Going offshore to escape the CFTC

Some more good news (I assume?) for US traders - the National Futures Association (NFA), the self-regulatory organization overseeing the activities of the US forex brokers, said its new rules on disclosure of transaction data have been approved by the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) and will come into effect as of March 31, 2017. These rules will enable US retail traders to gain access to transaction data such as execution date and time, commissions, etc. and to review the quality of execution. After that date the Forex brokers regulated in the US will be required to inform their customers of their ability to request this information.

…and one more article, I think, relevant to this forum. This is from Finance Magnates, speculating about how President Trump might affect FX.

How Will President Trump Affect FX? | Finance Magnates

Here is one interesting bit from the article:
“The majority of non-US brokers that do not accept US clients is not because of Dodd-Frank, it’s because of FATCA compliance. The IRS has demanded that any entity that accepts a US account holder must either comply with FATCA or risk fines, penalties, or worse. For this reason, many have chosen to simply not accept US citizens, in order to not deal with this compliance. If FATCA rules are reformed significantly, this can change foreign institutions attitude toward US Citizen clients.”

So, this author anyway thinks FATCA is an even bigger problem for offshore traders than Dodd-Frank.

Does anyone here know why Spotware (Ctrader) is restricted from use by US residents? The platform looked very promising, but I was recently notified by an offshore broker that I couldn’t renew my Ctrader demo account because I’m in the U.S.

Google yielded no answers, just speculation. The Spotware website had the question posted last October, with no answer from a company representative.

I can’t begin to imagine why any trading platform provider would have this policy?

Thanks in advance.

Hi
Do you know what FXCHoice is using because everytime the news comes out their servers freeze for few seconds sometimes minutes. It happends everytime, their spreads never widen but the freezes are annoying, it messes up my EA.

I never have seen broker doing this before.

Marcin

Hi,

(not an advertisement)

I have a Miami-based dedicated Linux server 8 processor threads,
16 gigs ram and pay $125/month. This does include an onsite
cumulative backup provided by ServerPronto.com so that I can get
back up within an hour or so in case of catastrophic loss.

This server is 110 millisecond ping times to Amsterdam, where the
backends for Tradersway and FinProTrading are located. One goal
is to get as close as possible, and this is the solution for us.

So I found an exceptional deal on a VPS for between $22 and $32
monthly. The $32 variant is Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard, with
4 Xeon Cores (pinned through KVM fixed assignment) running with
8 gigs ram. Because of the “pinning” of these cores on the VPS it’s
somewhere between a “cheap VPS” and a dedicated system, in the
sense that those CPU cores are dedicated.

The provider is Cheap Offshore Vps Hosting 1Gbps Linux and Windows

MetaTrader 4 journal reports less than 1 millisecond latency to the
servers we’re using ! Our software runs a “pool” of these terminals,
so we’re able to capture more market data, as well as turn around
Orders much faster, important for scalpers.

So I’m saying that this is incredibly good performance and stability for
$32/month. They also offer 3 Cores, 6 gigs ram for $22/month, which
is an incredibly good deal. Interactive connection via Windows
RDP. (Yes, in many ways, I prefer Linux, but I was looking for a
straightforward solution for my clients, and that means Windows.)

This is good ticket-based support, and they are very responsive. The only
DOWNSIDE here is that they do not offer any file backup support, which is
not so much of a problem for us, but if you have a database intensive
application, then you’d need to have a solid BACKUP plan to implement
yourself, in a fully self-managed fashion.

hyperscalper

Just to give an update on my previous posts (I waited a while as I wanted to have full confidence in the broker).

I’ve traded with LQDFX with a larger account for the last two months and noted:

-I can only deposit via Wire Transfer (and they need a passport) which isn’t an issue at all for me but may pose an issue with others.
-Withdrawals are processed within 24 hours. I usually receive the funds following business day after my withdrawal is processed by them.
-Spreads are incredibly tight compared to most brokers I know.
-Execution is fantastic for me (I must admit I don’t trade at news times, so wouldn’t know too much about that)
-Their live chat is excellent for any queries I may have
-I also tested a PAMM account with them that is working great

All in all I’m very pleased with them and they have surpassed my expectations. Keep up the good work lqdfx!

Thanks for the update, Lewis.

I will add a link to your post #3920 in the [B]LQDFX[/B] listing in post #7.

