How much does the average forex trader make?

Hello everyone,

I was just wondering how much the average full-time forex trader makes. You can express this amount either as a percent return on their investment, or a dollar amount. I realize that there is likely swings in their return, but I just mean on average over the course of the year.

What kind of initial deposit is required to successfully trade full-time and make a decent living at it?

Finally, is there a large difference in return between day-traders and swing-traders?

The reason I ask is because I will be done college at the end of this month, and I would really prefer to trade forex full-time rather than get a regular office job if it is at all feasible. Iā€™ve been trading forex in a demo account for over 2 months now and Iā€™ve had relatively good results. I started with a $10,000 balance and some days I can be up $1,000 or moreā€¦ of course I got a margin call and went broke once, but Iā€™ve learned from my mistakes. I plan on spending at least the summer honing my forex skills, but I was hoping I could make this a viable alternative to the average mind-numbing desk job some day.

Thanks for the input!

4 Likes

i donā€™t know if iā€™m average or not, I do about 10% a month give or take.

3 Likes

[B]Well according to my point of view your two month demo practice is nothing ā€¦You need more experienceā€¦ Take your time , Do any Job and meanwhile learn also in your free timeā€¦ Forex is not so easy as you are thinkingā€¦Itā€™s a deadly dangerous businessā€¦ Just two months practice will never truns you out to be a full time successfull forex traderā€¦You May blow out your account while doing experiments and testing new & new stratigies and techniques on real as your experience is of just two monthā€™sā€¦
& about your question that how much a fulltime forex trader may makeā€¦Then answer is its experienceā€¦ If a trader is with excellent experience not less than 2-Yearā€™s than he can make good Pipā€™sā€¦ Also no system in a world is perfectā€¦Its just your Brainā€¦
You have to find the key to success by your ownself & I Know its impossible to find the key to success in just 2-Months lolā€¦
GoodLuck:)
PipHacker:D [/B]

10 Likes

Yeah, I should have mentioned that Iā€™m going to university for 2 more years and I will spend that spare time experimenting, reading, and breathing forex to learn as much as I can about it.

Iā€™m just curious if I stand any chance at being able to trade full-time in the future, or if I should just keep it as a hobby, or alternative investment to the stock market.

Well, seeing as thereā€™s a statistics that says ā€˜95% of all traders lose their moneyā€™ i would assume the average trader is losing money. Can you make a lot of money very quickly? Yes, if you trade using some good sound principles. Get a good method, have good money management and your half way there.

If your serious about trading full time in the future, then donā€™t consider it a hobby because your probably less likely to make money that way.

4 Likes

I know 3 people who trade. Oneā€™s been doing it for many many years and makes well over 10% a month. And the other two have been doing it for about 2 years one of them makes anywhere from -5% to +10%, in the green more often than not, and the other makes +10% to +100% a month. I demo and after two months Iā€™m at +2 %, I might add that most of my losses are due to panic, greed, and over exitement:o . Iā€™ve had some pretty good gains only to give the money back with a few horrible trades.

4 Likes

Keep trying. Find your weak areas and weed them out. Good Luck!

2 Likes

[B]This will be excellent for you If you spend more and more time while practicing on demoā€¦:stuck_out_tongue: & Specially Two Yearā€™s demo practice will be like a gold for youā€¦
Im Optimistic About you that you will trun out to be an excellent forex trader after your hard practice of two yearā€™sā€¦:cool: [/B]

1 Like

I disagree to a certain extent. He needs to spend more and more time doing the REAL thing. 2 more years of demo trading is a wast of your time. You did 2 months, thatā€™s enough, now itā€™s time to add money into your trading account of choice, start small and use real coin.

Take up a 1st and 2nd job, hopefully one that pays pretty well so you can afford to add siginifacant amounts of money into your account over time. Iā€™m personally going to start trading seriously again at the 5,000 mark. At some point when you get good, you really want it to be worth your timeā€¦but for now, start with a small 250 to 500$ account.

8/10, your going to blow it all, but atleast if you didnā€™t know at this point, you know now lol. Thatā€™s the 2nd reason to start really small, so it wonā€™t hurt as much as losing 5k - 10k initiallly.

5 Likes

[B]Hahahaha Hey Forex Kid this is why Aggresive people like you blow out there accountā€¦ Never consider experience as a waste of timeā€¦itā€™s a Jem & by doing different experimentā€™s and testing new and new stratigies and systemā€™s on real is a straight way to blow out your accountā€¦ & by testing the same new & new stratigies & systemā€™s on demo you can select a system which suitā€™s you & after that one must have to become the habitual of getting pipā€™s by practiciting it on demo with the development of his confidenceā€¦ & I dont think so that just two month practice is enough for that. Im not saying that must do practice for 2-Years on demo but atleast 4/5 Monthā€™s ā€¦ & why blowing out even $250-$500 again & again on real??? Isnā€™t it batter to came on real with proper planning , practice & reliable forex system with all your own made rules & regulation:D
There is no comparison of !!!

