How much does the average forex trader make?
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 95
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: How much does the average forex trader make?

  1. #1
    Yarcofin's Avatar
    Yarcofin is offline Master Contributor and Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    304

    Question How much does the average forex trader make?

    Hello everyone,

    I was just wondering how much the average full-time forex trader makes. You can express this amount either as a percent return on their investment, or a dollar amount. I realize that there is likely swings in their return, but I just mean on average over the course of the year.

    What kind of initial deposit is required to successfully trade full-time and make a decent living at it?

    Finally, is there a large difference in return between day-traders and swing-traders?

    The reason I ask is because I will be done college at the end of this month, and I would really prefer to trade forex full-time rather than get a regular office job if it is at all feasible. I've been trading forex in a demo account for over 2 months now and I've had relatively good results. I started with a $10,000 balance and some days I can be up $1,000 or more... of course I got a margin call and went broke once, but I've learned from my mistakes. I plan on spending at least the summer honing my forex skills, but I was hoping I could make this a viable alternative to the average mind-numbing desk job some day.

    Thanks for the input!
    kevintrader101 and Amale Sara like this.

  2. #2
    abner is offline Banned Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Millville NB, Canada
    Posts
    109
    i don't know if i'm average or not, I do about 10% a month give or take.
    Pokrajac likes this.

  3. #3
    Piphacker's Avatar
    Piphacker is offline Superior Master Contributor and Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Pip World!!!
    Posts
    628
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarcofin View Post
    Hello everyone,

    I was just wondering how much the average full-time forex trader makes. You can express this amount either as a percent return on their investment, or a dollar amount. I realize that there is likely swings in their return, but I just mean on average over the course of the year.

    What kind of initial deposit is required to successfully trade full-time and make a decent living at it?

    Finally, is there a large difference in return between day-traders and swing-traders?

    The reason I ask is because I will be done college at the end of this month, and I would really prefer to trade forex full-time rather than get a regular office job if it is at all feasible. I've been trading forex in a demo account for over 2 months now and I've had relatively good results. I started with a $10,000 balance and some days I can be up $1,000 or more... of course I got a margin call and went broke once, but I've learned from my mistakes. I plan on spending at least the summer honing my forex skills, but I was hoping I could make this a viable alternative to the average mind-numbing desk job some day.

    Thanks for the input!
    Well according to my point of view your two month demo practice is nothing ...You need more experience... Take your time , Do any Job and meanwhile learn also in your free time... Forex is not so easy as you are thinking...It's a deadly dangerous business... Just two months practice will never truns you out to be a full time successfull forex trader...You May blow out your account while doing experiments and testing new & new stratigies and techniques on real as your experience is of just two month's...
    & about your question that how much a fulltime forex trader may make...Then answer is its experience... If a trader is with excellent experience not less than 2-Year's than he can make good Pip's... Also no system in a world is perfect...Its just your Brain...
    You have to find the key to success by your ownself & I Know its impossible to find the key to success in just 2-Months lol...
    GoodLuck
    PipHacker
    javierleejf and Francosm like this.

  4. #4
    Yarcofin's Avatar
    Yarcofin is offline Master Contributor and Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    304
    Yeah, I should have mentioned that I'm going to university for 2 more years and I will spend that spare time experimenting, reading, and breathing forex to learn as much as I can about it.

    I'm just curious if I stand any chance at being able to trade full-time in the future, or if I should just keep it as a hobby, or alternative investment to the stock market.
    Himel likes this.

  5. #5
    kagein's Avatar
    kagein is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    270
    Well, seeing as there's a statistics that says '95% of all traders lose their money' i would assume the average trader is losing money. Can you make a lot of money very quickly? Yes, if you trade using some good sound principles. Get a good method, have good money management and your half way there.

    If your serious about trading full time in the future, then don't consider it a hobby because your probably less likely to make money that way.
    javierleejf and Francosm like this.

  6. #6
    randont is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas USA
    Posts
    137
    I know 3 people who trade. One's been doing it for many many years and makes well over 10% a month. And the other two have been doing it for about 2 years one of them makes anywhere from -5% to +10%, in the green more often than not, and the other makes +10% to +100% a month. I demo and after two months I'm at +2 %, I might add that most of my losses are due to panic, greed, and over exitement . I've had some pretty good gains only to give the money back with a few horrible trades.

