Forex trading as a career? - Page 5
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Wow, I thought I was doing well getting pints for £1.60 at Uni a couple of years ago. Although a 90p more in 7/8 years is actually not too bad at all

Quote Originally Posted by geline View Post
    Are there anyone of you here who have thought of quitting your job
    just to be free to trade forex or do other online trading?

I am considering of doing this but I would like to know from you first
    and your advice.

Thanks.
    To make Forex your carrier is something that can be done. Many traders around actually trade to earn money and it is possible to do. However, you should know whether YOU are prepare to face it and live on Forex. There are who can do it because they know and understand what the market is all about. So do you think you know Forex completely and can depend on it for living??

My opinion is that nothing in life should be done halfarsed. I can't imagine that anyone who calls himself a trader can afford to work something completely different from 9 to 5, when he or she should be constantly keeping his eye and mind on the charts and fundamentals...Maybe some people figure gambling can be a hobby and same can apply to Forex too. It can, but I presume nothing will come out of it...Give yourself an intensive year of learning and at the same trading and if you see that you can really do it successfully, then that's it, you don't have to move on...What do you think?!

Quote Originally Posted by konan
    My opinion is that nothing in life should be done halfarsed. I can't imagine that anyone who calls himself a trader can afford to work something completely different from 9 to 5, when he or she should be constantly keeping his eye and mind on the charts and fundamentals...Maybe some people figure gambling can be a hobby and same can apply to Forex too. It can, but I presume nothing will come out of it...Give yourself an intensive year of learning and at the same trading and if you see that you can really do it successfully, then that's it, you don't have to move on...What do you think?!
    I think I'd have to disagree with you on that. One of the professional traders that I respect a ton, Ray Barros, said in an interview that he didn't become profitable for if I remember correctly 4 or 5 years. I agree things shouldn't be done half assed but I don't think doing something part time means you're doing it half assed. Right now I work full time during the day, go to part time classes at university AND still trade with good profitability. I believe you just need to know firstly to manage your time properly and how much work you can do.

Though obviously my goal is to have trading as my sole income but I think people can do both things if they tailor their trading style to how much time they have.

i agree. not a lot of people can afford to go into full time trading immediately.
    part time does not immediately equate to 'half assed'. it's more about productivity and time efficiency... and how much and how efficiently you absorb along the way

Quote Originally Posted by Aesop20 View Post
    Wow, I thought I was doing well getting pints for £1.60 at Uni a couple of years ago. Although a 90p more in 7/8 years is actually not too bad at all
    I graduated in '96, just before mobile 'phones, and suddenly it feels like the dark ages lol. But yes, there was one pub that did bitter at 70p a pint every day, usually it was 90p-£1.10 in other places. This was Leeds. Duty etc has made prices shoot up in the past few years - it's £3.20 a pint in my local, now, and that's Derbyshire not London.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonTemplar View Post
    Yes they can get repetitive!

There are people here who are part time and make a mess of it, losing lots of money, there are people here who are part time and make good money at it.

There will also be people who go full time and, for whatever reason, it does not work out for them, just as there are others who are full time and make good money at it.

The thread was started over six years ago and OP is now banned, but I would simply urge anyone reading not to be overly defined by others' views, particularly those of a handful of random posters on a largely anonymous internet forum (and yes, I include myself in that!).

If someone feels that their results are good enough to have a go at going full time then try it, obviously it can work out fantastically well. If it does not work out, at least you tried.

But to be influenced in that decision by such a small number of responses would be lunacy.

Trading works so will, therefore, work as a full time option for some. For others it will be a costly lesson in their own limitations. It's like most things in life!!!

So the threads repeat, but hopefully the ones like this don't influence people's decisions too much.

ST
    True. You are one smart man.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonTemplar View Post
    I graduated in '96, just before mobile 'phones, and suddenly it feels like the dark ages lol. But yes, there was one pub that did bitter at 70p a pint every day, usually it was 90p-£1.10 in other places. This was Leeds. Duty etc has made prices shoot up in the past few years - it's £3.20 a pint in my local, now, and that's Derbyshire not London.
    A pint on average around the uni was about £3, on campus at the SU and on student nights elsewhere it'd be around £1.60 give or take a few pennies. Back home down south i'll be lucky to see a nugget change from a fiver in a lot of places :O Only going to go up by the looks of things too.

Quote Originally Posted by grudovz View Post
    True. You are one smart man.
    Well it's very kind of you to say so. I simply tell it how I see it, but I very much appreciate the sentiment.

Quote Originally Posted by Aesop20 View Post
    A pint on average around the uni was about £3, on campus at the SU and on student nights elsewhere it'd be around £1.60 give or take a few pennies. Back home down south i'll be lucky to see a nugget change from a fiver in a lot of places :O Only going to go up by the looks of things too.
    It's as bad as fuelling the car. Now we really sound like two grumpy old men!

Quote Originally Posted by TopsandBottoms

I'm wondering what TrickShady is even doing here, since (s)he has such a shabby view of trading. Perhaps (s)he is being "tricky" and trying to discourage people under the illusion that (s)he is going to "save them in the long run."

My story...
    I have put in a few years to the forex markets, but I have had a life outside of trading, and I do work a full time job as well. What is interesting now, is that my trading activities are gaining my account an almost equivalent to what I earn in my day job salary. I'm not there yet, but I am looking forwards to the time when I will be able to earn way more money trading then I could in the current company for which I work. The irony is that I will be working less hours to make more money. How can that possibly do anything but improve my quality of life? More time to travel, more time with the significant other, and more time with the family when that comes along. As for trading being boring, hell, I argue the opposite, trading makes my day job look boring and something for the dull-witted to toil at for 8/9 hours a day. Trading is not for sheep, mind you, it is a full contact sport.

Yes, the OP is banned, yes the question was asked in 2006 (or whenever), but this is still a valid question and always will be.

Hi Topandbottoms,

Mind letting me know what trading style you using? Day trade or swing trade, time frame and which pairs?

Forum Sponsors