1. Two Monthā€™s Practiceā€¦
  2. Two Yearā€™s Practiceā€¦
    PipHacker!!!:smiley: [/B]
4 Likes

Id say the average forex trader does not make money. I have been reading a lot of posts and just hiding in the shadows. But it seems that most people dont even try to learn more about the markets, or even read about ā€˜mental fortitudeā€™.

I think with proper money management and a good system that you know well, and the pair you are trading wellā€¦ over time you can make more. Use a bit more leverage and try to make bigger gains on patterns you have seen before and know are usually going to go in your favor. Dont forget bigger losses though!

1 Like

It is very possible that most wouldbe traders end up quitting out of frustration and generally not having the work handed to them on a silver platter, but itā€™s important for you to rememberā€¦that you arnā€™t them.

90% of all ppl who venture into real estate fail.

90% of all people who venture into the music business quit

90% of all people who had but a simple dream - gave up

Thatā€™s the path they chooseā€¦there were never any special circumstances that prevented/prevents anyone from being who they want be and a make a great living. Itā€™s all you.

Basically, you can succeed only if you want to. I made that choice to suceed and you can to.

To the guy who responded to my previous statement - I donā€™t hold forum arguments with kids - there are better things to do with my time. All i can say to the poster is do your research and prepare yourself, as i tell all other newbies, to study VERY hardā€¦pretty soon, itā€™ll be 2nd nature to you.

6 Likes

The question is: How many pips can you make a day? If you can make just 15 pips a day, you can be rich beyond your wildest dreams.

ļæ½The most powerful force in the universe is compound interestļæ½ - Albert Einstein

Run this through your calculator: Start with $5000.00 capital, make 15 pips a day. Pay yourself a 40% salary of earnings. Reinvest 60% into your trading account. Risk 5% of your capital on each trade for the first year, 2% in the second and 1% in the third.

You will make over $200,000 salary in the first year. Your trading account will very quickly grow to over a million dollars.

Can you average 15 pips a day is the question?

11 Likes

I donā€™t know how you got $200,000 out of thisā€¦ ESPECIALLY if you are taking a 40% cut. Iā€™m all for playing the spreadsheet ā€œwhat ifā€ game, but this one just doesnā€™t work out.

You canā€™t increase your lot size after every trade or anythingā€¦ you have to increase it proportionally with your portfolio size or your risk will go way out of whack.

I did everything you described, except risking only 4% of your portfolio instead of 5%ā€¦ I only worked it out to about $40,000 in the first yearā€¦ less than that. I increased lot size in increments of 0.1 at a time

$5,000ā€¦ start with 0.2 lot size, 15 pips per trade = $30 per trade.

You have to wait until you get to $7,000 before you can increase lot sizes to 0.3 ($7,000x0.04.) That takes 68 days. Then you start making $45 per trade (0.3 lot = $3 per pip). And so on.

Although I worked out 50 pips a day, and that would result in a 600% return in 100 daysā€¦

6 Likes

Wow, I used to have this cool dream of becoming the unquestioned supreme leader of the world, everybody would be my unquestioned slaves and beautiful girls would all be mine, and Iā€™d be delightfully evil :cool:

But somehow my dream never came true :frowning:

So I recently decided to become a Forex Trader. Who knows if I am successfull and very rich maybe I can make my evil dream finally come true ā€¦

4 Likes

We share the same dreamā€¦

2 Likes

Here is how it should be calculated.

Isnā€™t one mini lot considered 0.1 lots, or $100? (Assuming youā€™re using 100:1 leverageā€¦)

Then 8 mini lots = $800.

$800 / $5,000 = 16% of your portfolio per trade, not 5%

And towards the end of year 3 itā€™s using 3%, not 1%.

Unless Iā€™m using the wrong numbersā€¦ itā€™s quite possible.

1 Like

Depends on which broker you use. I use GFT and they do 400:1 leverage on mini lots.

It doesnā€™t really matter though, you are still only risking the same amount on each trade no matter what.

I would suggest any trader use mini lots regardless of account size, it gives you better control over your risk management.

1 Like

ok, just for arguments sake, that we actually are up there in those numbers and actually placing those ā€œhundredsā€ of mini lots in one positionā€¦Iā€™d just like to know if anyone knows if the brokers would have any problems with that? I mean would they have limits?