  7. #7
    mytwopips is offline Banned FX-Men Honorary Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,328
    Quote Originally Posted by randont View Post
    I know 3 people who trade. One's been doing it for many many years and makes well over 10% a month. And the other two have been doing it for about 2 years one of them makes anywhere from -5% to +10%, in the green more often than not, and the other makes +10% to +100% a month. I demo and after two months I'm at +2 %, I might add that most of my losses are due to panic, greed, and over exitement . I've had some pretty good gains only to give the money back with a few horrible trades.
    Keep trying. Find your weak areas and weed them out. Good Luck!

  8. #8
    Piphacker's Avatar
    Piphacker is offline Superior Master Contributor and Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Pip World!!!
    Posts
    628
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarcofin View Post
    Yeah, I should have mentioned that I'm going to university for 2 more years and I will spend that spare time experimenting, reading, and breathing forex to learn as much as I can about it.

    I'm just curious if I stand any chance at being able to trade full-time in the future, or if I should just keep it as a hobby, or alternative investment to the stock market.
    This will be excellent for you If you spend more and more time while practicing on demo... & Specially Two Year's demo practice will be like a gold for you...
    Im Optimistic About you that you will trun out to be an excellent forex trader after your hard practice of two year's...
    javierleejf likes this.

  9. #9
    Josef Benjamin is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The outskirts of Detroit
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by Piphacker View Post
    This will be excellent for you If you spend more and more time while practicing on demo... & Specially Two Year's demo practice will be like a gold for you...
    Im Optimistic About you that you will trun out to be an excellent forex trader after your hard practice of two year's...
    I disagree to a certain extent. He needs to spend more and more time doing the REAL thing. 2 more years of demo trading is a wast of your time. You did 2 months, that's enough, now it's time to add money into your trading account of choice, start small and use real coin.

    Take up a 1st and 2nd job, hopefully one that pays pretty well so you can afford to add siginifacant amounts of money into your account over time. I'm personally going to start trading seriously again at the 5,000 mark. At some point when you get good, you really want it to be worth your time...but for now, start with a small 250 to 500$ account.

    8/10, your going to blow it all, but atleast if you didn't know at this point, you know now lol. That's the 2nd reason to start really small, so it won't hurt as much as losing 5k - 10k initiallly.
    Amale Sara likes this.

  10. #10
    Piphacker's Avatar
    Piphacker is offline Superior Master Contributor and Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Pip World!!!
    Posts
    628
    Quote Originally Posted by Josef Benjamin View Post
    I disagree to a certain extent. He needs to spend more and more time doing the REAL thing. 2 more years of demo trading is a wast of your time. You did 2 months, that's enough, now it's time to add money into your trading account of choice, start small and use real coin.

    Take up a 1st and 2nd job, hopefully one that pays pretty well so you can afford to add siginifacant amounts of money into your account over time. I'm personally going to start trading seriously again at the 5,000 mark. At some point when you get good, you really want it to be worth your time...but for now, start with a small 250 to 500$ account.

    8/10, your going to blow it all, but atleast if you didn't know at this point, you know now lol. That's the 2nd reason to start really small, so it won't hurt as much as losing 5k - 10k initiallly.
    Hahahaha Hey Forex Kid this is why Aggresive people like you blow out there account... Never consider experience as a waste of time...it's a Jem & by doing different experiment's and testing new and new stratigies and system's on real is a straight way to blow out your account... & by testing the same new & new stratigies & system's on demo you can select a system which suit's you & after that one must have to become the habitual of getting pip's by practiciting it on demo with the development of his confidence.... & I dont think so that just two month practice is enough for that. Im not saying that must do practice for 2-Years on demo but atleast 4/5 Month's ... & why blowing out even $250-$500 again & again on real??? Isn't it batter to came on real with proper planning , practice & reliable forex system with all your own made rules & regulation
    There is no comparison of !!!
    1) Two Month's Practice...
    2) Two Year's Practice.....
    PipHacker!!!
    Last edited by Piphacker; 04-14-2008 at 01:02 AM.

Forum Sponsors
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
"He was a self-made man who owed his lack of success to nobody."
Joseph Heller