world, I don’t think EA’s is a the be all end all of trading, but at the same token they are not garbage for newbies either, they are definitely here to stay, but as any new products in any market place, they have a cocoon period for refinement.

I agree with mastergunner99 most bot’s core failure is to trade from the past.
Like master trader Joe Ross says trade what you see.

When the net was going nuts about Ivy Bot we decided to do a little mano a mano competition between the bots

So far Hybrid-bot is earning from 900-1800 pips per week, I know that is a huge gap but we are running several accounts with different approaches hence the name Hybrid-bot and I am averaging the accounts.

Here is a snapshot of the 2 since the last Ivy’s update.
09-14-2009 - 09-17-09 in PIPS
IvyBOT: 218
Hybrid-BOT: 990

Too many pips you say?
yup I would have reacted the same way but that’s the truth what do you want me to do about it?

If you are just getting started I agree with most here, trade demo, master the techniques, learn from this forum, and most of all master your emotions, and you will be way ahead of the game.

Till than happy trading,

Backtest of the EA Im using.
01/01/2000 - Present
Initial Deposit: $100

Forward testing this EA for about a week now, good results so far, will post soon with data when more time/trades have gone by.

:slight_smile:

Hi,

I think it is not necessary to manage the trades. The whole point in EA is that you don’t have to do any analyzing or so. Your job is to do one of the two:

1. Either you research to find robots that make steady total profits, and let them do their job without interfering.
  2. Or you analyze the market conditions in which each robot generate profits, and then combine a set of robots to use according to the general market condition (general- you don’t need to do complicated analysis, just get the rough picture).

In both cases positions management is unnecessary!

your telling me youve made 4.7m off your largest trade? either u meant all that as a joke or you invented currency trading those are incredible results and i dont take that seriously at all, tho if that somehow is real congrats lol

MG, I agree. I only do forward testing, with my cooltrade auto-traders.
What I like about my traders is that once I am done forward testing and they are making money in the live simulator, all I have to do is flip the switch for live trading, and the EXACT same rules get applied. It does exactly the same when I start trading with real money as it did in the simulators.