Day Trader, Lonely Trading Alone?

Hi, i’ve just started day trading forex a few months back. I do it at home full-time and looking at the monitor screens the whole day. There isn’t any colleague except for my dog. I am starting to talk more and more to him.

My question to day trader is…do you feel lonely?

4 Likes

But do you enjoy it?

Not being lonely I mean, but daytrading.

Yep it can get tedious, & mind numbingly boring, but there
are other distractions which appear on the net, such as
forums, fx chatrooms, etc.

The monetary insentive though, makes the boredom pearl
into insignificance.

1 Like

Hi thirstypip,

If you are lonely, come into the BabyPips Chatroom. You can find ppl there to chat with online.:slight_smile:

1 Like

I actually don’t mind the tedious part in terms of preparing the chart. But i do miss life with colleagues, with company events to go do, with people to go lunch with. Just wondering if anybody form physical groups (within the same country) to trade together? Well…just wishful thinking.

Yes…that’s the reason why i’m starting to post some threads, just to have someone to “talk to”. :slight_smile: May also enter the chatroom in future.

However, it may be healthier to be able to speak to someone face to face on a daily basis?

Are you a day trader too? How long have you been one? Thanks for all your suggestions.

1 Like

Sure. I will definitely do so. Hope to see you there. :wink:

Yep, over 3 years in forex & 5 years internet marketing.

When you have established a profitable system you will probably find
time to have a social life, but you need to figure out which comes
first, work or play.

1 Like

Personally I would much prefer to stay at home with my cat and dedicate myself 100% to trading rather than going to the office and deal with all the silliness there.

3 Likes

You�re right thirstypip because this is a based internet profession or career. If you do it full-time you need to spend your time with the computer�mmm� and as your dog can�t get it you�re alone. That�s why I recommend trade part-time. Not all my friends or relatives like forex, they guess it�s really difficult to make money here but they don�t even know how it works and I don�t mention anything about it. I prefer have them in a good mood and talk about different things�just a suggestion

Yes, aside from teaching your dog to trade with you, internet trading provides a virtual world for you to live in as stated previously (chat rooms, trading friends, etc)

For me its not a problem, as Ive been a “loner” all my life and frankly prefer depending on myself for my livelihood.

You can actually find another trader in your area and trade physically with her/him, you can trade only those hours that are the absolute most profitable which are the 1AM - 3:15 AM slot, holding your last trade till you then trade the 6AM - 7:15 AM slot, where you will then close previous trades and set new ones for the remainder of the day that you dont need to attend to, you can trade the longer timeframes and just walk away, go to the gym and find that hottie (male or female – your choice) which gives you other things to attend to during the day, or resume your full time job at mikey dees, where you can interract with the customers, milkshakes and double cheeseburgers !

As you can see, being able to create your own hours and make money at it is even more than the “american way” — its downright wonderful !

Golly, after a year of working alone, you should have enough to open your own “prop” shop, hire traders and then, smoking a huge havana cigar, walk from one to the other as theyre busy at their trading desks making money for you, slap them on the back and have any conversations you wish !

Forex is GRAND, you just must find your niche !

enjoy and trade well

mp

1 Like

So it seems like it’s pretty normal for trader to be “physically” alone, but virtually not. Definitely need some getting used to…for me. :slight_smile:

Yes. i do go gym every morning. But i don’t find any hottie hunks…haha…just a joke.

Anyway, “trade well” to everyone too. I hope that after a few more months/years of experience and successful trading, i will be able to let my trade develop without the need to babysit it.

Hi there, well reading your posts it seems that every trader is meant to be alone when he or she is actually trading. How sad is that, but wouldn’t it be great that you could sit with your friends and that you could all make up a trading plan that would work for all of them? That way you wouldn’t be alone and you and your friends would make all money and be happy. Just wishful thinking I guess.

By its nature, trading is a solitary pursuit which doesnt mean it cant be done with friends, lovers, pets or the australian army present, just that when you hit that button, its just YOU !

