FinFX Brokerage Overview

I’ve developed a new intra-day strategy which requires access to higher leverage. After reading through the epic 301 Moved Permanently thread, I’ve decided to go with FinFX.

I thought I’d try and post a breakdown of the basics of what you’ll find at this brokerage as well as create a potential repository of info about this broker as I don’t see an active thread dedicated to this particular broker when running a search-by-thread-title. So here goes.

FinFX is pretty much the leading Forex Broker in Finland. They’re a newer company and are doing a lot to earn a good name or themselves by providing great service to their customers. While they don’t advertise it, I’m sure that behind closed doors they have also decided to carve out a niche in the FX brokerage world by meeting a very specific need. That is they are looking to meet the needs of US traders who want access to higher leverage. In order to do this, FinFX is essentially willing to stand up to the mighty CFTC and tell them to pound sand when attempt to dictate terms to the world as to how they are to interact with U.S. clients.

Here’s a list of some of the pros and cons of this brokerage:
[ul]
[li][B]Higher Leverage [/B]- the company lists 100:1 leverage as standard and you get the option to choose that when signing up for an account. Once the account is established though, you can get that boosted to 200:1 by contacting the company directly.
[/li][li][B]Accepts U.S. Clients[/B] - the company has the stones to stand up the CFTC and tell them to suck wind when it comes to the Dodd-Frank requirement that any broker who wants to work with U.S. clients must register with the CFTC and follow their prescribed rules. This includes the 50:1 leverage limit and a slew of on-demand reporting requirements which are suppose to provide transparency but, in fact, just create an increased regulatory burden that is so unrealistic that most brokers have decided to turn away the large pool of business that U.S. traders represent and instead focus on non-U.S. customers.
[/li][li][B]No Regulation[/B] - it appears that Finland doesn’t consider Forex trading as an “investment” on part with equities and such. Thus it’s unregulated. This is probably a big reason why it’s easy for U.S. customers to get set up here. This cuts both ways though.
[/li][li][B]Nobody Making You Whole[/B] - with no regulation and no Finnish government oversight you can bet your bottom dollar that there is no FDIC-style fund out there that will make whole the various traders who are working through FinFX. Of course the point could be made that anyone still living in the pipe-dream that says that if my financial or investmnt institution goes down, I should have my principal restored deserves what they get. Ask the clites on MFGlobal and PFGBest how much money they’re getting back.
[/li][li][B]Integral Liquidity Provider[/B] - do a google search on Integral and you’ll find mostly glowing praise. They’re considered among the best out there right now and the Integral FX Grid platform is who FinFX gets their liquidity from.
[/li][li][B]Relatively Low Cost[/B] - spreads on their market maker accounts seem to be competitive but I’m less interested in that myself as I’m looking for the smallest spreads possible to prevent me from getting pulled out of a trade early simply because of the spread. That means the ECN account is what’s of interest to me. Commissions on their standard ECN account is $7.00 per lot round turn. If you have a larger balance, their ECN Pro account can bring that down to $6.00 per lot round tern. Since it IS possible to get as much as a $0.60 p/lot rebate via an Introducing broker, that means that you can get costs down to $5.40 per lot…which is rather competitive.
[/li][li][B]True PAMM Account[/B] - if you’re good at what you do, you might find yourself being swamped with people throwing their money at you to try and get a taste of your strategy in action. FinFX has a true PAMM account which creates a virtual pool of funds when placing trades on behalf of the entire group. The U.S. Government doesn’t like PAMM because it looks too much like a “commodity pool”…even if it isn’t one. There are other solutions out there for those looking to manage money, but again, if your strategy requires high leverage then your not going to be able to execute that strategy for anyone if you reside in the U.S. or the people who want you to trade for them reside in the U.S. unless they decide to go with FinFX. Good thing that this broker already has the whole PAMM thing locked on. The PAMM account reside on the ECN PRO server, so in theory you should get slightly faster execution. It also requires a higher investment though. People who want to follow your trades via PAMM need to be thinking about opening balance in the thousands of dollars and not hundreds of dollars.
[/li][/ul]

There is one thing that anyone who’s looking to start out on a shoe-string needs to consider before signing up though. FinFX requires the following three items when establishing and funding a live account:

[B]1) Utility Bill[/B] - they don’t want a cell phone bill or car insurance bill. They want some type of hard utility that establishes your residence at the address you provided on your application.

[B]2) Recent Bank Statement[/B] - this too is used to verify that you really are present at the address you provide. The statement must show your address and it needs to match up with the utility bill and what you provided on the application.

[B]3) Scan of Passport -[/B] this is the BIG stumbling block in my opinion. When I signed up for my account I immediately got an email requesting this along with the other two items above. I immediately got online with their live chat people and asked if my driver’s license would work for government-issued photo ID. They said that their new “Know Your Customer” policy requires a copy of the passport and that this is the ONLY thing that will satisfy them where photo ID is concerned.

This really sucks. A visit to the U.S. Postal Service website states that processing passports typically takes WEEKS. [B]It also costs about $200 to get it expedited![/B] I found that there are regional offices one can make an appointment to go to which will issue you a new passport within 5 days of application. I was lucky and was able to schedule one up the very next day. Your mileage may vary.

