How many lots do you trade?

I think you should have a risk/ reward per $X
So for me every $500 I trade 0.05 . So when you get to $1k you should increase it only 0.10

I always trade with 0.02 - 0.10 lots. Never go above 0.10 lot with my 5K account.

So always trade with low lots. That will save you from Margin call. May be you can reduce leverage.

From an experienced trader’s view,
Depends on the current risk exposure.
Max risk at any time: 2%
Reasonable SL: 100 pips for a H4 trader; 60 pips for a H1 trader and so on…
For a 60K account, 2%= 1200
For Standard lots pip value= 10; so we make sure that regardless of the number of trades, the maximum lot
size for all trades should have a max exposure of 1200.
So an example of this:
Trade 1: 0.5 lot; SL= 100pips; exposure= 500
Trade 2: 0.7 lot; SL= 100 pips; exposure= 700
Once the SL is moved to BE for any of the trades, then a new equivalent lot size can be opened.
If the winning trades has 100 pips already locked in, then a newer lot of equivalent size can be opened.
The rest is quite complicated.
Bottom line: We have maintained the 2%, calculated lot sizes according to the exposure and the rest is up to the trading team.

I think lot sizes depend on account size, account type and the system

In micro account - 1 lot means trading with $200 and 1% risk and 20 pip stop loss in micro account
In mini account - 1 lot means trading with $20 loss if use 20 pip stop loss

I totally depends on your account size and trading system. Scalpers who are holding a position less than 1 second can open a larger amount of lots than long term traders. My average lot size is 1 - 2 lots.

is it hard stop? how you determine your SL? is it based on Daily ATR?

You can trade as much as you want if you have these funds in your account. It is this that my broker explained previously. If you have the finances, trade as large as you desire.

1+ Grix, Agree with you.

Ditto. Agree with Grix.

Grix has a great example there.
My risk per trade is 0.25%, and 2% exposed in the market at any one time, but that’s very rare
Lot size calculated by the SL I am using on the trade type

it depends on your balance and you risky. how much you can lose. you can know about it clearly

you have to figure in pip cost when deciding how many lots and do you mean you are trading one standard lot? To my knowledge thats 100k , I’m thinking you are trading one mini. the more you trade the more it will cost you. I go by the max. of 5% of my acct. in any one trade (not 5% each on a number of trades) you can get the pip cost from the Simple Dealing Rates schedule when you are placing a trade. For instance, for a one lot trade and a 100 pip stop loss it can could cost $1.10 per pip equalling a total loss of $110.00. Hope that helped. Good luck trading

You have to be more especific when you say one lot, because normally when trader say 1 lot, they reffer to one standard lot, which is 100,000 units. Then you have mini lots, micro lots and nano lots. So, I guess what you mean is a mini lot of 10,000 units.

NEVER risk more than 2% of your account per trade. And never more than 10% at any one time (all trades combined). My average size trade is .5% - 1% per trade.

i trade with risky that i allow.i allowed 3 % . i will base on it to calculate volume. it is effective we calculate lot before we has risky limit.

I mostly try to trade with 1 or 2 lots, not more than that. I want to remain focused on on one position . I can manage it easily. bog lot seems attractive to gain profits but new traders should avoid to take this risk.They should get practice on low lot.

Nice , You mention good point high lot is attractive but not easy to handle for beginners. Only professionals can do good with it . They choose best time to take high risk with big lot or more use more than one lot . They also make plan before how to deal with it. Then big lot can become profitable to them. I also trade with 1 lot normally.

The reason to trade with more lots is this that pipcrawler refered. You can cut down some of the position, for example if its profitable you can save some of your profits. Otherwise, you can use the method high risk high return.

U want to give it full shot

C’MON market price now gbpjpy 141.40
Take profit 140.35
I entered now

I recommend training yourself to trade profitably
Without exposing 5% margin at any point in time.