We need this sort of feedback on [I]all[/I] of our listed brokers, from thread members [I]who trade live with them.[/I]

To start off the new year, I’m asking for [I]current, updated reviews[/I] of any, or all, of our Group 1 brokers, from actual clients who trade live accounts with them.

Only by continually reviewing each broker’s performance can we be confident about keeping them on our List – or considering them for [I]Trusted Broker[/I] status.

Speaking of Trusted Broker status —

• A number of comments and reviews – all positive – of [B]Finpro Trading[/B] (UK) have been posted over the past 10 months. Let’s have a discussion on whether to designate Finpro Trading as a Trusted Broker.

• Also, in May 2016, we tabled the question of designating [B]LMFX[/B] (Macedonia) as a Trusted Broker. I’d like to re-open that question, and hear current opinions on LMFX.

Our List is comprised of 12 brokers, all of them [I]good,[/I] with two of them designated as [I]Trusted Brokers.[/I]

I think we can find a few more good brokers for our List – and I think there are several already on our List that should be considered for Trusted Broker status.

Our thread has been loafing along, sort of fat and happy, for several months.

It’s time to kick it up a notch.

Your thoughts on all of this?

I have been trading with [B]Traders Way[/B] for the past year now and have absolutely no complaints. Withdraws are done quickly and any questions and/or concerns I have had (which have been few and minor) are always handled promptly by customer service. I sure hope they don’t go away or change anytime soon!

Thanks, J

[B]Trader’s Way[/B] (Dominica) has definitely established a top-notch reputation on this thread.

At the next update of the List, I will add a link to your post in the Trader’s Way listing in post #7.

FinProTrading (aka TurnkeyFX) gets a high rating from me as it
seems to have a more “direct” connection to its liquidity providers
with a really “aggressive” tick feed. FinProTrading FX feeds deliver
3x-5x the tick rates of Tradersway, for example. On the other hand,
although average spreads are comparable, sometimes FinPro has
wider spreads than Tradersway, and is more “expressive” of
Market participants’ moods. Often you’ll see a huge difference
between the activity of the BID line, versus the ASK line in the
MT4 tick chart. I think it’s actually possible to determine Market
direction short term, based upon what can be seen. (speculation)

I use both Tradersway and FinProTrading, and have never had any
problems with either one. However, I’ve used very small sizes since
we’re still in the final testing phases of software; and look forward
to using much larger multi-position lot sizes. Just the past couple
of weeks, we leased a 4-core/8gb Xeon based KVM VPS $32/month and are
seeing <1 millisecond from both these brokers’ servers.

Very occasionally we’ll get “off quotes” rejections from FinProTrading,
since its pricing is so much faster. So we have a retry loop, when
that happens, which is rare.

Our software simultaneously manages multi-positions across all
28 of the dominant pairs, and FinProTrading will really push the software
to keep up. We use the NJ4X.com framework, with a BulkTickListener
and often struggle to keep up with all 28 pairs at FinProTrading. With
Tradersway, it’s a much more manageable price tick stream.

Executions are as fast and reliable as you’re going to get with this type of brokerage
geared toward the low to medium retail space, cost-effective, and friendly
to U.S. participants.

hyperscalper

Hyperscalper, thanks for these comments, and for your frequent participation in this thread.

Your live trading experience with [B]Trader’s Way[/B] and [B]Finpro Trading[/B] has encouraged several other participants in this thread to choose one (or both) of these brokers for their own offshore trading.

But, as most traders here are aware, the intense sort of trading which you do, and the heavy traffic you generate for your broker(s), [I]happens on a whole different level[/I] from the type of trading most of our thread participants are doing. And I would venture to say that many of them don’t even understand the technical issues you have discussed in your posts.

Nevertheless, there seems to be a consensus here on this thread that: [I]If these two brokers are highly rated by Hyperscalper, then they should be good choices for the rest of us, as well.[/I]

Now, I’d like to hear some comments from other thread participants who trade live accounts with (1) these brokers, (2) with any other broker in Group 1 of our List, or (3) with [I]any other offshore broker anywhere[/I] who accepts U.S. clients.

Trader’s Way has already earned our highest rating — Trusted Broker.

If other clients of Finpro Trading share Hyperscalper’s opinion of their overall performance and reliability, then we should definitely consider Finpro Trading for the Trusted Broker designation.

And there are other worthy candidates for that designation. [B]LMFX[/B] is waiting for our decision, to mention just one.