In any case, if you DON’T have a passport and you were planning on doing that whole thing where you invest $200 or less and play the game with micro lots instead of using a demo account, then the $200 expense of getting a passport might just make this not the best broker to start with. Other than that, this broker seems to be about as good as it’s going to get for U.S. customers looking to work strategies that require higher leverage.

I’ll update the post later after I can give insight on how quick I can get withdraws done as well as go over other aspects which can only be properly assessed once trading live for a number of months.

Does anyone have any updates on this broker? Trading with larger amounts like 50,000 USD and any problems with withdrawing funds? Spreads and slippage?

FinFX - one of my favourite broker, along with FxPRIMUS which I think has the best spread I ever seen…
Spread at Fins is quite good, not sure about large amounts, I have 8k EUR account there, trading around 1 - 1.5 standard lot and so far no problem with slippage…

thanks for the info, I will also look into FxPRIMUS

I just signed up with FinFX and they offered to accept a driver’s license + social security card + birth certificate in place of the passport (which is basically the same info you have to provide in order to get a passport). I don’t travel internationally thus, I’ve never needed a passport. Just thought I’d let you guys know that a passport isn’t necessarily “required”.

However, I did not know that US clients could get 200:1 leverage. I signed up for the 50:1 which I thought everyone required of US clients. I’ll have to see about bumping that up. Thanks for that info.

I was also able to open the account with Social Security Card, Driver’s License, and Birth Certificate. About the Leverage when you open the account you can open it with 1:100 leverage. Once your account is open you can request a bump on the leverage fro 1:200. They will approve it pretty quickly.

Just4PIPS,

I’m attempting to fund my FinFX account via bank debit card. They state that the deposit will go through Moneybookers and the MB site doesn’t appear to take US debit cards, even with a Visa/Mastercard logo on it.

Can you or anyone else who has used a debit card to fund their account clarify this…?

thanks.

What has been anyone’s experience on execution, deposits and withdrawals involving larger account balances (US$25,000 and higher); particularly large ($US5,000 and higher) withdrawals of profits?

I’m with FinFX since early 2010. I have withdrawn more than my initial investment, but over time and in small slices of EUR 1k or 2k each.

Does anyone have experience with the ECN Pro accounts on the servers in NY?

Question for traders who work with Finfx…

I would like to move $10k into my account with Finfx, which I can do by creating a positive balance on a credit card and deposit the money via the card. The issue that I am attempting to solve is, how to do the withdrawals. I’ve exchanged emails with Finfx customer service and they do not process withdrawals back to credit cards… they process withdrawals via skrill / moneybookers (who I don’t trust and have heard numerous bad things about from trader friends) or bank wire.

Wiring the withdrawals to my bank would be great, unfortunately, my little small-town US bank does not send nor receive international wire transfers. A trader friend suggested opening an account with Loyal Bank in St. Vincent in the Caribbean, which is what he did. A great suggestion but, still doesn’t solve the issue of getting the Finfx withdrawals back to my US bank.

I’ve looked into opening an account with a “big bank” in the US that would be able to wire money. I google searched “big bank international wire” and found links to several interesting articles… apparently, even big banks are going to stop doing international money wires.

I would post links to the articles but, I don’t have enough posts here yet to be allowed to include the links so, you’ll have to do the same google search to see the articles that I’m referring to. Sorry.

There’s got to be a way to circumvent this problem. I just haven’t come up with one yet. So, any suggestions from you folks would be greatly appreciated.

Why would you want to open an account with a bank in the Caribbean? There are international banks like HSBC and US banks like Citi who offer online banking for US citizens.

Regarding the fee structure mentioned by the OP, the best IB offer I’ve seen so far is a commission rebate of $0.75. Sometimes competition is a good thing.

I don’t want to open an account with a bank in the Caribbean. That’s the whole point.

Re: US banks, take a moment to do the google search that I mentioned in my previous post. I’d post the links myself but, I can’t yet. US banks, starting with Chase in mid-November, are banning international wire transfers. Other big banks are likely to follow as this is part of the Frank-Dodd act.

Thus, I thought someone here, who also uses Finfx, might have some suggestions.

I would be surprised if Chase and other banks actually ceased offering international wires. For now it seems Chase is just increasing the fees for small businesses. But you can always wait a month to see if international wires are still available then.

No, JPM Isn’t Banning International Wire Transfers, No Limits On Withdrawals Either - Forbes

I agree with the others that you don’t need a passport to sign up. In place of that, I needed to use 3 pieces of government (canadian) ID. A driver’s license, SIN card, and birth certificate. I also don’t have a utility bill (renting right now), so they accepted a bank statement, as well as a recent stamped transaction receipt signed by both myself and the teller. There was a minor delay when they were examining my bank account number (the scan of my monthly statement had only my account number, not the account+branch+bank numbers that I put in the account field when signing up), but I uploaded the document that the teller filled out, explaining to me how my wire transfer information worked. Once they got that, my account was good to go.

