I have been with FXCM for 7 months now and use them for the following reasons:
1. NDD. They dont trade against you like market makers do.
2. New York close.
3. I like their marketscope trading platform.
4. Live trading desk. You can ask their analysts any question you like and they answer you real time. This is real cool.
5. Heavily regulated and your money is guaranteed with them up to 70k so if the company tanks your deposit is insured.
6. RDP server included with a minimum deposit. Nice feature but I stopped using it for lag reasons.
I would never sign up with a market maker no matter how good they sound. With straight through processing, its in the companies best interest for you to be a successful trader as the longer you trade the more money they make in commission.