Are $200 laptops released 2015/2016 good enough to run EA's on MT4?

Hi

I’ve been dabbling with manual trading with a live account but I’ve been doing this all with the browser version of MT4 provided by brokers since I don’t have a Windows machine, and I didn’t want to bother installing Wine etc…

Now I want to try getting the real MT4 platform to try out all the stuff missing from the browser version, including the ability to program/use/purchase EA’s.

I was wondering if the $200 laptops of 2015 and 2016 with Atom/Celeron processors and 2GB ram that come with Windows 10 are good enough for manual trading and EA trading?

Laptops I’m referring to are
[B]HP Stream 11
Lenovo Ideapad 100s
Dell Inspiron 3000 (2016)
[/B]
On a related note, with comparable specs, I’m also curious on the performance of MT4 and MT4 with EA using the
[B]Intel Compute Stick 2nd Gen with Windows 10[/B] (2016) (atom based processor)

Any insight from users would be very helpful and appreciated.

Thank you

For backtesting - No

Running an EA live - Yes, depending on how many charts you have an EA running on.

My top spec macbook pro 15 inch retina started to get sluggish when i had tons of charts open with complex EAs on

for normal use, and trading i think it should be fine. (1-5 pairs windows)

If you intend to open more than 5 pairs with backtesting then i think you need a better one

I use an Asus EEEpc 701 (pre atom netbook) with a 2gb memory upgrade and it can handle 3 terminals trading 6 EAs each (18 total) on windows XP. I like it because the battery keeps the computer going should there be a short power outage.

For backtesting more CPU power is obviously better but for running EAs anything that can run windows XP or better will do.

my macbook air is also sluggish for backtesting. i run mt4 via a parallels virtual machine with XP…

An older laptop is not a problem, you just need to deal with the 2 speed bottlenecks for speed - internet connection and hard drive.

Don’t use wifi if you can avoid it, and change out your hard disk for a solid state SSD drive - performance increase is phenomenal.

If you are a little tech savvy you can search amazon or newegg, etc for the SSD and buy a copy of paragon software to copy your existing drive.

VROOOM!!!

Yup “old” think pads are pretty solid choices. Very easy to change parts and strong hardware.