Cannot drag and drop indicator to my chart on MT4?

I’m a complete newbie with MT4.

I want to be able to view 10 minute charts on MT4.

I have googled it and found the name of the indicator which is present in MT4 - but not in the default list (It’s called 'Period_Convertor_Opt.) I retrieved it as there was a list of ‘2083 more’ at the end of the indicator list.

I downloaded it by selecti g it from tn elist of indicators and selecting ‘Download’.
I can now see the indicator as expected it in the navigator screen/ Indicator list.

I then try to drag and drop onto my chart - but nothing happens.
If I double clock on the indicator nothing happens either.

I expect to get a custom indicator configuration window (which has a number of tick boxes such as ‘Allow DLL imports’, allows me to select what timeframes the indicator appears, colours of indicator etc.). I need to edit some of these properties.

Can anyone help me please?

NOTE: When I open the Data folder in MT4 and go to MQL4 -> INDICATORS I can see a new ;DOWNLOAD; folder which contains my indicator (Both the EX4 file and the MQL4 file)

Try to compile your mq4 file in the meta editor? There may be errors. Many of the older indicators don’t compile for the newer mt4. jusrt hit F4 the file open your indi’s mq4 file and compile. If there are no errors it may not be an indi but an EA.

Hi

I just followed your instructions and after compilation it showed no errors. (I still cannot drag indicator onto chart)

It is definitely an indicator though. I googled it looking specifically for indicators - and it was in the ‘Indicator’ section.

Basically it is supposed o9 display the chart in another time difference (10 mins in my case)

Can you either post the indicator or a link to the indicator? I can see if it works or doesn’t work on my systems.

Also, why do you need a 10 minute chart? What advantage do you think that will give you?

Hi Steve

That’s a great idea.

If you could do that as a test that would be great. Instead of pasting the indicator here I will instead describe to you the exact steps I took. If you could try to replicate it that way.

Its just a 5 second task.

1. Go to the ‘Indicators’ tree in your navigator window on MT4
  2. At the end of the list of indicators there should be something like ‘2043 more’ (At least that’s the number on mine)
  3. Click on this, sort the result set alphabetically and scroll down to the indicator ‘[B]Period_Convertor_Opt[/B]’
  4. Right click and select ‘Download’
  5. When you refresh your ‘Indicator’ list in the navigation window there should now be a sub-folder present called ‘Download’ which contains the indicator.

I should be able to drag this onto my chart like any indicator - except nothing happens !

Thee reason I want a 10 minute chart is because, by chance for no particular reason, I started backtesting and evolved my strategy on a 10 minute chart which my broker has.
Now that I have coded my EA I want to run it on the 10 minute chart as I know the exact results in that timeframe.

Duck,

I found one that does work. See:

https://www.fxdayjob.com/custom-time-frames-for-metatrader-4

Follow the directions carefully. The one instruction they missed was when you add the indicator to your chart you will need to check the box for “Allow DLL Imports” on the COMMON tab. That made it work for me.

On the web page he walks through setting up a 10 minute time frame chart.

The other thing you must do is to keep the 5 minute chart open, because the 10 minute chart needs that open.

Let me know if you EA is profitable.

Best Regards

Steve

That’s great. It now works.
Thanks so much for putting the time and effort in.

Ill let yjou know how the EA goes.