IC Markets BS?

Hi Everyone,

I am a newbie to forex trading. After some research I decided to open an account with ‘IC Markets’. But there’s just one issue that’s holding me back.

Following is from ‘IC Markets’ FAQs (icmarkets.com/client-area/faq/)

"Where are your trading servers located?

IC Markets has server located in the Equinix NY4 data centre, New York.
Details regarding our live Metatrader 4 servers are outlined below:
True ECN Server Primary
IP Address: 38.76.4.17
Hostname: live01.icmarkets.com
Location: Equinix NY4, New York, USA (11 miles from Wall Street)
True ECN Server Secondary
IP Address: 38.76.4.102
Hostname: live02.icmarkets.com
Location: Equinix NY4, New York, USA (11 miles from Wall Street)"

If you try to resolve live01.icmarkets.com & live02.icmarkets.com you’ll get different IP addresses (170.75.200.10 & 170.75.200.11) and if you use iplocation.net OR ip2location.com you’ll find that these servers are located in San Diego not NY.

I tried to get an answer from their customer support to no avail. They just repeated the same lie that their servers are in NY.

Can someone please comment on it. Thx.

Can’t comment to much on IC Markets marketing plan and server location. I do trade with them but on a different server to the one’s listed but to be honest, bro, it just doesn’t matter.

But as a newbie to trading, your putting the horse before the cart. Server location means nothing if you don’t have a proven strategy. Have you reached that stage yet???

In that case, their server location isn’t relevant to you.

It matters only to ultra-fast scalpers and people running high-frequency trading algorithms.

A split-second’s difference in the execution-time of your trades will make absolutely no difference to you at all.

There’s a huge number of issues in forex-trading which newbie traders have to be aware of and learn something about, but fortunately this isn’t one of them. As Bob wisely observes above, “it just doesn’t matter”. :wink:

And welcome to the forum.

This is so, so true. Liquidity in the market place is by far a bigger issue for us small arm-chair traders. Don’t know how many times I’ve hit the buy/sell or close button only to sit staring at the screen wondering how long it’s going to take to be filled. Absolutely nothing in this game is here for the benefit of us amateurs.

Guys …thank you for your response. Really appreciate it.

I couldn’t care less about the location of the server. They could have their servers in Kabul.

But if a reputable broker like IC Markets, which is operating in a fairly regulated environment, is grossly misrepresenting facts, why shouldn’t I just go with a broker from Cayman Islands with superior trading conditions.

it may doesmt matter to much whee the location of the servers are but it does matter where the legal and law lication of your broker is.

Still got the cart before the horse bro. Now. I’m not here to advertise IC Markets. But here are the locations I can log into my server from.

As you can see, multiply access for the live05 server, The same applies for their Live01 and Live02 servers ( and 3 and 4 and so on). Now I don’t know how brokers work internally. But I do know IC Markets came under cyber attack last year when they had only 1/4 of these access points available. Part of their responce was to increase these. The server you will be allocated to depends on your trading, initially you will be on their “B” books. If(big big if)you get good enough they’ll put you on their “A” books and send you out a new server. You work with an IB they put you on another.

Maybe someone with better knowledge can expand on this.

But, by all means, think you can get a better deal out of the Cayman Islands then you go for it bro.I suspect where-ever you go the broker is going to be rubbing his hands together and putting a deposit on that new boat he’ll get from your money!

Tuff gig this one.

IC are a good broker but I found you get hit with a lot of negative slippage and not much positive

I hear this a lot about IC Markets but don’t actually experience it myself. I find what negative slippage I do experience is more due to me entering the markets that are either volatile or lack liquidity. Which by chance is when slippage is going to occur.

I find slippage is an excuse for traders whom don’t take responsibility for their trade decisions.

1 Like

I was going to invest my funds after starting a demo acct with IC markets until this morning. My ICM Demo acct locked up just before the NZ/USD dropped as I was waiting paitently for the reversal. Funnily enough i am using plus500 on demo as well and had no issues with connection and was able to make quite a good profit.

so If my demo account with ICM locks up at critical times what chance will I have when all my hard earned dollars are on the line. Not happy as I thought they were the one I would make my first dabble with. Now who do I go with? I still plan on scalping but have lost confidence with ICM!

Did you discuss this issue with customer service. Or have you just joined to expressed your disappointment here.

Not sure where you’re from but ICM aren’t the only fish in the pond in Australia. Pepperstone, Vantage, IG and CMC to name a few. Plus500 are a bucket shop. Or you can open up an account with bkhan101 in the Cayman’s bro.

Do be diligent in your broker search bro. Most importantly download their PDS. General rule of thumb, the more they disclosure the better.

Thankyou for the reply Bobbillbrowne, I joined to express my gratitude to the crew that support this forum. I have learnt a lot from the school section and decided it was time to thank the makers (so to speak).

I am located in Aus and still looking for a good intraday provider to minimise the margins required to trade. I have heard mixed reviews about Pepperstone chasing stop losses and had almost decided to go with ICM until today. I didn’t contact customer service as I felt there was no point. My decision has been made to not go with them as I want 100% stability with the system even if my trades are unwise…lol

Also I should have written retracement not reversal but just watching a double tap atm.

Chasing stops is a term deemed by losers for their poor trading decisions. It’s a practice by old school bucket shops not modern regulated industry “leaders” ( leaders is used very losely as regardless to the marketing terminology they wish to use, all retail brokers take the opposite side of your trade making them a market maker). If you have the funds your are far better sourcing a prime broker.

But just for the exercise, live and demo trading are two different beast, specially if you’re pursuing the horrifying world of day trading. Open a small account first and test run. If you don’t like what you see, close and try another broker. The business requires patience and a well planned process that you need to follow through on before committing full funding.

Best of luck bro.

Bob

1 Like

I check the ping time to ICMarket live4 server address

the ping time from New York VPS to the ICMarket live4 is 2ms
while from Los Angeles (San Diego ) is 60ms

the VPS company inform me the ICMarket live4 is located in New York

you can try yourself

i can’t post link

you can google search RamNode Looking Glass
and select the ping location