Babypipsjbentz - SAR EA

Hi everyone, before i continue this strategy and EA has been created by [B]babypipsjbentz [/B]who is a member here on babypips and NOT by me.

I have created this thread with his blessing so we can discuss this strategy / EA in this thread rather than polluting and taking over other peoples threads on other subjects.

Right on with the show.

Below is a visual of the standard SAR and you buy and sell when the SAR begins on the H1 chart.

Ok SAR EA’s v1 ADX and v2:

SAR v1 ADX:
SAR v3:

Both are being currently tested at the moment so were see how we go at the end of the week

I have tested this EA on the 5min chart and there are too many failures. But the higher up the timeframe we go the fewer failures we get, from what i can the H1 chart is a good place to start and if we go higher we could trade on those timeframes also if you are patient.

Myfxbook links for test accounts:

v1 ADX only:
https://www.myfxbook.com/portfolio/sar-ea-v1-adx/416538

Contains EA’s from v1, v1 ADX and currently running v2:Error | Myfxbook

v3 only:
https://www.myfxbook.com/portfolio/sar-ea-v3/417067

If the EA gets updated i will update the EA on the account above.

Now this is early days so everyone please can you give your feedback so we can improve the EA.

Thanks

I have backtested this EA from juni - october this year and it doesnt gave profits only loss. So what i think is first we need to become a backtest as good as possible with profit than we can move to a forward test.

Are you using 90% modelling data for the back test?

Also the thing to consider is if the H1 chart does not produce enough profit we can simply go up to the H4 chart and the price different between each sar dot should increase profit.

The pattern i see is the higher the timeframe we go the less fake trades we get. Im sure people have lots of ideas which might be able to help improve profibilitlity, but so far i have 4 trades open on EURUSD, GBPUSD, AUDUSD and USDCAD and total profit is at 10 pips at the moment (all 4 trades in profit). Now this is with the trades being open for an hour and i have not caught the beginning of any of the trades so this shall be an interesting test for today.

I’ll post later when they are closed by the EA as to what the profit or loss was for them.

Here is my backtest for H1 EURUSD, Jan 2012 to Oct 23, using $500 test account and equivalent to 0.5 lots (my nano account, lot size is divided by 100,000 so I have to put 5000 lots).

SAR_v1 has not options for risk, tp/sl etc. It’s a simple and pure SAR ea. v2 is when everyone was asking for tp/trailing stop/stoploss… none of which helped the results. Not sure lovac24 why you get bad results.

SAR_ea_v1.zip (1.48 KB)

SAR_v1_backtest.zip (25.6 KB)

Is there a way to build a position size algo into this? Something like… risk a certain % of the current account value?

Very nice system… I have one question though, I used the same settings and timeframe for my back test as you did, but you had +100 more trades then I did. any ideas?

SAR ea v1.zip (17.6 KB)

I looked at your results, and note that the dates of testing were: 1 Hour (H1) 2012.03.15 09:00 - 2012.10.23 23:03 (2012.01.01 - 2012.10.24)

So, your tester apparently only had data back to March, instead of January. If you download the data from the history center you will probably get more trades on backtest.

Also, don’t forget to include the .gif file of the same name as the saved backtest file to show the graph.

Hi James just one observation, the EA works great, only thing that might be a problem, and i do stress might. In the screenshot below you can see a trade which is a sell which entered quite low down the SAR dots.

The only reason this happened was that this was when i started using the EA, my only concern is that if we have to restarted MT4 or when we start trading on monday is if we enter late down the SAR and end up with a loss.

Just a suggestion but would it be a good idea to make the EA wait until the start of the next SAR in the opposite direction of the current one to help avoid us entering the trade late ?

No problem. My first version had that, but I took it out because, with the filters we were adding, if the trade didn’t hit on the very first SAR reverse, it got missed altogether. This way, no matter if a filter makes a trade wait one or two SAR dots, the trade still gets entered.

However, if we’re just going to stick with the simple one with no filters, I will put back in the code that limits a trade with one SAR dot above the bid and one below (i.e. whenever the direction changes).

In fact, the version ea_v1 I attached above is this way. If you’re not using filters, just download and use version1 above. Should solve the problem.

Have you tried it on other pairs with similar results?

Thanks.

Nido,
For me, this works only on EURUSD 1Hour chart.

Hi everyone we have made some progress with the traditional SAR EA, we have added ADX into the mix and on back testing has improved our profits by about 20%.

Please find the EA and backtesting results below. Enjoy

SAR_ADX_ea_v1.zip (1.55 KB)
SAR_v1_ADX.zip (21 KB)

Do we really need to add the ADX?

So far Babypipsjbentz is averaging 279% on the year just using the SAR details he provided and the ADX backtest only shows a gain of 222%

Actually, the plain SAR made more profit on backtest, with more trades, but lower profit factor.
so depends on how you want to work it.

that’s backtest. But in forward testing, I am still waiting for those profits. The trades seem mostly to be into profit, the reteats to 0 or negative.

Thinking maybe in live forward, the ADX could prevent some of that. Not sure.

Need more forward testing to see what to do.

I agree.

Still looking at your Backtest… I get the below

Pip value = $.50
Avg Loss = $11.15 or -22 pips
Avg Win = $24.37 or 48 pips
Winning ratio = 39.09%

What if we test having a fixed stop at -25 pips or $-12.5… to stop the bleeding on losses… Which would = 2.5% per trade for a $500 account…. Just running those numbers that would have given us a profit of $1949 or 389%

We could also play around with moving the SL to BE after the trade goes so far in our favor maybe… half are avg win(24pips)?

Just opened a Buy with a -25 pip stop… I’ll post updates

in the other thread this came from there’s are alrady a v2 that has all the options you could want and none perform better.
For one thing, there really no “bleeding” stoplosses in it. A lot of little ones in congestion areas is the issue, but if screen out the congestion, you miss the beginning of the long runs.

You’re welcome to mess around with the other one, but you’ll come back to this one.

SAR_ea_v3.zip (3.68 KB)

I have updated the EA’s and myfxbook link’s please checkout the first post for these.