DO EA's Work?

What’s possible inside an EA is only limited to the skill of the programmer and the knowledge of the developer. What you’ll see as a common theme is that we don’t use commercial EA’s. We write our own. And then develop re-write and use, develop etc. Just as a trader must evolve and change to market conditions so to our EA’s. A skill definitely worth mastering.

Many thanks for your reasonable hints. I was doubting whether to buy advisor or not, and now I seem to have found the answer.

The secret is in the name, they are expert [B][U]advisors[/U][/B]. You’re the expert [B][U]trader[/U][/B].

Best of luck all.

Is it possible that someone in the commercial world may have developed an EA or a script that analyzes and interrogates historical data of various forex market conditions? I suppose if that was the case I’m pretty sure that no one else would know about it. I guess I’ve just answered my own question.

Personally, I have not yet seen an EA that works consistently except for one which ironically the programmer will not take in some of my suggestions to make improvements to what it can only do.

Commercial EAs, free EAs, complex or simple I have not seen but 1 or 2 that I would trade on a live account.

The one EA that has been the most successful for me is a NON-martingale Hedging Grid Trading EA. As opposed to the view of grid EAs should not be ran on trending markets, this handles both trend and range beautifully on the GBPJPY.

Pending trades open 30 pips apart 25 up and 25 down with a take profit of £5. From a demo perspective as I have not placed this live yet, I am soon to finish a backtest on tick mode for the year of 2015 that will show me I could have doubled a small £500 account trading only 0.01 lots. It has large DD but it is a non-losing EA. There are risks, but they are very low due to the high volatility of the GBPJPY pair. Will I trade it live on my account soon? I’m still not sure.

Over 10 years of trading on and off manually, I have looked at EAs and have not seen anything that would give me the confidence to trade on a live account. I am still of the opinion that there is something out there that works efficiently to the point that I am confident to use an EA live.

If someone who is trading with an EA on a live account that is profitable doing it and is generous enough to share their EA with me, please PM me. I don’t want to give you a sob story but you would be helping someone in a dire financial situation who is struggling to keep his house.

Many Thanks & Best Regards,

Daniel

1 Like

How has the testing been going?

Check out my live EA trade journal
http://forums.babypips.com/trade-journals/79482-spideys-ea-diary.html

Parabolic work under any conditions in the market.

EAs are work! I have made 10000 demo dollars with EA!

Instead of buying some EAs out there, I’d prefer to invest my money on EA builder or EA generator, where you can create your own unique EA, and test it ASAP.

This kind of tools is really a time and money saver in my opinion.

Because the important thing is the strategy behind the EA, not the EA itself.

1 Like

Cant go wrong with fully automated sustainable returns :slight_smile:

5 Likes

When buying an EA – checking that it is verified on a REAL account with a track record over a significant period of time is imperative…

5 Likes

You definitely can’t argue with solid verified stats! Great returns

3 Likes

that just reeks of manipulated stats to me, seen it countless times with unsustainably low drawdown and unrealistic profit

4 Likes

Hi Samuel,

Great stats there over a long period, fully verified and live, cannot argue with that!

4 Likes

MT4 strategy tester lets you do most of this, you can build up a good idea on back testing the data, and stress testing it in any time frame. In my opinion its only about 80% useful, it does not allow for slippage testing, nor does it allow for spread spikes in volatile scenarios so its always best to test forward and optimise with time.

2 Likes

Also, to add to Sam’s point make sure the data used when backtesting is accurate and always forward (live) test on a demo / small live before using the EA on your main account… As backtested data can be manipulated. When I first started out I was backtesting an EA a friend sent me an EA that had amazing backtesting results but as soon as he took it live it just constantly lost trades…

4 Likes

EA’s can definitely be useful as long as they are sufficiently backtested and you are happy with the mechanics

2 Likes

Agree 100%

Do EA’s work…? Yes and No… I code my own EA’s (cBot’s) and Indicators for the Ctrader Platform.

Backtesting while an issue, is not as big as it seems… Why backtest an EA with data from 3 years ago… the market was different from today… it was behaving differently 6 months ago… 3 months ago…

When you visually backtest an EA (a new feature available in Ctrader 3.3) you can physically see the price action algorithm switching from positive to negative… generating a profit for a number of hours only for price behaviour to switch and attempt to take it all back… or visa versa… It’s almost comical to watch.

Those that program and backtest their work will know what I’m referring too.

Price action has two main modes… Trending or Ranging… A ranging algorithm will be smashed once a market starts to trend and a trending algo will be smashed in a ranging market…

Fully automated EA’s require code that can profit under both conditions, currently beyond my programming ability… but I do have cBots that can make serious returns in either of the two modes as discussed above, both profit from PA, spikes and negate slippage… effectively using price against itself…

They just need some carbon based intervention (Hybrid EA) when price action flips from one condition to the other…

I’m certain that seriously profitable EA’s have been engineered and are in use… in one form or another.
There is some seriously clever people playing in the forex space…

You will never hear or see them in this forum. It’s as has been said in the past… If you had the perfect money making machine… why would you tell anyone?.. Just keep racking up the profits…

My two cents…

2 Likes