Finfx no longer states that they’re with integral anymore on their website (nor does it show up on integral’s site either). That gave me a kind of sinking feeling in my stomach. But further investigation showed that Finfx’s bank Rietumu Banka is partnered with Integral. So I guess they’re still working with them through the bank.

I’m liking the transparency in Finfx’s back office. Going to wire the money on monday so it’s still a bunch of zeroes, but in my profile it shows how the money is split up between various bank accounts, and they will also show who my last trade was pitted against. Also, it appears Finland is forming the Finnish Securities Agency for Forex. Which will soon put an end to the “unregulated” stigma. From what I gather, Finland has a neutral stance with the U.S. and Canada, so hopefully that won’t affect my trading. They are however voting I believe in may to either expand trade with Russia, or try to get into NATO. Hopefully it’s the former, and not the latter. Because if it is the latter, they’ll likely start shutting down NA accounts.

I’ve seen some bitter reviews about them, but they’re likely from traders that had no idea what they were doing (usually people that were with them <3 months). All the ones that were 1+ years were excellent ratings. I guess it’s kind of like the ps4 at launch. Only the people with crap consoles complained. Everyone else who was enjoying it was too busy to write a review.

I’ll put up another post after a few weeks of trading, and another when I wire some money out of my account.

Okay, it hasn’t exactly been a few weeks (only been a couple of days), but thought I’d give a small update.
First off, I applied for, and received an upgrade to 1:200 leverage. They also now have an option for 1:300, so I’m guessing the capital is flowing into their business. They still have a AAA credit rating, so although they’re not regulated yet, their business is showing some very good signs.

Trading has gone very well so far. Execution has been very swift, and I have experienced zero downtime. None of those drops, followed with a quick reconnect that I’d experience sometimes during demo. The wire transfer took 5 days to get there (it came from canada), which was expected since their bank is in europe. I got the email that the funds were received early monday morning right before I went to bed. Which was perfect timing, it set me up for a nice 40 pip trade on the GBP/USD. :slight_smile:

Did experience both negative and positive slippage. Had a short going on the AUD/JPY, and my take profit was basically at the bottom of a very volatile news release, so it didn’t take. Had to wait about half a day or so, but the market eventually went where I thought it would and I made my money. On the positive side, I had a long on the GBP/JPY before that news hit, and it was set to take a small loss (made a stupid trade). Low and behold, the news came out, and it went favorably right past my trade. I kicked myself for not setting it to take a profit, but thought “Hey. It hit where I hoped it would, I’ll take the small loss.”

That’s when I checked my account summary, and found that the trade actually closed about 6 pips higher than I had set it at, giving me a small win instead! They didn’t lie about positive slippage, that’s for sure!

All in all, it’s only been about 30-some-odd hours that I’ve been trading with them, but have zero complaints, and almost 10% profit to boot!

I have been trying to determine the fees associated with US based wire transfers into a FinFX account. While FinFX states they do not charge a fee for incoming wire transfers, they do state “be aware that intermediary banks may take their own fee of the transfer.” which they can not or will not expound on. They did suggest I contact Rietumu, which I have sent an email to and am awaiting a response. I hoping someone here who has funded with wire transfer could give me some idea what these phantom intermediary bank fees consist of. I’m wondering how substantial these fees may be compared to the 2.9%+ of their other funding options… Thanks!

Hard to say because it really depends on the involved banks. Based on my general experience I would expect something in the $25 to $50 range. Usually banks offer an “OUR” fee option, meaning that the sender pays all fees that occur while the money moves towards the recipient. Your bank should be able to give you an indication for those fees. I am based in Europe so the transfer to FinFX is more or less for free, but the last time I funded an Australian account by wire transfer I paid about EUR 30. Rule of thumb: small amounts = credit card and everything else that charges percentage fees, large amount = wire transfer.

Thanks jfx for the reply. It’s just a little concerning when there are open ended fees for an international transaction, and you can’t really get even an approximate value (like you offered) for the service until after the fact. I know my bank will charge me for an outgoing wire, but they make those fees very clear, I’m not even sure how many hands will touch the wire transfer en route, and possibly take their little slice. Hopefully Rietumu will be willing/able to give me a more precise quote for fees given the hypothetical deposit I proposed to them in my email.

I did receive a response from another broker based in Finland who stated that to date, they have seen no fees in 80% of the wire transfers originating from the US, and the other 20% have experienced a maximum fee of $20. If I can get a confirmation of a similar situation in regard to FinFX and their partners, that will be a relief…

So apparently FinFX is closing down their retails business.

Through acquisition of FinFX’s retail business CySec regulated broker Best Choice FBC Limited (incorporated in the Republic of Cyprus under registration number HE 311543 and regulated by the Cyprus Securities and Exchange Commission (CySEC) under license number 234/14) will continue to operate under the “FinFX “brand. The main driver behind this strategic decision is to provide a regulated and transparent entity for our client base. With effect as of opening business on Monday, June 1st 2015, your trading account(s) and open positions will be transferred.

Has anyone decided whether to stick with the new broker or not?

Interesting. Finfx just dumped their US clients in January (if I remember correctly) to Tallinex. Now they’re getting out of the biz, or being bought out, completely???