Newbie question about timeframes

Hi there

I’m trading an EA on the 1 min time frame. Sometimes I occasionally like to look at a higher time frame to check it out. If I place the EA on the 1 minute chart and then switch to the 1 hour to have a look - is the EA still trading on the 1 minute or is it trading on the 1 hour time frame…???

Thanks a million

Kylie

I am no expert on EAs but I am pretty sure that would depend on how your EA was created. Most have settings that would have the answer you seek.

Hi Kylie :slight_smile:
Like bob suggested you should check the settings of the EA. If you cannot find anything there you better contact the developer.
However if you don’t want to waste time until you know for sure how it works you can simple open separate chart of the same instrument, which to use to take a look at the bigger picture.
Cheers.

Most EA’s would be affected by this, don’t do it!!! Open a new chart as eyedfondue says

Kylie,

As the guys here have indicated, better not to do it. There are EA’s out there that are timeframe agnostic(don’t care which TF), but unless you know this specifically leave the timeframe alone.

At best nothing will happen, at worst, the change in TF will trigger the trade logic and either close or open trades. As an example, if it uses simple overbought/oversold indicator as an open/close trigger, you will find a symbol overbought on M1 but may well be oversold on H1. I am sure you can see how this would cause conflict for the EA and it will respond accordingly.