Im a “loner” and so very much enjoy the concept that I’m out there, alone with only my wits and rudimentary weapons, fighting for my piece of the survival pie and winning against great odds and thousands of other traders — while I dont subscribe to it being “warfare”, which many others do, I can at least understand the nature of what drives others to say that — i personally liken it to an intergalactic 3 dimensional chess game played with united federation “credits”. (LOL – sorry, but oncoming holidays have me in a giddy frame of mind)

Essentially, “its lonely at the top”, but where the buck stops is where that “buy” or “sell” button is located, and so be it !

but you can play the game as you wish — i have a few people on yahoo that i trade with “virtually” quite often, and it can be extremely pleasant to toss ideas against each other or “run it up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes !”, so doing it “virtually” or doing it in a hired office with the australian army in attendence would seem to work in either direction, depending on your desires !

now enough of the “how many angels can dance on the suface of a “buy” button” and on to developing great traders, not to forget that we have a wonderous holiday coming up and turkey sandwiches for weeks after, not to forget the soup in a week or so !

HAPPIEST OF HOLIDAY and may your meal be perfect, your spouse loving and/or your lover extroadinary(or both), your children dutiful, the IRS confused about where you live and your profits amassing !

ENJOY and trade well

mp (that little old solitary trading guy !)

Hi mp6140, i’m just wondering how you trade virtually with another person? Do you mean that there just isn’t any trade, just intention? Anyway, i’m enjoying your post and find them witty and humorous. You have a great Thanksgiving Day (there’s none over here where i live…sob).

Well, most if not all of my friends are busy chasing the rat race. They are working as employees during the day when i trade. So it’ll be a little difficult to find someone to trade together.

It might be difficult to find a location for groups to trade together. Like i need 2 monitors and a computer. If i trade with some friends at my house, then i’ll need to set up probably a few sets of equipments. Maybe when one starts making good profits, he/she can set up an office and invite all those who wants to trade to come together…:smiley:

LOL – It sorta falls into the realms of “phone romantic fullfillment” which is about as virtual as it gets !

mp

Dude why get virtual when you can actually have someone near you, I find it a bit strange, please don’t get me wrong, but would anyone on earth change something that you think is real for something that is in fact real.

DUDE – hmmmmmmm !

Nowhere did i state that i THINK virtual is real, just that the distractions of another person WHILE I AM TRADING interferes with that trading, which is VERY REAL cause im using VERY real money and a decent amount of it !

I trade every one of the timeframes at the same time and on a number of currencies and someone sneezing would probably throw me into a complete loss. (OK, my concentration level is lower than a baby ferrett, but its MY concentration level and it aint gonna change at this point !

Virtually, I could speak with them (which I dont do) or use my voice rec program to talk to them on yahoo, which I do, but its usually only support and resistance until things slow down after the london close. I might try the audio stream of conciousness routine again – havent done that in a few years !

But please understand, I’m a loner ---- have been for 2 of my 4 careers and simply dont want real distractions around me while trading. Virtual conversations can be ignored when things get hectic, but reality cant !

But thats what works for me, as I know plenty of traders who shut EVERYTHING off around them and just become one with their trading, not speaking to anyone till after hours !

For me, social time is social time and trading is my business, and I attend to business as needed !

of course, should the McGiver sisters desire to learn trading, I might make an exception if theyre wearing bikinis !

anyway, anyone can trade in the way that makes them comfortable — just for me, being completely concentrated and alone (except for SLINK, the nasdaq trained ferret, who handles my research with the NY times financial pages using the time honored “squat and pick” routine that she made famous) is how i like to trade. Oh yeah, in addition to clothes, I have CNBC on the tube, but its turned down pretty low !

enjoy thxgiving and the freedom from the 9-5
and trade well

mp

for me, i am a loner trader, i dont do day trade, but sometime i feel noone to talk about forex, stock as my business, b/c noone is around me know about those.

i do like team work more then, just individual, but i work hard, and wanna concentrate on my work when is come in real money.

teamwork is a lot better and easy make money too, but it require a LEADER, without a leader, things will mess around.

I also think that working alone is not that good, I understand that some people may have better results when working alone because they don’t have anything or anyone that may bother them and they are just working really focused. Teamwork works if there’s a leader of course and that the rest of the people agree with the leader and have a good relationship. I trade alone, well sometimes with my husband, it really helps. He, sometimes, helps me calculating the S/R and analyze the market with the indicators I’m using.

Different strokes for different folks makes the world go round !

btw, love him or not, “barrys support and resistance” custom indicator is ruddy spot on and frees your husband to do other things, such as wash dishes, mop floor, clean the attic, wash the car — you know, those man things !

enjoy and trade well

mp