Arbitrage Trading?

As a relatively new comer to forex (less than 12 months) I’ve been studying all strategies and have a good understanding of many, but one thing I don’t understand is arbitrage trading. I don’t know what it is, how it works and why brokers cannot accept this strategy.

Can anyone explain for me?

I am glad you know that Forex Brokers does not allow this strategy. Arbitrage simply means taking advantage of market imperfection. It is also regarded as stealing. I suggest you forget about this strategy, unless you are looking for a fast way to make profit. Am not sure if any broker will allow you to withdraw profits made from arbitrage…

Do you suggest that I don’t bother exploring this strategy more? Is there any broker that can expect arbitrage?

arbitrage are simply trading idea, the idea is to catch small fraction price market move between two different trading account. you can google it for better explanation. well, I’ll try put easy example of how the arbitrage idea done with fx market price. take EURGBP, open two different demo account with different brokers. and see how thus pair are simply giving different EG reading, said 0.7001 with account A, while with account B it shown 0.7008. use the information at account B, in tiny second EG price at account A will eventually reach same price goes to 0.7008. I once playing around with some arb EA, no profitable outcome, but still interesting fill out my spare time and tested different setting.
hope it helps, if you insist I can freely share the ea and how to implemented, but dont expect too much upon, see this as educational purpose only, just to fill out your curiosity. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Then arbitrage makes market more perfect :slight_smile: Arbitrage adds liquidity and integrity to the market. Arbitrage also limits dishonest brokers.

I agree. The greatest enemy of the arbitrage is greed! Arbitrageurs must fight with greed. It is hard to turn off profitable system and not to go big, but it is better to be consistent, with reasonable profits.

You will find good explanation here: arbitrageur.eu with possibility to employ arbitrage strategies on demo accounts.

Interesting… do you know somebody called gibon? PM me.

Dear ontario,
I recently read about arbitrate EA and is doing a study on it. I would like to play with it.
Can you share the EA and guide me to implement it?

Arbitrage is impossible with retail brokers. Speed disadvantage as well as broker restrictions. You will get either your account banned or deposit blown out.

1 Like

Both Tradersway.com and MyFXChoice.com are true ECN/STP brokers and welcome all types of trading and EA’s including Arbitrage and High Frequency Trading. The more you make, the more they make.

I agree unfortunately. Also the MT4 platform is very slow.

Here everything is clear.

Yes, many brokers do not allow arbitrage because it is considered as a market abusing strategy. You should consider the fact as well that even though there are brokers who do allow it, their LPs might put a stop to it as basically you are stealing from them. So even though the broker accepts this strategy, if the LPs files a complaint against the account, the broker will have no choice but to freeze the account and take away the profit so I am not sure if this method is such a good idea.

Have you personally experienced such issues? It does make a lot sense that if broker accepts arbitrage it may work through ECN model.

I really don’t know how a broker can catch a trader using this strategy. Trader normally using 2 accounts at 2 separate brokers to implement this and basically you cannot know. Maybe it’s just a rule and only beginner trader get caught.

As far as I know some brokers have the so called anti-arbitrage plug-in which catches this strategy and protects them. Once the plugin detects the arbitrage attempts, then the broker refuses to pay you the profits and sometimes suspends your account. Of course, there are brokers which allow it (usually A-Book) but I am not sure if their liquidity providers would not be affected and still block this method.

Those who are able to do it successfully tend to not talk about it.

Indeed, and those traders get caught, I think two brokers you have accounts could somehow link together, maybe same mother company.

The liquidity providers might be able to figure it out. If one were allowed to do broker arbitrage unchecked and take all profits from it, it’d be the holy grail. The technical hurdles for doing it, even with MT4, are overblown. It is technically not that difficult. MT4 is plenty fast enough to detect and profit from broker arbitrage opportunities. One has to understand how to get around the perceived limitations of the MT4/MQ4 programming model, plus know how to implement efficient two-way inter-process communication.

In the case of Traderway, I think they have language that could be interpreted as anti-arbitrage.

From section 9.2 of their client agreement:

“The Customer acknowledges, understands and agrees that the Company reserves the right to refuse to accept
any order; all orders shall be executed in compliance with the Trading Rules; the Company may cancel any
erroneous transaction resulting from mistaken (nonmarket) quotation, transmission errors, illegal network
interventions, internet failures, interruptions or any other reasons.”

I’m looking specifically at the “mistaken (nonmarket) quotation” part. How is that defined when it’s very rare or even nonexistent that any two brokers’ feeds agree all of the time at any given millisecond?

The broker has complete leeway to let us keep our profits, or not. They may never know, nor should they be allowed to know, the details behind any trading strategy a trader employs. A reasonable trader thinks, hey, why am I not free to look at anything I want to make trading decisions? Answer: we are free to do that but so is the broker free to pay or not pay out your profits (I guess they’re not profits if you’re not allowed access to them).

Seeking arbitrage opportunities is a perfectly rational approach to making profits. However, since successful implementations of it are so powerful, brokers can’t afford to let everyone do it, or even one single arbitrageur for very long. You’d suck up all the available money.