Lastly, a month ago, I asked for opinions on keeping [B]Real Trade[/B] (BVI) on our List.

I posted this request:

There have been no responses to this request, so I’m asking again:

Should we keep them, or boot them?

Hi,

For MetaTrader 4 standard Brokerage accounts, which
should be designated as STP or ECN type (professional
quality) accounts… I volunteer on a limited basis…

Because my software is layered on the NJ4X.com framework,
(no advertisement, but highly recommended) I can connect
to any standard MT4 brokerage easily.

If someone wants to give me (temporary) login credentials for an EMPTY
or very small Equity Live MT4 STP/ECN account, I will gladly do a good
faith basic evaluation of the Quality of the data feed for Forex only with
that Broker, and post results.

This mainly would include Bid/Ask Spread Analysis and typical
Tick rates per symbol.

Things like Order Processing times would need to be by special
arrangement, since that might involve a limited amount of
equity money. Order Placement and cancellation times could be
evaluated without execution of any orders… so no money would
be spent.

YOU WOULD CHANGE PASSWORDS WHEN MY TESTS ARE FINISHED.

I WILL NOT TEST ANY DEMO ACCOUNTS. …nor would I take
responsibility for any SNAFU’s :wink: Just trying to lend a
hand on a limited basis…

hyperscalper

Hi MarcinFX,

Could you please go into more detail and provide concrete examples of these “freezes” you talk about. You say they especially happen around news events?

We can assure you that we DO NOT intentionally freeze our servers for any reasons at all. If we did, our clients would, en masse, run for the hills as the old saying goes. Your comment is a little difficult for us to fathom.

Again, we would be greatly appreciative if you could substantiate your claims with evidence. Also your account number would be handy so we can investigate properly at our end.

FX Choice

Hi

This happens on FX Choice demo and live accounts and also on my friend’s account. You can just run a demo account and watch MT4 when the market has a lot of activity such as after news. The charts on the FX Choice MetaTrader application will all freeze for 5 - 30 seconds at various times when the market is very busy. Other brokers I am using with MT4 do not have this, just wider spreads. Then I found a site that mentions FX Choice implements 5 pip freeze (see this here listed as a Con for FX Choice: https://www.forexbrokerz.com/brokers/fxchoice) so it sounds like FX Choice freezes when the pip spread is > 5. Other brokers are not doing this. This is a problem with EA because EAs run on each tick of the market. If FX Choice is freezing at times of high activity, the EA can’t do anything while on other brokers the EA can determine not to trade or make decisions when the spread widens.

If you want, my friend can create a youtube video showing how FX Choice markets freeze during high activity compared to other brokers. It’s not a specific account problem. You can even replicate this by using a demo FX Choice MT4 ECN account. I also emailed Stephen Mater this concern, but did not receive a response.

Lastly, a month ago, I asked for opinions on keeping Real Trade (BVI) on our List.

I posted this request:

There have been no responses to this request, so I’m asking again:

Should we keep them, or boot them?

.[/QUOTE]

Hi,

I have been trading with RealTrade (realtrader.org) on and off for the last 5 years.

Very efficient: fast communication via email, fast deposit/withdrawal via Paypal, I never
had an issue with them.

Very happy with them.

nitya1us

Update: After lengthy communication with Renesource support (who are excellent) I have been unable to open an account. Latvian regulations require US residents with US citizenship to have their passports “apostilled” (I needed to look it up). I believe this can be done by a notary.

However, I am not a US citizen, and my country of citizenship is not a party to the Apostille Convention. As such, I would need to take my passport to the Latvian embassy or consulate to have it approved. The embassy is in DC and the distributed consulates are just “honorary consulates” i.e. individuals who are apparently unwilling or unable to approve the document (they haven’t responded to my messages).

All in all, the company seems completely legitimate, and eager to follow their country’s regulations. If you’re considering opening an account, know that there’s a significant amount of legwork required.

Great news, hopefully this will lead to an entire repeal of the awful disaster Dodd-Frank!

I can’t post a link, but google this and it will come up, it’s all over the news everywhere:

washington post trump executive order wall street

Well that may be true, but Dodd-Frank still needs to be repealed. Hopefully with the new Presidential administration small investors will be encouraged and appreciated once again and this will include retail forex trading in the United States. Maybe Trump will abolish the CFTC!

Maybe some FATCA too, while you’re at it, Mr Trump?
A little de-SarbOx’ing? LOL :35: