Which platform to use to start with programming a trading robot?

Dear all,

I have a question concerning which platform to choose for the first steps in algorithmic trading. Speaking for myself I have no professional programming background although I have had programming courses during my studies and in school of course. That means I can follow some simple code and understand roughly what it does. I think describing me as an experienced beginner could fit quite well :slight_smile:

Now here is my question:
Which programming platform do you recommend to start with? What are your experiences? Should I start with MQL4 or MQL5 or is maybe cTrader or NinjaTrader a better option?

Thanks a lot for your feedback!

I do not know much about cTrader or NinjaTrader… and I believe the general population uses MT4. If you google MT4 documents you should find a nice site . I think it is called code base. . and it will teach you, if you desire how to code.
You can start with “hello world” and work your way from there.

Personally, I [I]strongly[/I] recommend [U]avoiding[/U] MetaTrader. I suspect that this is actually one of the more important decisions that one makes, when “starting out”.

This may help: [B]301 Moved Permanently

(Edited to add: for myself, I never had any desire - either when I started out or at any subsequent point, including now - to learn how to code anything at all. My perspective - an idiosyncratic one though it may be - is that people with coding skills are working for people with trading skills, and there are reasons for that.)

Sorry lexys, humbly beg to differ…that thread is thick on innuendo and light on facts. Major gripe about MACD not having a signal line:rolleyes:…please, if someone cannot find an indicator with a signal line, I would suggest the problem does not lie with MT4.

I find MT4 simple and easy to use. Some minor bugs here and there but I cannot see it being an issue if you pay attention.

Comments about professionals not using it…I would argue that most of us here are not professional traders anyway. I do not need multi screen undockable windows or some of the fancy tools that come with other platforms.

I need a simple platform and a programming language that I understand. MQL4 does that for me. As for your comment about coders working for traders…maybe, however, I have have never worked for any trader, and never will. But I assure you that they are constantly knocking on my door.

One issue is that given the white-label nature, it does, regrettably, allow just about any fly-by-night to set up a brokerage. Of course some due diligence should fix that quite easily when you looking for a broker.

I am sure there are better products out there but until I have to worry about managing a million dollar fund, MT4 will do just fine.