Forex trading as a career?

I personally want to quit my job so I can start trading full-time.

Be sure your trading profits can handle your expenses before you consider making the switch. Where the be sure part is based on atleast a year of consistent profitability

hey, that’s amazing. houses that cheap. would you mind telling when this was possible? :slight_smile:
now, is it like 5x to 10x that amount? :smiley:

1961 to be exact :slight_smile:

Average house price now in the UK is £162,900 as of the Land Registry Office.

Wow, I thought I was doing well getting pints for £1.60 at Uni a couple of years ago. Although a 90p more in 7/8 years is actually not too bad at all :stuck_out_tongue:

To make Forex your carrier is something that can be done. Many traders around actually trade to earn money and it is possible to do. However, you should know whether YOU are prepare to face it and live on Forex. There are who can do it because they know and understand what the market is all about. So do you think you know Forex completely and can depend on it for living??

My opinion is that nothing in life should be done halfarsed. I can’t imagine that anyone who calls himself a trader can afford to work something completely different from 9 to 5, when he or she should be constantly keeping his eye and mind on the charts and fundamentals…Maybe some people figure gambling can be a hobby and same can apply to Forex too. It can, but I presume nothing will come out of it…Give yourself an intensive year of learning and at the same trading and if you see that you can really do it successfully, then that’s it, you don’t have to move on…What do you think?!

I think I’d have to disagree with you on that. One of the professional traders that I respect a ton, Ray Barros, said in an interview that he didn’t become profitable for if I remember correctly 4 or 5 years. I agree things shouldn’t be done half assed but I don’t think doing something part time means you’re doing it half assed. Right now I work full time during the day, go to part time classes at university AND still trade with good profitability. I believe you just need to know firstly to manage your time properly and how much work you can do.

Though obviously my goal is to have trading as my sole income but I think people can do both things if they tailor their trading style to how much time they have.

i agree. not a lot of people can afford to go into full time trading immediately.
part time does not immediately equate to ‘half assed’. it’s more about productivity and time efficiency… and how much and how efficiently you absorb along the way

I graduated in '96, just before mobile 'phones, and suddenly it feels like the dark ages lol. But yes, there was one pub that did bitter at 70p a pint every day, usually it was 90p-£1.10 in other places. This was Leeds. Duty etc has made prices shoot up in the past few years - it’s £3.20 a pint in my local, now, and that’s Derbyshire not London.

True. You are one smart man. :slight_smile:

A pint on average around the uni was about £3, on campus at the SU and on student nights elsewhere it’d be around £1.60 give or take a few pennies. Back home down south i’ll be lucky to see a nugget change from a fiver in a lot of places :open_mouth: Only going to go up by the looks of things too.

Well it’s very kind of you to say so. I simply tell it how I see it, but I very much appreciate the sentiment.

It’s as bad as fuelling the car. Now we really sound like two grumpy old men!

Hi Topandbottoms,

Mind letting me know what trading style you using? Day trade or swing trade, time frame and which pairs?

Whoaa, its a great learning experience reading all the posts and the insights of these sensibly smart people offered here… by understanding the POVs and weigh each thought shared here…is making me better and better…by the time…

I must say it will be a stressful career.

Long shot for anyone - I’m sure you know the stats, 90%+ fail…

If you are are just starting out, make that closer to 99.99999% chance you will fail. trading takes thousands of hours of screen time along with analysis to gain an edge.

Forex is a good way to start though because it will give you an opportunity to get your feet wet with a relatively small capital outlay. Unfortunately, I trade futures but if I was new to the game, i would start with FX.

Best advice I can give (IMHO) paper trade for a bit and backtest to see if your strategies have potential. If you feel comfortable, go live only with $$ you are ready to lose… think of it as an education and everyone must pay their tuition :slight_smile:

No Idea in your country, just google brokers and their reviews. Elite Trader or Trade 2 Win are a couple of good sources of info.

Best of luck to you!

Word for word! And if Newbies don’t know what "paper trading " means , it’s just another (older) term for trading on a demo acct.
Btw buddy, why did you switch to futures…Was it to avoid market makers or something else…

That is my goal, to support myself and my family through forex trading. Now though, forex helps a bit but not that impactful… still a long ways to go for me.

And as long as you stick with it and are willing to work hard, you’ll get there! It’s a long but very rewarding road. :slight_smile:

SerenityFX